1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's mine........:thumbright:
==================
Dear all,
In the 3rd charity motorcycle ride on a continuing theme of "the longest day", on Saturday 19th June along with 80 members of thexrv.org.uk motorcycle club I will attempt to "run for the sun" from the easternmost to westernmost points of the British Isles. We are doing this to raise money for our chosen charity – this year it is Help for Heroes. I have sent this email to as many colleagues and associates that I have worked with recently in the hope that you will support us in endeavours.

Help for Heroes provides practical direct support to those servicemen and women wounded in the line of duty in the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Our target is £25,000; please help me achieve our target by contributing whatever you can. You can do that via the Longest Day’sjust giving website or direct to me. You will see, at the time of writing, we have raised £5,000 so your contributions will be a great help in achieving this target. Please don’t forget to add gift in aid when you contribute and as an additional bonus I am offering a pillion ride on my bike for the first 5 people who sponsor me via the just giving website….. to claim this please quote "Austin, I claim that pillion" as part of your message of support. Ride to be taken at a mutually agreed time and date – and subject to no one making a fuss over insurance and any thing else that gets in the way of these well meant things.

The motorcycle ride will start at sunrise on the 19th June at Ness Point, Lowestoft, and finish, via Holyhead and Dublin, at Garraun Point, Dingle in Eire before sunset. We do not plan to use motorways during the journey to add an additional challenge. Total road mileage will be around 650miles, with nearly 4 hours on the ferry for those of us who have to get the slow boat to Ireland.

This is the third running of the Longest Day, the past 2 have been incredibly successful – the club raised £15,000 in 2008 for Macmillan Cancer Research riding from John O’Groats to Lands End within 24 hours; and last year we raised £25,000 by "riding 5 Capitals" – Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin, Cardiff, and London, again all within 24 hours.
More information about the trip and who’s doing it is on theLongest Day websiteand for those with access we also have a short promo video on Youtube:link to youtube video. Please watch the video – it is stirring stuff.

This year we have also secured some corporate sponsorship – Legal and General Insurance, P&OIrish Ferries, Stena Line, Hoistit, CPA, Harsco, Alimakhek, and a couple of Cafes en-route who will provide much needed breaks and refreshments. If you or your organisation wish to contribute in this way please either let me know or contact the organisers through the Longest Day website.
Thanks in anticipation
Regards
Austin Winckler

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems to be working - a consultant who works for us has just pledged £500 if I complete the ride!!! He is truly a star:thumbright:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi Austin,

Are you not planning on using Motorways???
I know that was the idea initially but didn't that change when the route was decided as it'll take too long on normal roads!

Axe

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Has it???? The last route I saw was non motorway except for a bit in Dublin. I am going my own route anyway. Dunno what it is yet mind. But I have a map and a good sense of direction.;)

Edit....just checked on the TLD website and the route doesn't include any motorway.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Edit....just checked on the TLD website and the route doesn't include any motorway.
Hi,

yep I just had a quick look as well, Didn't realise the official route wasn't the same as the one I'v got in my head!

In my mind the official route cuts it a bit close for the early ferry. (A 4am start with no fuel/toilet/coffee breaks gets you to Holyhead 15mins before boarding closes) as long as you don't speed. With the best will in the world nobody will average the speed limit on a journey like this. I'm on the late ferry but have to stop in Manchester to pick Cathy up so I'll be using motorways most of the way, even then I'm looking at over 7 hours, (riding, add to that fuel/coffee/toilet stops) so a 4am start will get me to Holyhead only just in time for boarding.

Axe

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget the roads will be very quiet for the first four hours. I also thought we were stretching the rules somewhat and starting a litle bit early.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Excellent work with the donation, Austin.

Routes are your own affair, but we have suggested two routes in England and Wales, via Nottingham and via Jelly's. The Nottingham route uses the M6 for one junction but that can be avoided. The Jelly's route uses the M6 and M56 for speed but that again can be avoided by a dash across Cheshire through Northwich.

In Oirland there is the patentlyabsurd,overcomplicatedandfranklyimpossible computer-generated route or the N7 which has a section of about 30km where non-motorway bikes have to follow the M7 by keeping alongside it.

Road books should be e-mailed to you soon...

:thumbright:

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
Austin (or indeed anyone else who can help),
I'm about to do a final begging e-mail to clients. How do I get the promo video screen image as the link to the video? I can use a word link but can't figure out how to get the screen to be the link.
Many thanks.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
I'm about to do a final begging e-mail to clients. How do I get the promo video screen image as the link to the video? I can use a word link but can't figure out how to get the screen to be the link.
Many thanks.
Mr Steinberg, here is the You Tube link, perhaps you could use this url

YouTube - TLD 2010 Promo Video

I am sure someone more computer literature will come along and correct me :thumbup:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks.
My begging letter just had a normal text based hyperlink (blue underline, that sort of thing) which I thinkis what you are doing. It was only when I pasted it in the post that it appeared like it does here. I assume the forum software includes something that recognises a youtube URL and converts it to look like it does in my post.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
Thanks GOG, but still none the wiser! I can click on the screen image of the You Tube link and copy the URL, then paste it (the URL) into an e-mail and edit the hyperlink to say something like 'promotional video', but I can't find a way of getting the screen image itself into an e-mail to act as the link :confused: Any suggestions from any folks? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts