Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've spent a couple of hours looking round this site as I do a lot of hill walking over the summer and have come across some unexplained wreckage in the past.
I found it quite interesting :rolleyes: :thumbup:

New Page 1

Just thought it might interest some here.

·
Sans contrefacon
32 Posts
I had no idea that places like this still existed. Fascinating stuff mate, one learns something new every day! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
+ 1

Think thats realy interesting :thumbright: I noticed that there was a memorial cairn by one of them, think there sould be one by more of them.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
+1
I had no idea so many wrecks exist in Scotland.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That's really interesting!!! Thanks for sharing the info:D:D:D

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Nice find Jim.

I've seen several sites like this. Shame they dont give co-ordinates, to allow a more personal perspective of each site to be gained, via a visit.

Been to the one at Glenlatterach - when I was there the engine block was still around - luverly big V12 Merlin :thumbup:.

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
you might also want to have a sufty at the ARG (The Airfield Research Group), AIX (Airfiled Information Exchange) forum and Archive websites, not so much about crash sites but we do cover both military and civil airfileds past and present... some fasinating reading in some threads (reminds me i need to update Macmerry).

The Airfield Information Exchange

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Intriguing stuff.
The 'Fairy Lochs' one, 4th one down, was about 10 miles from my home, 5 miles on road then another 5 up an Argo track. We push-biked up there when I were a lad for a look, & were warned not to touch anything by our parents. I remember us getting solemn once we saw the wreckage & realised people had been killed there.
Approx. grid ref NG 840 660 for interest.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Hi all, I've spent a couple of hours looking round this site as I do a lot of hill walking over the summer and have come across some unexplained wreckage in the past.
I found it quite interesting :rolleyes: :thumbup:

New Page 1

Just thought it might interest some here.

This is only the oldy air craft sites it does not include the Hawks ,tornado's, Jag's,F111's, f15's,f16's, Herc's various Helicopters and the A10's.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've looked into some of the newer sights, especially Buccaneers from here in Lossiemouth but they don't have the same appeal as all the wreckage has been removed. You could create the same effect on a hill with a digger, hole in ground, no wreckage so hard to picture the scene, no story :(. The old world war wrecks are interesting as you can visualise the scene by the remains.

Plenty of modern warfare going about today, both sites are buzzing, the Tornados are flying around Lossie tonight and there's been a few large turbo props flying from Kinloss today, not sure what they are but presume there's an exercise on?

Thanks for the replies, Kjell, it was a link you had put up that gave me the link that put me on to this site

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
. . and there's been a few large turbo props flying from Kinloss today, not sure what they are . . . .
This sad spotter can inform you that they're C130 Hercules. And no, I don't know which models, cos I'm not much of a spotter.

I was under the over-shoot ! ? this afternoon when they were taking off and got covered in goose pooh, as a huge flock of geese lifted as the Hercs took off. :(

Agree with Jim ref the crash site of modern day aircraft - they're under a duty of care to remove everything from the smoking hole - even the hole itself if it's contaminated with fuel, which it usually is!

Last one I visited was in the Moray Firth itself! A twin seat Jaguar had an engine flame out on take off due to the wrong kind of bird being ingested :rolleyes: into an engine. The trainee stick jockey then didn't concentrate on getting some air beneath his stead and the ground - Mistake number one. Instead he decided to shut down the offending engine - Mistake number two!
You can guess where this is going, can't you!

Yep, he shut down the servicable engine, which led to the aircraft doing a very good impression of a brick as it headed for a shallower part of the Moray Firth - just off the coast at Lossiemouth Golf club!
The stick jockey then put in his application for a Martin Baker tie, by pulling on the black & yellow handle between his legs.

I ended up being winched down from the SAR chopper onto an RNLI lifeboat that had recovered some debris and the remnants of the survival pack & dinghy that the pilot had used, to ensure that there was nothing in the rubbish that might go bang :rolleyes:.

I've still got one of the fired cartridges from that aircrafts escape system as a paperweight on my desk.

We never did recover the second seat from that jet - the empty one from the rear cockpit :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Steve, I presumed they were Hercules but not being "in the know" thought I'd leave it to someone more knowledgeable to come along!
I was working in Findhorn today so got a decent look at them circling the runway.
The damned Tornados are out playing late tonight again, that's almost 9.00 and I can hear them overshooting the base. PESTS!

I remember when I was a child my first crash scene was, I believe, a Lancaster resting on the Muldearie hill just outside Keith from WW11, the wreckage has since been removed by the forestry commission, a shame really. I spent hours at Kinloss in the 80's at the scrap pile climbing around inside old Shakletons so have an interest in the old wartime planes!

·
Registered
307 Posts
:cool:

TORNADO'S Pest's not at all,
As we used to say and I know Steve T will have heard this, It's the sound of freedom. :D
But do not despair if you keep a look out sometime soon you will see a VC10 and if you wave I will wave back as I wing myway state side,:D :D
it will be a bit quieter for you then mate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts