Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great weekends riding up and around Applecross last weekend for the Bealach Mor challenge cycle event, one of the tougher courses in the UK; Kinlochewe - Achnasheen - Lochcarron - Applecross - Sheildaig - Kinlochewe, 90 miles with extremely tough climbing. First time I've taken the @ up and, cliche, it was built for riding up the Bealach on a sunny day (apologies to anyone suffering the biblical deluge south of the border).

Anyone thinking of buying an Airhawk 'comfort aid' DO IT - the best mod I've bought for a bike since sticking a Maxton shock on my old TL1000S. 310 miles and no rear end problems, ahem.
The marshalling didn't involve much, a sublime ride down from my folks in Opinan (on the next peninsula north) to Applecross, cheering on the cyclists struggling with a horrendous head wind and offering help to any that had to stop. I cycled it last year & know the difference some encouragement can make. Fortunately no accidents to deal with, the dry conditions must've lent enough grip.

This was one of the stop-points, where the real soul searching begins (the Bealach itself is tough on a push bike but the relentless short climbs to Sheildaig are the real test). One guy pulled in here and would've thrown up if he'd had any food in!.
The next day offered a chance for some outlaw behaviour - stupid I know but first off-road attempt, never over 10mph.

Keep your eyes on the NW of Scotland forecast next year - they've had a good summer, 40hrs+ more sunshine through August than Edinburgh!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts