Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A family holiday & a day off from parenting saw me drag the Transalp from it's summer-vacation slumber, after a quick dust off she fired first prod - not bad after standin outside for over a month & a with 14 year old Yuasa battery.

Anyway,
With no defined plan other than heading around some N Yorkshires finest, smallest roads possible.
Heading past Lockwood beck then turning through Commondale to Kildale.

First, a stroll up to Captain Cooks Monument

Heading back to the Kikdale road, Battersby junction following the foot of the Cleveland Hills

View back to Captain Cooks monument

Small roads to Clay bank, a quick tootle on the Helmsley TT before turning off at ChopGate over the Cleveland hills towards Carlton bank.

View from Carlton bank over to Teeside (right) and the Pennines in the distance.

I pick up the Stokesley-Northallerton road, turning off at Swainby heading towards Osmotherly.

Cod Beck reservoir.

Back over the Cleveland hills heading towards Hawnby, a wonderful little road with wonderful varied views

I pick up a sign for Kepwick, which rings a bell, I got lost leading Hudders & DC at the Rosedale national a few years ago ;)
The road leads onto a wonderful, easy track.

In the middle of nowhere, very peaceful and with stunning views.

A sign, tracks heading off in each direction but I'm not alowed :(

I seem to have spent the day criss crossing the Cleveland hills and Cleveland way.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Onward!
As I leave the track heading back into semi - civilisation

I am only a mile or two from the A19 but it could be a hundred for all I care.
Cowesby, Boltby and heading towards Old Byland sees some beautiful well to do property!

I scoot through Helmsley (towards Kirkbymoorside) without stopping, I'm getting peckish but not in the mood for crowds.
A roadside butty van comes into view, the half cooked bacon piled up doesn't inspire me but the chef (?) Was a sizeable chap (fat) which is normally a good sign - so after a sizeable, hearty bacon & egg & brew I'm off again, picking my way cross country to Malton which was a bit hot & busy, which I'm glad to see the back of.

Since dropping down from the hills, I notice combine harvesters are making their first breaks into fields, the chilly wet year means a later start to harvest than normal. Smells of freshly cut barley reminds me of my agricultural past life. It's quite a nerve-wracking time when the combine starts rolling, the start for endless hours in a cab and busy season, nervewracking because you really don't know if the season is going to be easy & fruitful or just dreadful.....
Anyway, I digress!

Now climbing onto the Yorkshire Wolds, I'm guessing a lovely route through small stone villages.
This steep sided valley went on for a few miles & ended up in Thixendale.

This lady is some distance from original home but doesn't seem fazed by it!

The cafe in the woods at Fimber was closed so up to Seaways at Fridaythorpe for a brew.
Time is getting on so a few twists & turns aside, it's main roads on the A169 through Pickering. I'm not liking the not too busy holiday traffic to turn off to Lockton, Levisham and Levisham station.

I pulled over high above Levisham station for a mirror pic of my avatar taken some 10 years prior....!

At Levisham Station, several signs of doom saying 'ROAD CLOSED' suggesting access only, well whats the worst......
The road had deteriorated since my last pootle along here, it looks like they were preparing for logging.
The road was gated at the Stape end but it was nice of them to leave a motorcycle sized gap.
Now the scoot to the caravan via Egton, Glaisdale, Danby & Castleton - sorry no pics.

180 miles, hope you enjoyed. I did
Phil

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
nice countryside last of the summer wine was shot in Yorkshire i used to love the scenery in it . my self and the young lad love it but me woman hates it reminds her of her old lad hogging the telly and laughing his hole off and something better on the other side . i know her pain i took cheap digs in a place in county mayo when working up that way years ago for a week only one telly i was about to watch stacked to admire pammys rack and in comes the old lad and put on the ****ing news i taugh right **** this for a lark and he was a thirsty old bastard too used to drink loads of me cans of beer so i wasn't saving much in the long run and punishing me liver . it suited my work mate who sussed it out for me real sound bloke who lived a couple of houses away as the starter was gone in his van/hotel that he used as digs when working away from home he could get a spin with me i only lasted a week any longer and id have beat yer man to death with the remote for the telly at 9 o clock him and his ****ing news :D. why do twats have to drag the bad and the stupid news on to bike chat rooms the Mericans are lethal for it .

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started first push of the button,only to be expected I reckon Phil.Stunning area you live in,thanks for sharing.Glad you had a bit of spare time to get out on the old girl.
I no longer live there unfortunately but have a holiday home & leave the Alp there for the summer.
Lots & lots of brilliant riding, quiet roads but not too remote for brew stops :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Great stuff Phil :thumbup: I was up that way for the farmyard party a few months ago, the plan was to use it as a base and do some exploring on some of the roads like in you photos. Bloody peed down on saturday so spent allot of time in the beer tent and the pubs in Helmsley instead, what a beautiful village that is. Twice I've tried this plan and got rained off both times :( your photos have given me the insentive to have another try next year :D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Excellent Phil

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Cracking RR Phil and some wonderful views :thumbleft:

Having dug the Transalp out how does it compare with your V-Strom? these are two bikes that I'm really interested in.

cheers, Bob.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers all :)

Bob, the Transalp feels old slow rough & unfomfortable (ish) compared to the new shape 'strom....
Don't get me wrong as much as I love the Alp, the Strom is just like a slightly more advanced/developed/better/frugal Transalp and is just that bit better in pretty much every area, I'm sad to say really.
Only the scruffy, 'thrown in' Suziki wiring harness with exposed connectors above the rad let the side down & is just asking for trouble in time to come, that and a very slight desire to run wide when pressing on in very tight twisties unless you give some input. Not the dl is in anyway bad, just the Alp is superbly agile at such stuff ;) and probably down to the wider 19'' tyres more than anything.

Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts