Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This was 41.6 miles into my 10 day touring trip around wales and the lake districts that I've oh so desperately been awaiting. Out of the 4 trips on this bike longer than 100 miles, it's come home in a van/AA 3 of those times :rolleyes:

Pulled over in a country lane, as I put it on the stand the oil light came on, stepped off to see oil pissing out absolutely everywhere... wondered why the rear end was so slippery on the past couple of corners!!

I replaced the rocker cover gasket the day before due to leaks, it went fine, but I re-used the old bolts, which one of them appears to be a bit weak, I guess under a bit of heat and pressure it sheared off!

So now I'm back home and majorly sulking. I've stripped and cleaned the bike and removed the bolt, there is no damage done luckily, just have to re fit the rocker cover with new bolts and top up the oil a bit! :rolleyes:

On the plus side, the bike is running SOOOO well now, as most know I've had a few problems with it, but I've also done a lot of work to it, I'm pretty sure I've fixed everything bar the warped front discs, last week I done a full service on it, replaced all filters, oil, spark plugs, lubed everything etc etc etc... it runs and rides beautifully (apart from pogo forks on braking due to discs...) seems a lot faster, smoother and all round better.

Moral of the story, if you take important bolts out replace them for new :thumbup:

Oh and check out my panniers... they were ugly green ammo boxes, now they're a bit prettier, quick release, a brace between the two and locakable.... tie down hooks on the top, very handy. Really happy with them now, only downsides is they're heavy and the paint (halfords car paint) doesn't seem to be all that scratch proof despite a LOT of lacquer :( oh well they look 10 times better than before)

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I've been behind someone when their bolt snapped the same at about 80. Very scary,very smokey and fixed with a spare nut and bolt i had in the tool roll. took some cleaning to get the oil off the bike and my visor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been behind someone when their bolt snapped the same at about 80. Very scary,very smokey and fixed with a spare nut and bolt i had in the tool roll. took some cleaning to get the oil off the bike and my visor.
I said to my mate how I felt kind of lucky I hadn't fallen off, for the past few corners I thought my tyre needed pumping up or something... went completely sideways at one point when pulling out from a layby but I'm fairly used to that as I ride off road so just put it down to the rain :D

I stripped the bike by the roadside and found the problem etc, after seeing the bolt sheared I decided there was no way I'd be able to fix that by the road so called the AA... on reflection, I think I probably could have fixed it by the road, but when it comes down to it, not sure I'd fancy doing the 10 day trip with a bodged rocker cover... as it stands I've done no damage to the engine (well at least I'm pretty sure I havent)... if I'd have risked a bodge, I could have done damage, or got stuck further away from home... so I think I made the right choice in getting recoverd.

I can't get time off until June now, but I'm going to attempt a 3 day wales trip in 2 weeks time... fingers crossed this one goes to plan :cheers:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Sorry to go off on a tangent but..........Panniers are looking pretty cool what did you use for the tie down loops on the lids? kitchen door handles?:thumbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to go off on a tangent but..........Panniers are looking pretty cool what did you use for the tie down loops on the lids? kitchen door handles?:thumbup:
Yup, D- Pull Handles.. 1 X POLISHED CHROME 64mm D PULL HANDLE CABINET (100) on eBay (end time 09-Apr-10 15:16:13 BST)

Perfect size, look good and seem to be holding up well. Much cheaper than B&Q too!

Slightly impossible to get them perfectly straight though!!! Not that you ever really look at them for straightness to be honest so it's not a major problem :thumbleft:

The best thing is the quick release system, makes life so much better, I'll try and get some pictures later this week if anyone wants more info?? I'll also picture my last minute late night made brace that goes between the two panniers, simple and easy to make, does the trick nicely and doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All back up and running, runs perfectly, lovely to ride again, sorted the rear suspension too which makes it even better.. front discs are turning up on monday then it's all sorted and ready for Wales attempt 2. :D

Took it for some "proper" off roading today, was a bit silly as I was on my own but I'm fairly experienced off road... what can I say, I had it sideways round corners, jumped it and hit ruts and bumps at speed without any complaints from the bike. Dropped it once after getting a bit cross rutted and broke my mirror but nothing major :thumb:

Very peaceful up here :cool:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The torque setting on the valve cover bolts is only 10 Nm or 88 inch pounds...which isn't much. Sounds to me like it was over-torqued and stretched and eventually failed. No fault of the bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts