Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep were off again and at last Marches have seen the light.. holy holy alleluia man.

...."Centralised servicing for Baja GB 2007 and the bulk of the action was centralised at the Sweet Lamb Rally Complex, near Llangurig, but event officials have confirmed that servicing will move to Aberystwyth where teams, officials and media can benefit from better cellular 'phone service and the close proximity of accommodation and services. The central location, within walking distance of rally headquarters and the media centre, will also be closer to the town's parking facilities and be better suited for spectator access..."

OK you lucky people after many years of bitching about this event for once i am excited, those that know the sweetlamb complex i am sure will back me up and say this is the perfect main event location, ..a new course thats less of a hassle with public traffic, a better (even workable) service parc... oh it goes on and on....

I will post up the specific regs as they get posted.

REMEMBER... September 24th - 28th 2008, Baja GB (yes a new date!)

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
I'm seriously looking at doing this, and will probably be well last:(, but a real event on a national scale will be an essential and important part of my learning.

Did I read it right, that its moving base from sweet lamb to Aberystwyth town? Longer liasions then, and some bike specific bits of riding?

I know some of the really fast guys/gals ride it, but some of the more human entrants are there too.

:D.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
...but some of the more human entrants are there too.
Are you sure? Last year most of the bikes were 450 and 525 KTMs, and Patsy Quick came in last on a 950. I know Paul Blezard took part, but don't let the gut fool you, he's quick when he wants to be. I'm not trying to put you off, if you've got the time and money to do it then go for it. But I think it'll be slightly more competitive in nature than the camaraderie of the trail bike rallyes. :thumbleft:

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm seriously looking at doing this, and will probably be well last:(, but a real event on a national scale will be an essential and important part of my learning.

Did I read it right, that its moving base from sweet lamb to Aberystwyth town? Longer liasions then, and some bike specific bits of riding?

I know some of the really fast guys/gals ride it, but some of the more human entrants are there too.
yep the new base for the Baja is the Park Lodge Hotel in Aberystwyth, its a bit like a Welsh travel lodge (30 something rooms, bar restaurant, McDonald's next door etc etc) and this will home the event management and press.

From memory the area around it is mixed development and farmland so i would hazard a guess this will home the main service parc and the event marshals... course wise no official route has been published but the move means the course will concentrate more on the western Welsh Forestry commission ground (Peraidd Fynydd, Pen Corbed nr Devils Bridge)and Sweet Lamb, and maybe less commited to the old haunts like Hafren, Rhyader etc as these sites are being 'upgraded' thanks to the WRC using them.

As Iain says this is not the event to do on a big bike if you want to finish in the top runners as the ground is more akin to motocross or enduro than to Baja but then we dont have that much desert in the UK!... That said if your after getting hands on experience on events with an FIA/FIM set up then this will be the cheapest one, and one that gets the most UK sponsor opportunity!

Obviously no names as yet confirmed but rumors are rife, work load dependent i may do it myself this year with either the quad or XTZ (dependent on regs), and we should hopefully have a few bikes on loan for it.

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys/gals, so NOT a Transalp trip.

The experience of being in an event like that would be awesome.

Does you think it would be possible (to finish, thats all) on a 250 TTR, which is my hare and hounds bike? I'd be using a trailer, have spare wheels, which will be set up to run new spare tyres, discs, bearings etc, and will have various other spares, eg. chain, front forks, front/rear calipers, h.bars etc.

Other idea - Jenna, you mentioned "Loan Bikes", does this mean your buisness will be hiring out capable machinery for this event?

I really NEED to do some thing like this, how else can I make it happen?

Thanks in advance.
:D.

·
Gold Member - Yeah baby
156 Posts
bump!! blip!! blop!! whatever you call it.. I wanna know too!

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the event is 'doable' on any bike thats fairly competent off road, i dont see any reason why the alp would not finish.. its just obviously not as nimble as the guys on KTM 525's who will make up most the field. The stage mileage is not epic compared to most baja so damage should be minimal, soon as Chris Tomley lets the details out i will pass them on.

Plan is by the end of the year to have 2 or 3 XTZ850RX raid bikes available and 2 XTZ850RX raid quads for various events, each will have a full raidxtreme support package and be available for single event or RTW lease/buy.... depending on finances (or lack of them!! :p )

Iain I wish!!.. replied in the XTZ thread.

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Thanks Jenna, I think! Now I don't know what to plan!

There's talk of including this event in a "Champions" big bike challenge, but that may also include the Dawn to Dusk, which would be really hard work on a big bike. (And clashes with the Kielder rally.)

I have the same sort of "full spares" for the TA as the TTR, so could structure things to sort those insted, but would then need to do some TBEC and CHEC events on the TA. I'm training physically quite hard at the moment, but I wasn't expecting to need to man-handle the TA round a Hare and Hounds course!!

Oh well.........:D. All good fun!

·
Gold Member - Yeah baby
156 Posts
Thanks Jenna, I think! Now I don't know what to plan!

There's talk of including this event in a "Champions" big bike challenge, but that may also include the Dawn to Dusk, which would be really hard work on a big bike. (And clashes with the Kielder rally.)

I have the same sort of "full spares" for the TA as the TTR, so could structure things to sort those insted, but would then need to do some TBEC and CHEC events on the TA. I'm training physically quite hard at the moment, but I wasn't expecting to need to man-handle the TA round a Hare and Hounds course!!

Oh well.........:D. All good fun!
You're a top challenger mate... Heart and soul :thumb:

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just a bit of a heads up, BajaGB 2008 is officially dead.

Event Organizers with just a few short weeks left before the the baja was due to run have pulled the plug, officially the reason is a shortfall of commercial sponsorship and the 11th hour back-tracking of the Welsh government agency to fill this short fall if it occurred.

Sadly with more and more countries fighting to get the chance to run an FIA Baja its still very much a question of what long term impact this will have with the events governing body the FIA/FIM, some have suggested the FIA may allow the event to run next year instead but as the calendar is normally drawn up and those running event already given notice i cant see this happening personally.

I'm not going to bang on about the event management and the piss poor backing the MSA seams to give all British motorsport compared to national bodies in our European neighbor's however I can say this announcement is not a complete surprise either.... sadly the only big looser is yet again British motorsport.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Was hoping to go to a bit. Glad I didn't knock other things out of my diary to keep it free for this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts