Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Engine is coming back together, but wasn't sure how to apply sealant to the base gasket. Do I apply any? Both sides? One side? Which side?

They are a metal pressed base gasket.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi

The main vertical joint of the two crankcase halves does require a sealant in this case. Yama bond or Honda bond. I used Threebond 1207B on my recent rebuild (no oil leaks:p). Clean the mating surfaces really well to get off all the old sealant, oil etc. Apply a thin bead to one surface (too much and it could squeeze out into the inside of the crankcases and block oilways etc). You need to get the two halves together fairly quickly once the sealant is applied so get well organised first:thumb:.

Its probably worth doing a dry run before applying sealant just so you know what to expect. The oil pump spigots may need a little lining up with a long thin screwdriver. Other than that maybe check all the bolt threads are well cleaned before you start.

Best of luck

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just read your post again, if your further on than I thought and talking about the cylinder base gaskets then absolutely no sealant required! Just the new gasket and nothing else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts