Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I almost made the whole year (commuting calendar year) without a mechanical or electrical breakdown. However the last couple of days as the temperatures have dropped I noticed my bike was harder to turn over in the mornings. Normal starting procedure is press the starter button, crank a few seconds, maybe just one or two. Then release starter button and crank again. The bike will fire up and be happy, the last few days the crank has gone slowly and almost stopped. I'm stupid really as I should have just gone and got a new battery. All the signs were there, I have experienced this on many cars this time of year. You would think I would have learnt my lesson:rolleyes:

So tomorrow I will go and buy a new battery, I'm certain it is the battery and nothing to do with the new lights or charging issues. I will however check the charge if my shinny new manual tells me how to.

I guess I will just have to get something from Halfords unless someone has any other suggestions.

My bike also passed the 36k mark this morning although that was partly with me trying to bump start it and pushing it back up the road before dumping it back in the garage and heading to the bus stop.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right, my local car spares place has a Yuasa YTX9-BS which is what I am going to go for. The guy on the phone mentioned it comes with the battery and a separate electrolyte pack. I think that's what he called it. Sorry to be really thick but every car battery I have bought has been plug and play. What am I supposed to do with the electrolyte pack? If I have to do what this dude is doing I need to buy a charger as well :( How to Fill and Charge Yuasa YTX14-BS Motorcycle Battery

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes if you get a new battery that needs filling with acid it will need a good charging afterwards with a low 1–2 a/h charger before it can be used. Though some types like motobatt come already filled with gel and sealed.

Motorcycle Consumer News: The Care and Feeding of Your Pet Battery

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

Batteries need paying attention to and maintenance esp as you found when stressed by Winter cold temperatures. Ensure connections / terminals are clean and secure and protected by special grease from corrosion and that the bike's inbuilt charging system esp. R/R is adequately keeping the battery charged up.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I am afraid I have joined the battery killed by hard frost club yet again . I have the battery out of one of my bikes and a car I am not using right now but left it in the Transalp thinking I would get weather and the time to go for a spin then the frost came it was only in there 2 nights before I tried to start the bike before I removed it for storage in the house . it was turning very slow I presume its gone I took it out and put it on charge but I presume there is no point . its been in the bike for 3 years so it owes me nothing really I suppose its a yuasa acid filled job .

·
Registered
266 Posts
Motobatt and an Optimate for me. I've also got one of those charging monitors in the shed somewhere, never got round to fitting it. In winter it's too cold to stand around fitting accessories, in summer I'm too busy riding to stand around fitting accessories!

·
Registered
164 Posts
If the battery is installed like the SLR it's at quite an acute angle and I would definitely fit a sealed one rather than one that you have to put loose acid in.

I have heard good things about motobatt - there was an interesting test at www.boulevardowners.com/cafe/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=157926 but it seems to have vanished. They actually started a 5 litre V8 with one, although TBH that might be easier than a 650 single.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the Motoblatt is the way forward but cant for the life of me find a place I can just walk in and get one tomorrow. I seriously cant be getting public transport again. It was colder on the bus than the bike!

I know I need a charger so will get one of these and the Yuasa. Unless I can find a Motoblatt. I'm pretty sure without looking from work that I have a Yuasa on there at the moment, if its the one that was fitted as per the receipt given to me when I purchased the bike its lasted a long time. I would be surprised if it is the same one.

I really wanted to do the whole year without a breakdown. Guess its not a serious one so still happy, just want my baby back. On the plus side its a positive for the argument with the other half why I need an R6 in the garage. Spare bikes are always good. Sorry to swear guys but they are cheaper than a Ferrari..

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
All this talk of batteries and cold weather had me outside starting up my other bike to make sure it wasnt dead.
I always go for a gel battery myself.:thumbup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds like the Motoblatt is the way forward but cant for the life of me find a place I can just walk in and get one tomorrow. I seriously cant be getting public transport again. It was colder on the bus than the bike!

I know I need a charger so will get one of these and the Yuasa. Unless I can find a Motoblatt. I'm pretty sure without looking from work that I have a Yuasa on there at the moment, if its the one that was fitted as per the receipt given to me when I purchased the bike its lasted a long time. I would be surprised if it is the same one.

I really wanted to do the whole year without a breakdown. Guess its not a serious one so still happy, just want my baby back. On the plus side its a positive for the argument with the other half why I need an R6 in the garage. Spare bikes are always good. Sorry to swear guys but they are cheaper than a Ferrari..
A year without a breakdown I should be so lucky "if it's got tits or wheels it's gonna give you problems"

·
Registered
472 Posts
Lead acid batteries don't charge quickly so they do need charging when your bike is used little or for short trips. Even longer trips won't fill the battery as a RR isn't really a charger and doesn't know what to do. That's why people buy optimate etc.
Batteries get rated at room temp or there about as performance drops off both above and below that temperature, so at freezing you have a higher resistance in the battery and thicker oil in the engine which makes a slow turnover.

I'd properly charge the battery at a slow rate, 1 to 2A for 10 hours or so and top up the cells with water indoors and at 20 to 25 celcius.
Even the optimate can't fuly charge a battery at low temps.

Have read of this...

How to charge sealed lead acid batteries; how to charge lead acid batteries, tutorial for engineers, lead acid chargers.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
other half is wondering why I am laughing, daughter in the room so I better not say tits.

Guys, I listen to everyone of you on every post you have responded and I do listen to what you say and value all your help, I genuinely do. However some people say to me I never listen, in this instance that may prove true. So Friday morning I got two buses to work, was fed up and couldn't be bothered with the train although its quicker but had the benefit of a long enough journey to watch some show on the ipad. Yes I'm that ad git on the bus/train.

On the way home the train was cancelled, then the one I got was rammed with morons. Probably nice people but I missed my bike.

This morning I picked up a Yuasa replacement. I understand the Motobatt seems to be better and was the one most recommended, however I would have to of either paid £14 for next day delivery on a Saturday or waited until Monday/Tuesday. Yuasa from the local car spares place was my best option. The guy in the shop said it didn't require charging, I wasn't sure as my research last night suggested it should be. I chose on this occasion to listen to the guy in the shop and come straight home, let the battery fill up, fitted it and fired up the bike no problems. Charging from bike) seems to be working. I forgot to test if there is a drain but still believe the cold killed my older battery so don't think there is a drain of electric.

I have ordered a charger online as I can get the one I want and its cheaper. I will test the bike again tomorrow and if the cold kills this battery overnight have to go and buy another charger locally and cancel the online one.

So I could end up looking stupid for not getting the Motobatt and waiting another couple of days but as I say I needed my bike back. I also needed to urgently get it to the jet wash to get rid of all the road salt. Job done, I have even sprayed a load o ACF50 all over it. Funny enough this is the first time after a jet wash the bike started first time.

Thanks or all your help guys and also making me laugh.

tits!:thumb:

·
Registered
472 Posts
You will need to charge that battery to get it to capacity as its only partially chemically prepared and the charging completes the process.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I shale seek a charger and charge tomorrow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
They are light but expensive. Also go from fully charged to nothing in seconds if you have an electriucal problem (eg failed reg/rec etc.)
Then you have to replace them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts