Honda XRV Forum banner

battery??

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  GSPD750 
#1 ·
Trying to work out if my battery is just rubbish or if I have other electrical issues, have been reading the threads but not yet sure if the is the issue.

I found if I leave the bike a few weeks it will usually start ok and even after only a short ride will start fine next time, but if you go for a decent ride of more than a couple of hours and you switch it off then try to start it again the battery will not turn the engine over, the lights still go but it just doesn't have to juice to turn it over, I've run with just 1 low beam and with both low beams running and it seems to be more often when both are running but has done it with just 1, which kind of makes me lean towards an average battery.

It did it too me the other day after 2-3 hour ride, I switched it off and then tried to start it 2 minutes later and it wouldn't even crank, I bump started it and turned off the lights then rode about 20mins home, went out into the garage today and turned on the lights which were strong and bright, hit the starter and it fired first crank, the battery is just a cheap one that was in it when I got it and I'm thinking it just can't handle the draw of the lights and charge enough to fire it after a long ride.

I haven't checked the reg output as need to get a new multimeter but do I chuck a decent Yasua battery in it and risk that the reg or something else is going to cook the battery?

So grab your crystal ball and clean the greasy finger prints off and let me know if you think its sounds like the battery is just cheap ass rubbish.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Could be a half knackered reg/rect but I'm more likely to suspect that one of the generator windings has gone down. This would mean a very low output to the charge circuit. Enough to run he bike but not a lot more.

Kymmy

#4 ·
Are you sure it's not just a sticky starter motor. They tend to only play up when they got hot after a long ride then mysteriously cure themselves when they cool down.

G
#6 · (Edited)
#4 the AC will be 17-22v across each phase, as it's a 3 phase system you'll have three wires, the 17-22 should read across any two of the three wires. Remember to switch your meter to AC otherwise you'll get a false eading.

For a static test of the generator just unplug and try the resistance between each wire, the reading should differer from bike to bike but should be quite low and also should be the same for each pair of wires, also then check each wires resistance to the casing, this time should be a extremely high or open circuit reading.

If the wire to wire reading differs on one pair then you have an insulation burnout between the phases, if the reaading from one wire to case (earth) is low then you have an insulation failure between that phase and earth (the last fault should show on all the wires though slightly different readings as they are all connected via the coils.)

Kymmy

#7 ·
..OR, it could be something more basic? :booty:

Check all the connections to the battery, solenoid, and starter motor. Clean them, tighten them, perhaps spray a bit of WD40 on them.

THEN, check the 30amp master fuse under the green connector on top of the solenoid. Make sure it is seated correctly and the contacts are all clean and sound (not gungey like mine, and giving similar symptoms as you describe).

Start with the basic tests that cost nothing, then start worrying if they're all OK!!

Bob

#10 ·
I checked all the connections and fuses and have already cleaned all of those, only getting around 11volts at the battery standing and getting 13.5volts running, I'm pretty sure its the battery and will replace it anyway as it is a no name brand and looks pretty old.

Was out the other day and it started missing then the electrics died on me and I made a quick stop on the side of the road, tried to fire it and it gave me a couple of clicks but thats it, rechecked all the connections etc but everything was sweet, tried the reg and it wasn't the slightest bit hot.
Luckily I was with a mate as I was miles from anywhere and it wouldn't bump start, gave it 10mins tried again but nothing so then pushed it up a nearby rise in the road (@'s are heavy to push up a gradient;)) laid on the ground for awhile till I could stand again (did I say @'s are heavy bastards) it still wouldn't start on the button so loaded my mate on the @ and push it as fast as I could get it going down the hill, first bump nothing, second bump away she went.
Left the lights off and rode back home, it ran fine all the way back not missing ever, got home about 30mins later and tried restarting it which it did fine.
Went out this morning a week later and it started straight away, so looks like the battery or electrical system just can't handle 2 lights running and keeping the battery up to running the bike, will get a new battery this week from the Yuasa agent and take it for a run next weekend and see if I need to dig a little deeper or not but fingers crossed thats all it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.