Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the fins on the barrels is bent on the R45. It's not hugely noticeable and I could live with it but it would be nice if it was straight. Thing is I don't want to break it as I rather have a bent fin than a broken one.

Is it possible to straighten or should I leave well alone?

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
Leave well alone! I had exactly the same on the R60, was as careful as hell, and it snapped!

:mad:
Which probably means you used a lump hammer as opposed to a sledge hammer to try to straighten it.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
An 'old school' metalworker once gave me a useful tip for straightening aluminium alloy without cracking/breaking it. To improve the plasticity of the alloy use locally applied heat from a blowlamp/heatgun, the trick is knowing when the part is hot enough. The tip was to rub a plain white soap bar (e.g.: Simple) on the part and when the soap turns brown stop heating. I've used this technique on car alloy rims and it worked for me. This will only work on slight dings and dents so don't go trying to straighten out a mangled brake or clutch lever with this technique (tried that too and it didn't work!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts