Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, speaking with Ros at Rykas and there was a suggestion of having a day of teaching some of the newer/less confident riders (+ vader - a lost cause!!!!:D:D) some basic maintanence skills - chain adjustment, oil and filter changes, checking of brakes, light changes etc. maybe a bit of a fettling day like chad hosted for last years longest day. I can do most of the basic stuff and would be willing to help. can probably get the use of a large warehouse in silvertown london at a weekend- any interest? suggestions?

sean

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Sounds like a great idea.
Strange thing is when I learned to ride we were taught basic maintenance now it is missing from the courses and I think it should be included.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Make it a full-on Working Bee too if you can get the warehouse for the whole weekend.

What I mean is as well as showing the basics we actually get some other jobs done too. We did this once before and it was great.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Make it a full-on Working Bee too if you can get the warehouse for the whole weekend.

What I mean is as well as showing the basics we actually get some other jobs done too. We did this once before and it was great.
This sounds like a great idea! Again, depending on dates I'm interested in this. :thumbright:

:sunny:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hooray. I've been trying to work out how to start a thread since we chatted Sean.....

Thanks Whealie for pointing out it had already been done. I'm in.:p
R

·
Registered
307 Posts
ok, speaking with Ros at Rykas and there was a suggestion of having a day of teaching some of the newer/less confident riders (+ vader - a lost cause!!!!:D:D) some basic maintanence skills - chain adjustment, oil and filter changes, checking of brakes, light changes etc. maybe a bit of a fettling day like chad hosted for last years longest day. I can do most of the basic stuff and would be willing to help. can probably get the use of a large warehouse in silvertown london at a weekend- any interest? suggestions?

sean

Meesh and I were chatting this morning at the Ace and we are both still keen for the basic maintenance day to happen. Are we waiting for more names, dates when the warehouse is available or has the thread just been forgotten? :thumbup:

·
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok,had the ok from our consolidation centre manager. just waiting for final confirmation from my MD (but I'm sure it wont be a problem) - but we are looking at the weekend of the 8th/9th of August for the basic bike maintanance day, to be held at our company consolidation centre (warehouse!) in silvertown London, there will be an area put aside for us inside the unit to try to teach people some basic skills.
the unit is just off the A13, past the Excel centre right next to the city airport.I will post the address when i can remember it, I just drive there.........:D:D
there will be tea/coffee provided, a secure room to put jackets lids etc and toilet facilities. obviously it is an old warehouse and quite dusty so everyone would be advised to buy some overalls for the working on the bikes.
i'm sure we have a jetwash available so we can give bikes a clean over if required - eh Tom??(only a fiver to you mate....)

things i would suggest covering are -
  • daily checks - idiots guide
  • tyre checks - both pressure and condition
  • oil and filters / oil levels
  • how to adjust & lube chains - something even big dealers cant always get right
  • brake checks - condition/changing pads/ cleaning calipers
  • changing bulbs
  • clutch adjustment
  • basic roadside repairs/fault finding
these are only a rough guide, if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to chip in.

everyone to bring snacks/cake to share - although there is a KFC/ MICKY D's about 5 mins away. tom has kindly offered to cook everyone a sunday roast at his house.....

I have limited tools, grease and stuff which i will bring, i would suggest everyone brings oil/filters/pads etc if we can help show them how to fit them we will although i do draw the line at turbos and nitros kits.....

Vader - just bring yourself and your usual good humour......

ok, as a suggestion from Whealie how about a evening on the piss ahem..... sorry an evening together for a meal and quiet drink before hand?? (obviously just me, doc law, meesh and any other ladies - the rest of you can bugger off!!!!) there is a hotel almost opposite the unit, if anyone does fancy a night in london. (i will stay as my company will pay for me.....)

ok any interest - just add your names.....

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
If there's time to do something a little more complicated I'd like to know how to do the tappets.

Is there anywhere more basic (i.e. cheap!) to stay the night - like on the warehouse floor?

·
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If there's time to do something a little more complicated I'd like to know how to do the tappets.

Is there anywhere more basic (i.e. cheap!) to stay the night - like on the warehouse floor?
TAPPETS?? Chad will be along shortly........:D:D:D shouldnt be a problem.

no-one will be able to stay in the warehouse, if there is enough takers for the hotel we might get a deal and if people are happy to share then it could work out cheap enough... failing that though, Tom is quite happy for everyone to stay at his house.....

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Top man Sean.

I'm in. And while I am happy to show people the basics (and even some more advanced stuff), a few of you super-advanced fellows can work out what makes my front end feel unsure.

If people have little jobs they want doing, come along and we'll see what we can do. Probably best to post up expected jobs in case we need to bring certain tools.

Presumably, Sean, the place would be secure if we left bikes, possibly still in bits overnight?

My place is pretty accessible either by bike or by public transport (DLR runs to Lewisham) so a bed for the night is available, maybe more than one.

If there's not much about the, perhaps we should think about a night in Greenwich (DLR) or a curry in Brick Lane (a bit of a hack away though) - unless one of the current Eastenders know somewhere good round there :confused: (I have the usual shell-shock problems of a nam vet - Dagenham).

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have spare room on the floor if needed and like Whealie, I live within traveling distance on public transport.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Oh brilliant everyone. :thumbup: I'm in for maintaining and food after. As I have no sense of direction or orientation I'm not sure how far I am from it but I think accessible, so extra bed if required.

·
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bikes can be left overnight but it goes without saying - its at the owners risk. we do have mobile security patrols (our own) who are in and out all the time so there shouldnt be any problems.....

ok, so how about a curry and a few quiet beers (FOLLOWED BY SEVERAL EXTREMELY LOUD ONES) on the friday night then? we could go into Brick lane or somewhere local i suppose. i will try and have a look round for a recommended curry house.

can everyone interested please put your names in the calender so we have a rough idea on numbers.

ta

·
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just ok'd by my MD, subject to me doing a risk assessment and method statement and a few other bits and pieces......:eek:

and you lot behaving yourselves........;);)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
a few of you super-advanced fellows can work out what makes my front end feel unsure.

QUOTE]

Some bench presses and butterfly presses should sort your front end Chris:happy3:

Well done Sean - too far for me, see you next time

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Depending on the state of play and how the insurance company decide to play it. I may be able to bring a broken @ (on a trailer) for a bit of fixing. Otherwise I'd like to try and make it in my van (Big lifting Jack & tools in the back too ! ) :)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts