Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to price up a new battery for my XL600 V-V and wondered if anyone knows the relevant details/ model ref type stuff.
Plenty of posts around these issues at this time of year, so has anyone got some good recent experience of replacing theirs?
Gel batteries- anybody anything good/bad/ugly to share
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know the code for yours I'm afraid but I replaced mine with a Gel last year.

I don't think the Gel one is as good at holding charge during periods of being laid up. But if you use an optimiser already it won't be an issue. Mine is flat after about 2 weeks of being idle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
'Morning Shack, As far as I can tell, your 600 should have Battery ref.
712-123 otherwise known as CB-12-AB. These are Acid filled (wet) batteries and need pre-charging, £29.00 local to me, so should be about the same at your friendly shop in sunny Devon.
My 650 has a Gel type, CTX9-BS otherwise known as , YTX-9BS. same price here, did not need pre-charging, be nice if the shop would let you offer a gel one up to your bike.
Hope this helps.
All the best.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
stupid flippin' Haynes manual! just looked in there and dont say which battery it is.
think dogwheel is correct tho,too cold and dark to go look at mine in the shed,sorry!

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanlks guys, looking to sort it out at the weekend, I've taken if of the bike and gave it a decent charge, but still appears to be self discharging at around 0.02 every couple of hours ie at 7:30 this morning it was 13.4 and 9:30am down to 13.2.
I was going to plump for a gel (price dep) but dysan, if you lose a decent charge over a couple of weeks I might have a rethink (or at least search some more)
Thanks as ever for all your speedy responses.

·
Registered
116 Posts
David Silver are selling them for about £20 inc. VAT and postage. This is a genuine Honda part and the number as shown, which you required, is 31500ML7505

David Silver Spares - XL600VV TRANSALP 1997 Battery, please note if supplied mail order this cannot be supplied with acid

Bit of a hassle I suppose in that you would have to obtain and add the acid yourself later if you use mail order.

I'm not sure if this is the old style wet battery with removable caps for topping up or a maintenance free gel unit. You could always phone or email them to find out.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check out DS in a mo, otherwise I was thinking of the Bristol Battery centre in Marsh Barton, the same chain as the cornwall batt place on another link (£35 gel for a Vara)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I replaced mine last year with one from David Silvers and it was a sealed maintenance Free battery. It was for the 650 though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts