Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok not going to bang on about it as to honest I not that impressed with some of the decisions the organisors have made this year....

2007 Baja GB is nearly upon us(August 17th-19th 2007), its a fantastic oppertunity to see some of the best UK riders and drivers in rally raid in action, and unlike last year its now a fully sanctioned event with both the FIA and FIM so expect to see some of the best riders and drivers from around the world at the event too!....

Lots of new kit will be on display ( the Bowler Nemisis, Derrick Edmondson's new 530 EXC-RS, etc etc etc), and you can get close up and personal in the service area based at Builth Wells in Wales.

more detaild from the event organisors website...
http://www.bajawales.com/

latest press release... blah blah blah..

QATAR'S FORMER FIA MIDDLE EAST RALLY
CHAMPION SET TO TACKLE BAJA GB 2007

Polish and Slovakian teams claim first international entries; Cannock's Derrick Edmondson set to debut KTM's new 530 EXC-RS; Baja GB organisers plan special spectator viewing and access points

NEWTOWN (Wales): Qatar's Sheikh Hamed Bin Eid Al-Thani, the 1993 FIA Middle East rally champion, is planning to tackle next month's Baja GB, an event which will mark his competition debut in the UK.

Al-Thani is a regular competitor in European Baja-type rallies and Middle East events like the UAE Desert Challenge and Qatar Baja and looks set to tackle the third round of the FIA International Cup for Cross-Country Bajas in mid-Wales between August 17th and August 19th at the wheel of either his own Nissan Pathfinder or a hired 4x4 from an Italian team.

Doha-based Al-Thani has tackled numerous desert-type events in his illustrious career, but the Baja outing with Australian co-driver George Sayrak will be his first forest-type rally outing. He has already taken part in the Baja Italy and Baja Spain this season and is a regular competitor in the UAE national rally series. The Qatari finished ninth overall in Italy and 16th in Spain at the wheel of a Technosport-run Nissan Patrol.

Poland's 47-year-old Piotr Beaupre and co-driver Jacek Lisicki were the first international team to enter this year's Baja GB. The Krakow-based driver will use a Bowler Wildcat 200 on his first visit to a motorsport event in the UK. Other early international entrants are 47-year-old Jozef Sýkora and his 24-year-old co-driver Mazek Sýkora. The Slovakian pair from Zlaté Moravce have entered a 4.0-litre petrol-engined Mitsubishi Pajero under the Matador Motorsport banner.

Welshman Richard Hopkins and co-driver Gary Torosyan were the second British crew to enter the international event in their T1 Land Rover Discovery. Hopkins, from Chepstow, finished fourth in the inaugural Baja GB last August and was also 29th overall in this year's Baja Italy. Meanwhile, the first entrant in the National 'A' category is Richard Corking at the wheel of a Land Rover 3M Racer.

Cannock's Derrick Edmondson and co-driver Neil Ruffle finished fifth overall in the inaugural Baja GB at the wheel of a Range Rover Desert Warrior and the Midlander returns to mid-Wales action next month riding KTM's new 530 EXC-RS in the motorcycle category. Motor cycle dealer Edmondson has taken part in the Dakar Rally on a motorcycle in the past and tackled a recent UAE Desert Challenge on four wheels.

"The bike will arrive the week before the Baja, so I won't really have time to ride it beforehand," said Edmondson. "I have not ridden a bike since June last year, so the Baja will be a wake-up call. My brother Lee won the bike event last year, so I will be going to try and repeat that win. He has chosen to compete in a round of the European Junior Enduro Championship that weekend, rather than go head-to-head with his older brother!"

Chris Tomley, chairman of the organising committee of Baja GB, has just returned from visiting the Baja Spain Aragon. "Everyone was really enthusiastic about our event and we have been staggered by the interest shown in our new round of the championship from all over Europe."

This year's Baja GB has the full backing of the Welsh Assembly Motorsport Initiative, the Forestry Commission Wales and the Motor Sports Association (MSA).

Spectator information will be available shortly and specially prepared vantage points will be provided with easy access and car parking facilities. There will be three vantage points close to the service area in Sweet Lamb, where competitors pass twice on each stage.

Officials are also arranging a spectator point close to the Llanidloes to Machynlleth road, via Staylittle, to the north of Hafren forest. There will be three vantage points here, including the steep Dragon's Back climb.
There will be further spectator access at The Arch in Myherin and two further viewing points.

All these areas will have catering and toilet facilities. Cars and bikes will be competing on alternate stages at the same time, so there should be continuous action throughout both Saturday, August 18th and Sunday, August 19th

·
Registered
172 Posts
Jenna
just realised where it is (thanks for the further info BTW). Used to live in a cottage outside Machynlleth for 4 years while working in Aberystwyth. My bestfriend who lives in Cardiff, his parents have a farm near to Borth. Will see if he's home that weekend. How bloody thick am I, just didn't click.

Lived there years ago before I got into bikes. Are you going? Or is that a silly question. Need to work out if I can leave the business for a few days. Bike will still be in with the mechanics, however could take the car.

Will check out the BajaGB website to see if there's any further info for spectators.

By the way what decisions are you not happy about - let us know.

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol think it’s fair to say if you think about a desert style Baja rally the first place that comes to mind IS wet, muddy, and covered with conifer trees...mid Wales!!!.. personally I would prefer to see it switched to Salisbury plain or the south downs but that’s not going to happen as the organisers’ also run the British off road championship which is if were honest only interested in promoting 'mud plugging' and 'wacky racers'.....:protest:

The event is run on the same old rally stages that everybody else uses for enduro, wrc, brdc etc etc so lets just say once you have seen it once you have seen it all... not exactly a thrill a minute!......:protest:

New for 2007 is a switch to the RWAS showground.. (surprise surprise as used by the British off road championship too!).. is basically a field full of cattle barns, the odd showground flash bank building and toilet blocks, all very salubrious. Last year the event hired and took over a farm, it was basically a self contained 'rally village' which to me was the best idea of the whole event, it also meant that the Baja had space to grow and put on a side show to draw in spectators and locals.. all of which helped bring better local understanding, a higher media profile and make the event more of a 'one off'...

yadder yadder yadder... i could pull it apart for pages but you get the idea.

I (we) will be there for one day (may be more if I can bite my tongue any longer! :D ).. as I need to nail down some business for later this year and into next, plus it’s a great opportunity to say hello to some of the guys from abroad that wont normally bother coming to the UK but have to do the Baja if they want to compete in the FIA world championship.

Can’t help to much with speccy info as this relocation has meant the Baja is now 20% raid and 80% liaison running between the gravel stages in the woods ( best bet is as you say follow the info on Marches website...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hia Jenna, the location of the Baja is not at all related to the British Off Road Championship, what would be the point in that? :D They're different events, run by different people who happen to be in the same club. So if you think Salisbury or South Downs would be better locations for future, then let Chris Tomley know and I'm sure he'd be glad to look into them. I think part of the initial appeal of the event internationally was planned to be what a different style it was to the other international events, and what that would add to the calendar overall, but I'm not one of the organisers so just my thoughts!

Would also like to say BORC is not 'interested in promoting 'mud plugging' and 'wacky racers'. PM me, I'd love to know why you think that!

The event is being run on some of the 'rally stages that everybody else uses' but also includes brand new roads which have been specifically built for this event by the Forestry Commission, so that's nothing you'll have seen before. (if seeing something you haven't seen before is of interest, why want to do same ol' desert style baja? ;) )

RWAS showground is a definite step up from last year! No it is not used for BORC (where are you getting your dodgy info from?! :confused: ) The farm last year was great, the step-up this year is aimed to keep the 'rally village' feel with everything together, and to improve on things like hard (and flat!) standing service areas, improved facilities for all involved. It's a great HQ venue, and should really add a great aspect to this years Baja. Let me know what you think afterwards.

If you do fancy pulling the event apart for pages, PM me and let's get it sorted! It sounds like lots of your info is wrong, so let's get that right for a start and then get the improvements you reckon are needed to the people who can make it happen so it's a cracking event for all of us. Me, I'm really looking forward to it! :happy7:

Cheers,
Tommo

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hi tommo, believe me Chris is more than aware of both my views and those of the people that we work with/represent... lol I'm sure he will be pleased to fill you with all the complaints we pass on at your leisure!!!...:p

please have a look in a dictionary and check up what a Baja is, think you will find its a 'desert race', so surly is logical to run the event in as near as possible condition in the UK as to these, no way are you going to tell me Wells fits that bill under any circumstances!!!!! Sadly as any one who was part of the only hillrally to be run in south (the Sames Hillrally) that the chances of this happening again are nil, the ground is now so heavily restricted that its impossible.

SPBTA however is very much a possibility in logistics terms however as the AWDC have found with the comp safs its not going to economically viable thanks to ridiculous ground rent and limited opportunities for media use. The Baja has ended up in wells through default, the welsh tourist board, the development agency etc all scrabbling to get dwindling visitors back to this region pumping ££££ into any event happy to locate here, its also worth pointing out that the majority of the work you point out they are doing on stage restoration and generation is not for Baja GB but for the WRC later in the year!

as for the event, your having a laugh the marches committee are very much behind Borc and have been for years, lol again think you will find Chris will and team will back that up!

Ok as for 'mud plugging' and 'wackey racers', lets get one issue very clear all the British championships are vastly under funded from the private sector, this is mainly due to the ever 'open' specification of vehicle builds, this free for all attitude only helps breed an air of Independence which again no serious sponsor wants to put there name too and that in turn creates a catch 22 situation where no new funds means lower entry quality and so on. Please don't get me wrong i am not slagging of the many many people that compete in Borc just merely saying that until attitudes change to promote the sport in a more media friendly manner its a dead duck only held alive by a small group of die hard enthusiasts. Compare this to the scene in mainland europe and think you can see for your self that this country is lagging behind the world in bridging the gap between business and sports sponsorship ( something that the MSA refuses to see).

As for RWAS, thats a matter of personal choice, switching site so that a few service crews could work in the dry is rediculas... parking was never an issue at last years event and even if had been finding extra space from neighboring farms is not an issue.... I guess at the end of the day it very much depends of what you expect from the event, if it is to 'compete' with the FiA rounds it will need to either be the 'fun' oddball or make some drastic changes to get on a level playing field in the next few years as more and more locations fight for the few restricted places available on the championship calender.

latest press release added.

BAJA GB 2007, August 17-19th, 2007
Great Britain's third round of the 2007 FIA International Cup for Cross-Country Bajas

For immediate release
Wednesday, August 1st, 2007

RUSSIAN CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER AND ITALIAN BAJA WINNER BORIS GADASIN ENTERS BAJA GB 2007

Italian, Belgian and Spanish crews set to tackle this month's Baja GB; Defending champion Edmondson, Eland and Bickerton top early motorcycle entry; Baja GB organisers cancel tracking system due to lack of GSM coverage

NEWTOWN (Wales): The Russian crew of Boris Gadasin and Alexander Mironenko, winners of this year's Italian Baja, have entered Baja GB 2007, which takes place in mid-Wales on August 17th-19th.

The Nissan Navara crew are chasing a maiden FIA International Cup for Bajas title after winning the Italian round of the series and retiring during leg three of the recent Baja Spain Aragon. A points-scoring finish in Wales, followed by a top result on the final round in Portugal in October, could well catapult the Russian crew to a maiden FIA title, as Mitsubishi's Stéphane Peterhansel - the winner of the recent Spanish round of the series
- will not be present in Wales or Portugal.

Gadasin will drive the Nissan that Scotsman Colin McRae used in the Transiberico Rally, although the Belgian Overdrive Team car, which runs under the management of former FIA Group N World Rally Champion and former Nissan factory driver Grégoire de Mevius, will be fitted with a new engine for the Welsh event. The Russian also finished 31st overall in this year's Transiberico Rally, the opening round of the FIA Cross-Country Rallies World Cup, at the helm of a Proto Dessoude.

He will be joined on the Baja GB entry list by the Italian crew of Andrea Spinelli and Monica Buonamono, who will compete in a 3.2-litre Mitsubishi Pajero in the T2 category. Fellow Italians Guiseppe Fornasa and Enso De Michelis will take part in a Fornsari RR 450.

The Belgian crew of Vincent Thijs and Johan Bude bolster the international contingent at the wheel of a Mitsubishi Pajero and Spanish championship contenders Francesc Rodrigues Termens and co-driver Jordi Vilalta Casas will take part in a 3.2-litre Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero entered in the T2 category.

Middleton Stoney-based off-road enthusiast Henry Webster and co-driver Sarah Suter, the Chepstow-based daughter of the chairman of the Baja GB organising committee Chris Tomley, will take part in the National 'A'
category in a Friesian Racing Land Rover Discovery. Webster is a member of the organising team for BORC events and recently tackled the Scottish Hill Rally.

Last year's motorcycle champion Lee Edmondson had intended to tackle a Junior European Championship round in Finland over Baja weekend, but the Cannock-based youngster has confirmed that he will defend his two-wheel crown in the saddle of a four-stroke Honda CRFX 250. "I couldn't resist coming back to defend the title and lining up against my brother on his new KTM," admitted Lee. "It would be nice to win back-to-back Bajas."

Other entries received this week in the motorcycle category include Newcastle's Brian Eland at the helm of his KTM LC4 Enduro in Class B2, Telford computer worker Chris Bickerton on a KTM 525 MXC, Oxford's Paul Howard on a KTM 525 MXC and Macclesfield's Laurence Barber on a KTM 525.

Ulverston's Tony Brooks (Honda XR400 R), Caister-on-Sea's Neil Tanner (Sherco 450) and Abingdon's Lee Peck (KTM 400) have registered in Class B1.
Both Peck and Howard are entered under the Team Desert Trax banner.

In 2006, the quad category was fiercely contested and the first three entrants in this year's Baja GB are Daniel Upton, 17-year-old rookie Naomi Ridley and Bradford's Mark Calzoni. Upton finished 12th overall in the motorcycle category in 2006 and second of the quads behind winner Matt Lee, although Upton is convinced that he can take his Bombardier Renegade to quad success on this occasion. Ridley is the daughter of off-road and hill rally enthusiast Russell Ridley and rides a Yamaha Raptor on her first Baja outing. Calzoni rides a Yamaha Raptor 700.

Event officials have confirmed that the Sporttraxx tracking system will not be used this year, because the mid-Wales forest area offers poor GSM reception which is vital for the accurate use of the technology.
Competitors will therefore be issued with road books only and do not need to acquire tracking units from event officials.

This year's Baja GB has the full backing of the Welsh Assembly Motorsport Initiative, the Forestry Commission Wales and the Motor Sports Association (MSA).

We wish all the competitors all the best, for those not competiting then please surport the event and go along, as tommo says i doubt you will have seen anything like this in the UK. Also please remember if this event is to keep its place in the calender the FIA and MSA need to know you the public are behind it too.

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Britain's third round of the 2007 FIA International Cup for Cross-Country Bajas

For immediate release

FORMER BRITISH CHAMPION ALISTER MCRAE SET TO DEBUT NEW MCRAE ENDURO RALLY CAR AS BAJA GB COURSE CAR

Hungarian and Dutch crews head to mid-Wales for Baja GB; Huddersfield's Harrison and Doncaster's Lee aim for quad wins; Local hero Rowan Jones flies the bike flag for Llanidloes

NEWTOWN (Wales): Former British Rally Champion and regular international rally driver Alister McRae will give the brand new McRae Enduro rally car its first public competitive appearance as course car for Baja GB on August 17th-19th.

The car has just undergone a couple of shakedown tests in Essex and both Alister and father Jimmy - a five-times British Rally Champion - were delighted with its potential.

"I am extremely pleased about the reliability from the start," said Alister McRae. "To come up with a new design concept and for it to run faultlessly is just quite remarkable. Between us we clocked up 550 km of rough surface testing without any major failures.

"Every change we made to the spring and damper settings gave improvements and even better driver feed back. I then pushed very hard for the rest of the test and nothing broke - a testament to our engineer Peter Bennett and the rest of the team. I'm now looking forward to Baja GB."

The international entry will be bolstered by a pair of 3.2-litre Mitsubishi Pajeros entered in the T1 category. Porizek Zdenek and Koresz Preemysl will line-up alongside Hungarian team mates Zapletal Miroslav and Janecek Miloslav. Dutchman Woulter Rosegaar will also take part in the Baja at the wheel of a Team Van Deijne Mitsubishi L200 Club Cab 4WD.

Regular off-road competitors have entered the national category: Matlock's Trevor Milner and co-driver Andrew Lees will tackle the National 'A' event in their Milner R45 Protruck and Penketh's Mike Moran will have Richard Suter reading the notes in his powerful Bowler Wildcat 100. They will be joined by Chris Hammond/Ben Gott, Andrew Graham with an Allisport entry and Glen McKeith alongside co-driver Caroline Smith in a Land Rover Freelander.
Scottish Hillrally winner Dan Lofthouse is also set to enter the National 'A' event.

Local motorcycle racer Rowan Jones will be flying the Welsh flag with pride. The Llanidloes-based rider lives a stone's throw away from Sweet Lamb and will take part in the Baja on his Yamaha 450 in Class B1. He will be joined on the entry list by the Isle of Man's Kieran Clotworthy: the Castletown rider will take part in a KTM 450 entered in the B1 category.

Huddersfield's Matt Harrison will be hoping to improve on the third place he achieved in the quad category in last year's Baja, when he lines up at the start in Builth Wells on Friday, August 17th. But last year's Doncaster-based winner Matt Lee stands in his way and is sure to push him to the limit on his Yamaha Raptor.

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

For immediate release
Friday, August 17th, 2007

RUSSIAN BORIS GADASIN LEADS BAJA GB
AFTER RADNOR SUPER SPECIAL STAGE

Llandrindod's Middleton heads British contingent in superb second place Chepstow's Richard Hopkins surges into top four; Blazquez in fifth Qatar's Hamed Bin Eid finishes opening stage in 14th overall Dan Lofthouse holds advantage in Y Rali Bryn Cymru

BUILTH WELLS (Wales): Russian Baja championship leader Boris Gadasin and co-driver Alexander Mironenko were the early leaders of Baja GB 2007, round three of the FIA International Cup for Cross-Country Bajas, after the opening 9.6 km super special stage through Radnor forest in mid-Wales on Friday afternoon.

The Overdrive Nissan Navara pair finished the forest stage 15.5s ahead of Llandrindod Wells-based rally driver Graham Middleton and co-driver Shaun O'Gorman, with the Slovakian duo of Josef Sykora and Marek Sykora in third place at the helm of a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Eighteen Baja GB cars and eight entrants in Y Rali Bryn Cymru (the National 'A' event) were flagged away from the start at the Royal Welsh Agricultural Showground in bright conditions in Builth Wells. Only cars took part in the opening super special stage, as the 29-strong bike and quad entry made their way directly to the Sweet Lamb service park for the start of their event on Saturday morning.

Spaniard Mark Blazquez won the FIA Baja series in 2005 and 2006 and is under pressure to achieve a good result in Wales. He held fifth in a Nissan Navara after the opening stage. "We have won the championship for the last two years, said Blazquez. "But this year will be more difficult. We retired in Italy and had a bad result in Spain. I am in a private team this year and we are entering each event in different cars. I will try my best over the weekend, but it will not be easy over these forest stages in Wales."

Bridgnorth's Ian Rochelle admitted that it would be difficult to repeat last year's Baja GB triumph. The Shropshire builder finished 15th overall on the Radnor super special and heads into the weekend in a cautious mood.
"I won the event last year and that was a fantastic feeling to be the first winner of Baja GB. But it will not be easy to win again this time.
Competition is tough, but we will give it our best shot."

Chepstow's Richard Hopkins held a fine fourth position in a Land Rover Discovery and Richard Haywood, from Newport in Gwent, was 17th. Qatar's former Middle East rally champion, Sheikh Hamed Bin Eid Al-Thani, was a cautious 14th in a Ralliart Italy Mitsubishi Pajero and Belgian Vincent Thijs rounded off the international contingent in his 18th-placed car.

Dan Lofthouse and Simon Kerfoot were the early leaders of Y Rali Bryn Cymru in their Lofthouse Proto LD4. The Bolton driver finished the Radnor stage
20.2 seconds ahead of Ben Gott and Chris Hammond in a TMC DB MII. Trevor Miler was third in a Milner ProTruck R45.

Burntwood's Lee Edmondson arrived in Builth Wells keen to defend his Baja motorcycle title. "I won last year and decided a couple of weeks ago that I should come back and defend my title instead of going to Finland to take part in a Junior Enduro," said the youngster. "There are six or seven riders on the entry who are capable of giving me a run for my money and my brother is one of them! It will be all to play for over the next two days."

Tomorrow (Saturday) marks the first of two legs of varied special stages in the mid-Wales forests, before the event reaches its conclusion in Builth Wells on Sunday, August 19th. Bikes and cars will tackle alternate stages, meaning that spectators will benefit from almost continuous action in the upper reaches of the Wye and Severn valley areas of mid-Wales.

Baja GB - Positions after leg 1 (Radnor) - provisional:
1 Boris Gadasin (RU)/Alexander Mironenko (RU) Nissan Navara 7m 09.4s
2 Graham Middleton (GB)/Shaun O'Gorman (GB) Rally Raid F350 7m 24.9s
3 Jozef Sykora (SLK)/Marek Sykora (SLK) Mitsubishi Pajero 7m
25.8s
4 Richard Hopkins (GB)/Gary Toroysan (GB) Land Rover Discovery 7m 27.3s
5 Franco Grigoletto (I)/ Roberto Briani (I) Fornasari RR450 7m
38.8s
6 Marc Blazquez (E)/José Ferrer Trias (E) Nissan Pathfinder 7m
42.2s
7 Miroslav Zapletal (CZ)/Miroslav Janacek (CZ) Mitsubishi Pajero 7m
43.4s
8 Guiseppa Fornasari (I)/Enso De Michelis (I) Fornasari RR450 7m
51.8s
9 Toni Van Deijne (NL)Wouter Rosegaar (NL) Mitsubishi L200 7m
52.3s
10 Francesc Termens (E)/Jordi Vilalta (E) Mitsubishi Montero 7m
53.4s
11 Zdenek Porizek (CZ)/Premysl Korejz (CZ) Mitsubishi Pajero 8m
03.6s
12 Andrea Spinelli (I)/Monica Buonamano (I) Mitsubishi Pajero 8m
03.8s
13 Piotr Beaupre (PL)/Jacek Lisicki (PL) Bowler Wildcat 200 8m
05.1s
14 Hamad Bin Eid Al Thani (QA)/George Saryan (AUS) Mitsubishi Pajero 8m
05.9s
15 Ian Rochelle (GB)/Amanda Garratley (GB) Bowler Wildcat 8m
21.9s
16 José-Manuel Garcia (E)/Alberto Velasco (E) Mitsubishi Pajero 8m
26.2s
17 Richard Haywood (GB)/Quin Evans (GB) Bowler Wildcat 8m 51.3s
18 Vincent Thijs (B)/Johan Bude (B) Mitsubishi Pajero 9m
09.4s

Y Rali Bryn Cymru (National 'A' Rally) - Positions after leg 1 (Radnor):
1 Dan Lofthouse (GB)/Simon Kerfoot (GB) Lofthouse Proto LD4 7m
12.0s
2 Ben Gott(GB)/Chris Hammond (GB) TMC DB MII 7m 32.2s
3 Trevor Milner (GB)/Andrew Lees (GB) Milner R45 Protruck 7m
53.1s
4 Mike Moran (GB)/Richard Suter (GB) Bowler Wildcat 100 8m
12.4s
5 Richard Corking (GB)Quentin Baum (GB) Land Rover 3M Special 8m 25.4s
6 Glen McKeith (GB)/Caroline Smith (GB) Land Rover Freelander 9m
14.4s
7 Frazer Williams (GB)/Dave Thomas (GB) QT Special 4600 9m 49.1s
8 Henry Webster (GB)/Sarah Suter (GB) Land Rover Discovery 9m
50.6s

bike results not yet classified but the running order/entry is :

51 Lee EDMONDSON GB Honda CRFX 250 B1
52 Rowan JONES GB Yamaha 450 B1
53 Tony BROOKS GB Honda XR400R B1
54 Lee PECK GB KTM B1
55 Kieran CLOTWORTHY GB KTM 450 B1
56 Gordon McPHERSON GB KTM 450 EXC B1
57 Steve HOLLAND GB KTM Enduro 450 B1
58 Mark BLEZARD GB KTM 450 A
59 Neil R TANNER GB Sherco 4.5I 450 A
60 Matt LEE GB KTM A
61 Ray WATTON GB KTM A
62 Nick PLUMB GB tba A
63 Derrick EDMONDSON GB KTM EXC-R B2
64 Brian ELAND GB LC4 Enduro B2
65 Clive TOWN GB KTM 525 Rallye B2
66 Patsy QUICK GB KTM 950 Super Enduro B2
67 Chris BICKERTON GB KTM 525 MXC B2
68 Paul HOWARD GB KTM 525 MC B2
69 Dan EVANS GB KTM 520 MXC B2
70 Adam EVANS GB KTM 520 MXC B2
71 David DICKINSON GB KTM 525 B2
72 Laurence BARBER GB KTM 525 B2
73 Lee WALTERS GB MW 650 B2
74 Matt HARRISON GB KTM 525 A
75 Daniel UPTON GB 4x4 Bombardier Renegade D
76 Naomi RIDLEY GB Yamaha Raptor D
77 Mark CALZONI GB Yamaha Raptor D
78 Paul John GREEN GB Bombardier 800 D

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not going to say toooo much as its all way to early but im in discussions to do a few events with patsy quick and clive on the XTZ850rx in the super enduro class probability is baja gb 2008 will be one, for an first time baja event its perfect as is half way between an enduro and a proper baja.

Entry is only going to get better and better as the event gets more established so get your entry in early if you want one of the places as spaces are very heavily restricted and those doing the baja championship will get preference! :thumb:

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For immediate release
Saturday, August 18th, 2007

REIGNING BAJA CHAMPION MARC BLAZQUEZ TAKES SLENDER LEAD INTO FINAL DAY OF BAJA GB 2007

Llandrindod's Graham Middleton maintains superb second overall Czech driver Zapletal in third; Russian Gadasin down to fourth place Qatar's Sheikh Hamed Bin Eid Al-Thani holds fifth overall and leads T2 Early bike advantage for Rowan Jones; Dan Lofthouse leads Y Rali Bryn Cymru

BUILTH WELLS (Wales): Marc Blazquez and co-driver José Ferrer Trias were the new leaders of Baja GB 2007, round three of the FIA International Cup for Cross-Country Bajas, after a rain-soaked second leg consisting of four punishing special stages in the Sweet Lamb, Tarenig and Myherin forest complexes of mid-Wales on Saturday.

The Spanish crew will take a slender 40-second lead into the final three stages on Sunday, although no less than three drivers won at least one of the four Saturday specials. Llandrindod Wells-based Graham Middleton and co-driver Shaun O'Gorman hold second place in a Rally Raid F350, while the Czech crew of Miroslav Zapletal and Miroslav Janacek are third after winning two of the day's four specials in their Mitsubishi Pajero.

"The stages in Wales are narrow, slippery and it is easy to make a mistake," said Blazquez, the 2005 and 2006 FIA Baja champion. "But I have a small lead now and will try and preserve that over the closing stages on Sunday."

Zapletal was fastest through the second punishing 60.31km Sweet Lamb special, although he was closely followed in the drizzle by a flying Middleton. Overnight leader Gadasin was forced to stop for several minutes to rectify a windscreen wiper problem, Spaniard Francesco Termens left the road and was towed back on to the stage, but Italian Franco Grigoletto was forced out of his overnight fifth place with halfshaft problems.

Italian colleague Giuseppe Fornasari suffered his first halfshaft failure in four years and was unable to continue. Andrea Spinelli capped a miserable morning for Italy when he was badly delayed by mechanical problems in Sweet Lamb and eventually lost over four hours.

Blazquez set the fastest time in the soggy 51.38 km Tarenig stage, although Middleton was third quickest and moved into a slender four-second overall lead over the Spaniard. Gadasin was back on the pace following his first stage delays, but the Russian had slipped to fourth overall behind Zapletal. Qatar's Sheikh Hamed Bin Eid Al-Thani rose to fifth with a pair of encouraging stage times, but Chepstow's Richard Hopkins lost vital time with a flat tyre and eventually finished the leg in ninth position.

Baja GB crews repeated the two stages on Saturday afternoon and the damp conditions and double usage made the track surfaces exceptionally tricky.
Zapletal was again quickest in the Sweet Lamb stage, as Gadasin continued to regain time on the leaders.

The Russian set the fastest time in the second Tarenig test to move up to fourth in the overall standings in the Nissan Navara that Colin McRae had driven in the Transiberico Rally. Qatar's Al-Thani finished the day in fifth place and Spain's Francesco Termens rounded off the top six, albeit
12 seconds behind the Qatari in the close battle for T2 honours.

"I only got confirmation that the car was ready at the start of the week,"
said a delighted second-placed Middleton, a former British national rally champion. "We have given it a good go today and have shown that we have the pace to match the best in the business. Tomorrow is another day, but we will give it our all. Winning the Baja would be a superb result."

There was disappointment for last year's winner Ian Rochelle, who broke the propshaft on his Bowler in Friday evening's Radnor stage and was forced to retire at the end of the opening leg in Builth Wells. Richard Haywood, from Newport in Gwent, suffered fuel-related problems on the final two stages and Poland's Piotr Beaupre was stopped in the fifth Tarenig stage and lost valuable minutes.

Dan Lofthouse led the National 'A' event by 3m 19s after three stages, with Tarenig stage winner Ben Gott in second and Oxford's Henry Webster in third. Trevor Milner lost over 75 minutes on the first loop. Over the closing two stages Lofthouse was in a class of his own and extended his advantage to a massive 23m 02s over Frazer Williams heading into the final leg on Sunday. Gott slipped back to fifth position, but both Milner and Richard Corking stopped in the last two stages.

In the motorcycle category, Rowan Jones was fastest on the first two stages and took a 1m 21s lead into the final loop, with Ashley Wood, Cannock's Derrick Edmondson, Craig Bounds and Clive Town in close contention. Time penalties had cost defending champion Lee Edmondson his place in the top five. Daniel Upton was the class of the quad field in sixth overall.

Tomorrow (Sunday) the event reaches its conclusion with the ceremonial finish at the Royal Welsh Agricultural Showground in Builth Wells from 13.00 hrs after a further three challenging special stages in the Sweet Lamb and Tarenig forest complexes.

1 52 Rowan JONES GB/GB Yamaha 450 B1 2:57:29
2 63 Derrick EDMONDSON GB KTM EXC-R B2 +0:07:45
3 81 Craig Bounds GB BMW X Challenge B2 +0:09:40
4 73 Lee WALTERS GB MW 650 B2 +0:33:24
5 65 Clive TOWN GB KTM 525 Rallye B2 +0:35:46
6 68 Paul HOWARD GB KTM 525 MC B2 +0:35:50
7 70 Adam EVANS GB KTM 520 MXC B2 +0:37:52
8 80 Andrew Barlow GB KTM 450 EXC B1 +0:44:44
9 56 Gordon McPHERSON GB/GB KTM 450 EXC B1 +0:45:46
10 57 Steve HOLLAND GB/GB KTM Enduro 450 B1 +0:47:02
11 58 Mark BLEZARD GB/GB KTM 450 B1 +0:50:51
12 67 Chris BICKERTON GB KTM 525 MXC B2 +0:51:17
13 71 David DICKINSON GB KTM 525 B2 +0:53:26
14 66 Patsy QUICK GB KTM 950 Super Enduro B2 +0:54:26
15 54 Lee PECK GB/GB KTM B1 +1:01:34
16 72 Laurence BARBER GB KTM 525 B2 +1:30:47
17 53 Tony BROOKS GB Honda XR400R B1 +1:30:52
18 59 Neil R TANNER GB/GB Sherco 4.5I 450 B1 +1:34:55
19 60 Matt LEE GB/GB KTM 520 B2 +2:54:15
20 69 Dan EVANS GB KTM 520 MXC B2 +3:20:07

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
retirements at event finish....

51 Lee Edmondson GB/GB Honda CRFX 250 B1 Retired
55 Kieran Clotworthy GB/GB KTM 450 B1 Retired
61 Ray Watton GB KTM B1 Retired
62 Nick Plumb GB KTM 950 Twin Cylinder B2 Retired
79 Ashley Wood GB Par Honda CRFX B1 Retired

class postions after stage 7 (end of event)

Class A no results

Class B1
1 52 Rowan Jones GB/GB Yamaha 450 4:27:21
2 80 Andrew Barlow GB KTM 450 EXC 5:29:31
3 57 Steve Holland GB/GB KTM Enduro 450 5:31:14
4 56 Gordon McPherson GB/GB KTM 450 EXC 5:32:07
5 54 Lee Peck GB/GB KTM 5:52:57
6 58 Paul Blezard GB/GB KTM 450 6:21:52
7 53 Tony Brooks GB Honda XR400R 6:34:56
8 59 Neil Tanner GB/GB Sherco 4.5I 450 6:46:18

Class B2
1 63 Derrick Edmondson GB KTM EXC-R 4:35:17
2 81 Craig Bounds GB BMW X Challenge 4:41:14
3 65 Clive Town GB KTM 525 Rallye 5:13:03
4 70 Adam Evans GB KTM 520 MXC 5:17:07
5 73 Lee Walters GB MW 650 5:19:36
6 68 Paul Howard GB KTM 525 MC 5:28:36
7 67 Chris Bickerton GB KTM 525 MXC 5:40:28
8 71 David Dickinson GB KTM 525 5:47:03
9 72 Laurence Barber GB KTM 525 6:16:45

Class D
1 75 Daniel Upton GB 4x4 Bombardier Renegade 5:10:57
2 77 Mark Calzoni GB Yamaha Raptor 5:51:39
3 76 Naomi Ridley GB Yamaha Raptor 6:03:24

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
official finishers list.

Overall Awards
1 52 Rowan JONES B1 Yamaha 450 4:27:21 1

Class B1
1 80 Andrew BARLOW B1 KTM 450 EXC 5:29:34 10

Class B2
1 63 Derrick EDMONDSON B2 KTM EXC-R 4:35:17 2

Class D
1 75 Daniel UPTON

on bikes:
1 52 Rowan Jones GB/GB Yamaha 450 B1
2 63 Derrick Edmondson GB KTM EXC-R B2
3 81 Craig Bounds GB BMW X Challenge B2
4 65 Clive Town GB KTM 525 Rallye B2
5 70 Adam Evans GB KTM 520 MXC B2
6 73 Lee Walters GB MW 650 B2
7 68 Paul Howard GB KTM 525 MC B2
8 72 Laurence Barber GB KTM 525 B2
9 80 Andrew Barlow GB KTM 450 EXC B1
10 57 Steve Holland GB/GB KTM Enduro 450 B1
11 56 Gordon McPherson GB/GB KTM 450 EXC B1
12 67 Chris Bickerton GB KTM 525 MXC B2
13 71 David Dickinson GB KTM 525 B2
14 54 Lee Peck GB/GB KTM B1
15 58 Paul Blezard GB/GB KTM 450 B1
16 53 Tony Brooks GB Honda XR400R B1
17 59 Neil Tanner GB/GB Sherco 4.5I 450 B1
18 66 Patsy Quick GB KTM 950 Super Enduro B2

on quads:
1 75 Daniel Upton GB 4x4 Bombardier Renegade D
2 77 Mark Calzoni GB Yamaha Raptor D
3 76 Naomi Ridley GB Yamaha Raptor D

Well done to all the competitors, sadly Lee Edmondson, Kieran Clotworthy, Matt Lee ,Ray Watton, Nick Plumb, Dan Evans, Paul John Green and Ashley Wood had to retire but i'm sure they will return to fight again!

my praise has to go to Patsy Quick for even attempting to get the 950 round let alone finishing.....:thumbright:

oh and i promice not to rub it in that a YAMAHA wiped the floor....:p :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts