Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I think I have excessive draw on the battery on my XRV 750 AT. I have used a multimeter set on 10 amps and checked the main -ve and also the separate Facet fuel pump -ve. I get:

Main -ve 0.08 (800 milliamps I think)
Fuel Pump -ve 0.04 (400 milliamps I think)

I think this is too much but would like some advice from other AT owners. If anyone can check the amps on their own bike for comparison that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi. 0.08A is 80 miliamps, not 800.
What is -ve?
You should check current draw this way: disconnect one of battery cables, and connect one wire of your multimeter to the battery contact and another to the loom. It has to be no draw at all with ignition off (0.00A) according service manual if you don't have an alarm or tracker installed

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do as lapkritis explained but use lowest current range. 10 amp setting is too much for such small currents so it won't be precise. There will be some draw, 0 reading as per manual is impossible IMHO. ~4-5mA was reading on mine

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Do as lapkritis explained but use lowest current range. 10 amp setting is too much for such small currents so it won't be precise. There will be some draw, 0 reading as per manual is impossible IMHO. ~4-5mA was reading on mine
That draw is probably what's saving the settings in your tripmeter or clock so you don't have to set it everytime you switch the ignition on

·
Registered
472 Posts
Problem with most multimeters is you have nothing useful other than 10A. Having said that if you can't get the readings right leave it to someone who can and dont fiddle with your bike in this instance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, lowest setting is 10 amp. I did check as lapkritis suggested. I disconnected the connections to the battery -ve (negative) terminal. I then connected my multimeter between the battery -ve terminal and a) main -ve connection (0.08) and b) Facet fuel pump -ve (0.04).

So, when set on 10 amp setting and I get a reading of 0.08, that 0.08 of 1 amp. Therefore 80 and 40 milliamps may be ok? Anyone else checked their bikes? mrmrva's readings look better.

I removed the 30 amp fuse from the starter relay and the readings were zero. So the draw is on this circuit but maybe its normal?

The reason I am unsure is because I had a new battery fitted after the AT was stood up after being on the road for 14 months in South & Central America - what a bike! During the 14 months away the AT was left unused a few times up to a maximum of 10 days at a time and still started fine. Back in the UK, the new battery drained very quickly so I got it replaced thinking it was a dud. However, it still seems to drain quicker than I think it should - hence my questions.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts