Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New to the forum having had at XL 700 for a few months. Treated it to a service over break and fitted a leovince decat pipe + O2 eliminator to try and sort the low speed slight hesitation
All seemed good apart from a couple of airbox backfires which never happened before
I had a run out for 50 miles and seemed fine but next day it coffed on startup and was generally not right with occasional backfire just on throttle. Tickover is fine

Any ideas ? I put a new DNA filter in as soon as i got it as it needed changing

Last week - oil and filter + 2 new plus + 2 new plug caps - I went for XB05F-R plug caps after a google search but I am now questioning these and wonder if they are the culprit

Plug colour is quite light so its certainly not rich

I am tempted to try ang get the 02 sensor out of the CAT pipe and try it in the leovince de-cat but it should run OK with an eliminator and i guess i can try the original plug caps without too much effort

Cheers Guy851

·
Registered
91 Posts
Plug colour and backfire suggest weak mixture. Fuel injection system is a closed loop system and won’t work right without O2 sensor. Careful you don’t damage your engine.
Tbh I’ve never seen any of these magic boxes to replace parts of fuel system that actually work better than the original system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks and coming to same conclusion while I am at work thinking it over ...I know getting the sensor out of the old pipe will be a challenge but some heat should work - i left it soaking in penetrating fluid since last night

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heat and the proper tool and it came undone fine

Not been for a spin yet but warmed it up with the lambda back in place and it feels like its running richer and no backfire so far

But the hesitancy/lag from zero throttle is still there - it kinda slightly bogs before picking up lets see what its like on the road when the rain stops.

Its only done 12k miles and has service stamps but no receipts so i dont know if its ever had the throttles balanced properly which is next on the list

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one is late 2011

I do see looking around on line that other XL700 owners report the same problem with hesitancy from zero/low throttle which is why i looked at the de-cat and 02 eliminator as it reportedly smoothed it out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its got 50% 98 in right now and i will try and fill again with 98 but only garage selling it is 20 miles away
Good question re TPS MAP ...no idea !

I posted separately today asking if any "tuning" modules are recommended

1 - 11 of 11 Posts