Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts

Yep, I've already bought one of these, and they are indeed a bargain, but the shipping is high.

I almost bought two, as you save $50 on shipping, but then you are taking a risk of being hit with import charges.

One thing worth noting, if like me, you are buying it to mate to a 21" front that you already have. Although it is the correct DID rim, the type of polishing/anodising was changed sometime over the years, so the new 17" rear will not accurately match the earlier 21" front rim, even if it is a new unused one, like the one I have.

Only mentioning in case this is important to the buyer.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Bob, I've been looking at buying one for the last couple of months as the original on the rear of the RD03 I currently have is still OK but past its best. What has put me off so far is that it is a 3.5 whilst the current rim is a 2.75 although either would take a 130 or 140 section tyre. With your huge knowledge of RD03s, is it suitable for building onto an RD03 hub?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hi Bob, I've been looking at buying one for the last couple of months as the original on the rear of the RD03 I currently have is still OK but past its best. What has put me off so far is that it is a 3.5 whilst the current rim is a 2.75 although either would take a 130 or 140 section tyre. With your huge knowledge of RD03s, is it suitable for building onto an RD03 hub?
Hello Chris

You're right, the RD03/4 was fitted with a 2.75 rear. In the past, I have put a 140 and 150 on the original rear of my long suffering RD04 without any issues at all.

The RD03 swingarm is very similar to the RD04, so I'm pretty sure the wider rim will go in there OK. They've all been 32 spoke, so lacing the wider rim onto your hub shouldn't be an issue.

If you're restoring and want originality, it may be that your options are a bit limited with the DID rims. These were only produced for the last TA's I believe (which has a 19 front, so no chance of getting a matching front rim)

I'm slowly accumulating the bits I need to restore my long serving and faithful RD04, and although I had a new old stock front DID rim, the rears never came up. This is a tad too wide, but will fit and work, and to make it match, I'll be taking both rims to the anodisers to get their advice. I suspect the original wheels were polished or chemically brightened before the anodising process, whereas these later rims were just anodised, so have a slightly matt effect and deeper gold colour.

These really are a bargain for £17, but the shipping is the bit that makes you think twice.

I'm not sure they have many 17's left (although I don't think they can shift the 19" fronts) so if you really want DID as opposed to Excel or similar, it might be your last chance.

Bob :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts