Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a really long ride yesterday on the XR, virtually all tight wood, single track and thick grassy moorland bog all either uphill or sharp decent. Possibly my worst day out on the XR, I binned it about 6 times, 4 on steep incline, which hillariously left me tumbling back down the mountain side. The problem then comes with picking the bike up, on steep slopes, and going through the rigmarole of getting it started. I did sit in envy at my mate who ,on his kdx220, just picked his up give a couple of kicks and got going again.
By the end of the day even the height of the bike was an issue. Wonder on the cost of getting it electrically motivated, but does it make real sense when theres bikes already for the same money with it.
Or would fatigue firstly be more bearable having a lowering job done??

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
One of the first things that I did with my XR400 was to lower it using a link from Talon Engineering Lowering Links & installed some new needle bearings & seals. This made the bike a lot easier to ride.

There can be no easy way to try & start a bike after it's been on it's side or stalled when the engine's hot. I've had several times when trying to restart my XR400 after an off when i've just given up, had a rest, then tried again 5 minutes later & it's started ok.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Had a really long ride yesterday on the XR, virtually all tight wood, single track and thick grassy moorland bog all either uphill or sharp decent. Possibly my worst day out on the XR, I binned it about 6 times, 4 on steep incline, which hillariously left me tumbling back down the mountain side. The problem then comes with picking the bike up, on steep slopes, and going through the rigmarole of getting it started. I did sit in envy at my mate who ,on his kdx220, just picked his up give a couple of kicks and got going again.
By the end of the day even the height of the bike was an issue. Wonder on the cost of getting it electrically motivated, but does it make real sense when theres bikes already for the same money with it.
Or would fatigue firstly be more bearable having a lowering job done??
Been there binned that!!! i fitted a KOUBALINK on my suspension they do them for different amounts of height that you want to loose so there are 2 or 3 sizes

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been there binned that!!! i fitted a KOUBALINK on my suspension they do them for different amounts of height that you want to loose so there are 2 or 3 sizes
A lowering link is shorter than standard dog bone.. I guess. Do you then have to adjust front forks height if one gets fitted. Watching a lowering link on e bay now so may have a go first, for low cost option

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
You should drop the front on the forks to keep the geometry the same as standard Phil there was a guy on a XR400 at the Wyegate LTD with a lowering link and the forks was sticking above the top yolk about 40mm certainly gave him an advantage on one of the sections he cleaned it me and gary failed on our xr's mind you ours are geared for the road thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it:thumbleft:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
haha philw,i wasnt going to tell you there is one on ebay at the moment, nice red one, i was going to bid on that aswell..... i guess the price will go sky rocket in the last minuet, as usual.
ok i wont bid against you, im still undecided if i NEED one.
good luck
phil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Phil,
Just another point, was told/read somewhere that taking the route of a cut down seat was the better option as it won't alter the geometry of the suspension like a lowering link does.

Mod Edit:- Sorry mate I know you're trying to help but your not allowed to post for sale items unless you're a subscribed member

·
Snotty lane fan!
160 Posts
Of course you already know about the electric start one on E-Bay!

The XR400 is a big bike make no mistake and even I at 6'5" find it a bit of a handful in certain situations. Surely something like the XLR200 (Just sold mine:() would be better for tight situations? Problem is the conditions vary so much you really need 2 different bikes and 4 sets of tyres!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
A lowering link is shorter than standard dog bone.. I guess. Do you then have to adjust front forks height if one gets fitted. Watching a lowering link on e bay now so may have a go first, for low cost option
They used to do some various sizes but just looked and they only seem to list the one size for xr 400

Kouba Link

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hello Phil,
Just another point, was told/read somewhere that taking the route of a cut down seat was the better option as it won't alter the geometry of the suspension like a lowering link does.

Mod Edit:- Sorry mate I know you're trying to help but your not allowed to post for sale items unless you're a subscribed member
Did that aswell only problem i found was that there isn't much to cut out in the first place and when riding i was sitting on the lugs where the seat bolts to the subframe. So after a few hours riding my arse was absolutly killing me so i bought another used seat for my bike, still have the other cut down seat in the loft if anybody is interested.

As for bike geometry how many bikes are correct now??? before they lower them the rear shocks maybe sagging or losing gas and oil front fork maybe weeping or leaking oil or have different springs in them so just try things one at a time but i do understand what your saying

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the replys guys. Will try lowering link first and see how it goes. I think the trails I normally do, the XR is just fine, but the odd rides to other parts I do now see the benefit of lighter more agile bikes. I am starting to see why a lot of guys in this part of the world are changing to 2 strokes. Not sure whether I could do that mind as the XR does road work when needed so much better than 2t's

·
Registered
16 Posts
Of course you already know about the electric start one on E-Bay!
thanks thats just what i needed, to spend 2 hours searching for the holy grail!!
now i just bid on loads of things i will never need!! oh the curse that is ebay when you are bored.
phil

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I found that the lowering link worked fine if I dropped the forks down by 10mm or so. But then the rebound adjuster seized on the rear shock, the repair cost was going to be about £250 so I bought an Ohlins for £300. This shock was slightly longer than OEM so it pushed the seat height up again. This made me then have to change the forks back to the original settings to compensate, which by then I didn't have a problem with.
This new shock, together with slightly stiffer fork springs from Race-Spec Race Spec UK - Motocross Fork Springs, Spares, Accessories, Parts and Clothing online , better fork oil & some superior fork compression damping devices from Race-Tech in the USA Dirt MC Home made for a much better handling bike.

·
2,701 Posts
Since i got the 400exc the xr600 has never moved.

The ktm is a little lighter and has more modern suspension but it's not really that much better for trail riding. . . .

The biggest advantage is the little button on the bars. :cool::cool::cool:

Stall it on a rock climb or in deep rutts . . . . just a little touch of the button and your away again, . . . . . . no more trying to balance on loose rocks to get a good kick, . . . no more heaving it out of the rut's so you can swing the kicker.

Electric start. :cool::cool::cool: . . . . . its the future. :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The ktm is a little lighter and has more modern suspension but it's not really that much better for trail riding. . . .

Stall it on a rock climb or in deep rutts . . . . just a little touch of the button and your away again, . . . . . . no more trying to balance on loose rocks to get a good kick, . . . no more heaving it out of the rut's so you can swing the kicker.

Think you could be right Len:D That one little button can make a whole load of differance to a day out

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I am starting to see why a lot of guys in this part of the world are changing to 2 strokes. Not sure whether I could do that mind as the XR does road work when needed so much better than 2t's
Modern 2 strokes no good for road work really Phil cost you a fortune to keep on the road if you follow the service schedule. Oil change every 9 hours pistons rings inspect or change every 12 hours Two stroke oil £10 litre and 2%mix. That said i change my oil every 20 hours or so and so far i've never checked the rings or piston as it's not giving me any power loss or problems. stick to the xr for road work most people i know don't stick t the service schedules as you would spend more time taking it apart and rebuilding it than you would riding it

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts

If i'm going out with some newbies & showing them around the green lanes around Biggin Hill then I normally take my XR400, if only because it's not as aggressive as the KTM. But they're set up to be very similar. Granted the electric starter does come in very handy, but if the battery is flat or getting old there's always the kickstarter as backup...something that DRZ400-E owners would like at times.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I sold my 2003 xr250 to another forum member (mauser) because at 55yrs old with a dodgy right knee i just couldn't get the bugger running again after an 'off', the only way i could continue laning was to get something with the 'magic button' (sorry but its orange:hitler:)

i would love another Honda in my garage (we still have a crf450r that my son uses for motocross) but i would never buy myself another bike without lecky start.

I fall off my 250EXC RFS, if it cuts out (or not) i just pick it up, pull in the clutch, press the 'magic button' and i'm away again...it never fails to start straightaway so i'll never go back to a 'kicker' again...ever!!!

I'd love a CRF450X though:thumbup:

I just love HONDA's:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts