Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eight weeks back I had a paragliding accident, fractured a vertebra.
Welcome to a whole world of pain, air ambulance, paramedics, the whole caboodle.
Made a poor decision, turned towards the hill before I was higher than the hill, splam! heavy landing on my arse.
The air bag in my harness saved me being totally destroyed and I managed to lift my egs before they were propelled up into my pelvis.
Hurt, but mobile after a fashion, I was walkig about a week later with a sexy corset on.
Three weeks later I wheeled the bike out of the garage and was just able to hop on board. Put it back again and think not so bad.
A week later I took it out for a run, pain from my coccyx which was battered to hell but stayed in one piece.
Otherwise it felt fine.
I am now back at work and managed a ride of 70 miles a fe days back.
The AT is the ony bike I have ever had that would be rideable in this state, I sat on a CBR 600F and could not even reach the bars.
The bolt upright stance and soft suspension is perfect for this state of being.
My GP just about ok'd me riding.
Picture shows my sexy corset.
I could not even sit up, four days after the accident, they fitted this and I was walking around the place.
Amazing.
I have another four weeks wearing it and I am free.
Now it is onlyon when I leave the house.
brace.jpg

Two weeks before doing this my wifey walked out on me.
Mrs Queen once had an annus horriblis. I had an Augustus catastrophicus.

Still I am on the mend, I have learned how many wonderful friends I have and have even stayed friends with her.
I am going to hibernate next August.

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
Jeeez mate, good to hear your on the mend. Are you still going to carry on paragliding or are you grounded?
Had a play with microlights in France a few years back, good fun and I could see the attraction. Cost was prohibitive over here though.
Did consider paragliding, but still haven't got round to it.

Been quite lucky never to pick up a serious back injury. I have had a few offs over the years, one quite bad, but generally been a lucky bugger!

Rob

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As soon as I am feeling up to it I will be back in action.
The fact that it was a simple mistake on my behalf makes that a fairly easy decision. it is a classic bad thing to do and I bloody knew that.
I wanted to land in field X, got lofted a bit high for that, I should have used the next field along, turned back to make a second lower approach, as you turn you gain energy and lose height.
I feel very lucky to have got off so lightly and to have been using top notch gear.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sorry to hear of your predicament mate, on both counts. I've only had one very heavy landing Skydiving and was lucky I landed on recent ploughed soil. I turned to land and went with the wind, not into it. No damage done thankfully.

Glad you're on the mend. Take it easy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you're not religious then your number was not up, even if it was an error of judgement on your part.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend - physically and hopefully mentally.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
You can't weld a back - even an arty one. Flippin 'eck that was close. Take it easy. Need anything? Shout.

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
Nice lingerie!
Glad to hear you're on the mend ... I hope the recovery is swift and complete.
And yes, I think you should avoid Augusts in future.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doing fine indeed.
I had a couple of people say 'what an extreme life' I lead?
Wha? I like paragliding, I like motorbikes, oh I bust my back flying and got back on my bike.
is that extreme? I dont think so.
I struggled with that term.
I like to get on with things, shit happens and can be lived around.
Extreme? no.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ooyah ! and Ooyah! Hope things get better for you. What's "Extreme" about just living the life you like? Carry on and enjoy life to the full! You only get the one shot at it unless you're a Bhuddist, and even then you might come back as a penguin ! :sunny:

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's a tough month for you chunkolini. I hope the back continues to mend.

I badly injured my coccyx in 2009. I tried Airhawk, sheepskin and all sorts of cushions to deal with the pain/discomfort that came after an hour on the bike. Nothing worked completely (they simply delayed the inevitable) until I got this done to my HP2 seat by Saddlemen USA

It works

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well glad your on the mend and made the jump back on the bike. Just because u get older does not mean u stop doing thing you like even if there dangerous. So u need to keep your back straight and feet on the ground and not crunched up. I think your in the right area with "Adventure" bikes or even a bike with straight bars IE Bandit , ER5 , SV 650 you get the idea ....

Sorry on the Mrs but now you can please yourself what you do and when u do it .... live life my friend :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Things are going well here.
Head is mended, I thought I was ok then realised I was not, got that sorted and feel fine.
Back is improving, very couple of days I register improvements, and the base of the spine has virtually stopped hurting even on the bike.
Farcall, that is an impressive solution.
I have even stayed friends with 'her'.
Junior and I keep the house, when I am sorted we are going to sell up and move to Wales.
At least that seems to be the plan.
Things could be so much worse.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Come and join us welsh boys mate. We like people who are the 'get on with it type' down here.
So many people in this world just take every opportunity to moan and make excuse why they can't live life.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike
Swansea is where I am looking to be going.
Either in or just ouf ot the city.
I had thought llanelli but it does not sound so lovely.
Burryport? or maybe the West side of the city, within walking distance of the sea.
We will have to catch up sometime

·
Registered
450 Posts
Burryport would be my choice. More like a village and right on the seafront. Llanelli is a big place and depending where you go to live, you could have
quite a walk to the sea.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Sorry to hear of your situation

Hope things improve

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Paul
Things have improved massively the last few weeks.
I was on a high from not being crippled or killed then a few weeks back I fell off. Just as well I realised that I was entitled to be at rock bottom and stopped being brave for a few days.
Then booted myself up the arse.
Thanks to friends I am back in one piece.
Get mended properly and get the house on the market.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Bit like a bus this ,all coming at once.
Funny enough I was watching a program today about a guy that got unseatted by his horse and got dragged along by one leg that was trapped in the stirrup , he smashed his coccyx and broke his collar bone.
He is now back to horse racing , so there is still hope for your poor arse to get fit again.
Hope your future gets a lot better for you and you heal well enough for it to be just a memory.

All the best Mr chunk ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts