Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to drop the bike on Sunday (or get t-boned by a speeding eejit). Usual damage, bent rear brake lever and the plastic TA700 handguard snapped off. Front brake lever ok, bit it and bar end just scratched.

Got home and realised that the bar wasn't straight/level. Turns out the bar holder on the same right side was bent. Seemed strange but I've heard that the use if bar risers does place addition stress on the bar holders due to additional leverage available.

Cost isn't too bad at £20 a part but imagine these cracking off whilst away from home and a simple drop.

Won't be keeping risers on again. Will put up with the shoulder pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Sorry to hear about your off.

Have you taken the bar mount off the top yoke? Are you sure it's really bent and doesn't jut look it.

I've found in the past that sometimes bars will look bent because of the movement allowed by the rubber mount. The impact makes the clamp twist around the bar allowing the bar to move. It is then held out of place by the bar. If you loosen everything off and give it a good wiggle, it generally re-aligns.

Bar risers will increase the force on the bolt that mounts the clamp but it is rubber mounted and that will absorb a fair amount of the shock of an impact.

Of course, if it's totally knackered then either it was a hell of a bang or the TA700 part isn't as robust as earlier models.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

Have you taken the bar mount off the top yoke? Are you sure it's really bent and doesn't jut look it.

I've found in the past that sometimes bars will look bent because of the movement allowed by the rubber mount. The impact makes the clamp twist around the bar allowing the bar to move. It is then held out of place by the bar. If you loosen everything off and give it a good wiggle, it generally re-aligns.

Bar risers will increase the force on the bolt that mounts the clamp but it is rubber mounted and that will absorb a fair amount of the shock of an impact.

Of course, if it's totally knackered then either it was a hell of a bang or the TA700 part isn't as robust as earlier models.
+1

I've dropped mine several times even when loaded and have had no problems

Sorry to hear you had to resort to such a drastic measure but you are OK, which is important

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,042 Posts

Errr, what he said!:D

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've taken the clamps off and removed the risers, no damage to bar or clamps/bolts either. Must admit I didn't try to realign the holder for fear of it breaking but I might undo the bolt tonite just to check. Difficult place to get at under the yoke with a big spanner.

Drop didn't seem big, I couldn't hold it as I was falling off on the downhill side. Maybe just the way it fell.

Barbusters will remove the fear of damage and another victory for the Givi crashbars.

Funny enough I seen a news item lastnite about a machine in Newmarket teaching jockeys how to properly fall off a horse. The old roll on ur shoulder technique. After 8 years of playing Hurley in thankful for all that training making a roll my natural response. No damage to me, helmet, gear or padding.

Oh and again I can't see how peeps can't lift an Alp. Even uphill it's easy once you've got a grip. Full tank and topbox too.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The rubber bush should just return to its central position when the bar clamp is undone. If it looks bent with the clamps and the bar off compared with the other side, chances are it probably has bent the mount. Bad luck. I guess they don't make them like they used to :shock:.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea I think thats about right - im actually suprised the bars didnt bend instead of the mount - thankfully its only £20 but then I wish it was a better quality £50 part so it didnt bend!

The rubber bush should just return to its central position when the bar clamp is undone. If it looks bent with the clamps and the bar off compared with the other side, chances are it probably has bent the mount. Bad luck. I guess they don't make them like they used to :shock:.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It would be sods law that if they did put a £50 part on, the top yoke would have gone ping instead :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay - revisiting this again cuz it happened again!!

When replacing the mount I matched the old and new one side by side but couldnt see by eye any damage or misalignment...thought it was probably too small to see by eye but magnified at the bar ends.

Added the risers again as I was planning some off road activites and thought Id be better with them.

Anyway - on Mudwiz's training day, I did indeed lie the bike down once or twice, first involving a wee bit of relative speed.

First thing to notice - mount bent again!

Gotta be the additional leverage thats causing the issue as such but I bet the mount isnt actually bent at all....its gotta be just the rubber bung.

I did try to lever the old one into place before fitting a new one and the new one did make a difference but I just cant believe ive bent 2 mounts.

Im gonna try just turning the mount 180 in the hole to see if its aligned upwards as much as it is downwards at the mo. You can clearly see the top of the bar clamp is out of place compared side to side so I know its not just the bars...though I reckon they might be out too.

Next step is some 3rd party mounts...seen some RFX universal mounts that will allow me to use oversize bars....new bars to boot and these include a 25mm rise compared to my oem.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been playing.

Tried turning the mount 180 and still the same misalignment so must be the rubbers.

Stuck a screwdriver in from top, pushed in opposite direction to issue. No difference. Noticed the mount is made up of 2 rubber bungs so tried to use the screwdriver on the bottom one. Result! Or at least close. Hard to get at the bottom one on it's own so done my best and that will do.

Take it these can't be replaced.

Such a bugger to get at the bolt holding the mounts in and tightening them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts