Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all maybe its an old repeated topic ,
i would like to know the best oil for my At its around 38000 miles and i leave in Egypt (hot climate ) average of 30s year round
its hardly to get motorbike oil over here so i use cars oil
any hint what is the best oil for it so i can get much much mile out of my babe ??
thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I used to live in span (similar temperatures) and I used to use 10-40, semi synthetic motorcycle oil. I am sure you could use a car oil of similar type as long as it doesn't have any cleaners in it. I never had any problem with the heat using a 10-40. Someone will come along with an answer on the car oil bit soon

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
There's been a lot of stories regarding car based oil causing clutch slip due to additives. I've always kept away from semi synthetic as most @ts I've seen running synth smell of burning oíl if you follow them. Honda recommend mineral oil so I've always stuck to that, seven @Ts and I've never had one burn oil. Usually use Rock oil.

Reactions: Egypt xrv

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've always used semi synthetic and in the same temperatures as the OP and have never had to top up with oil between services also used whatever oil was available as in Spain you pay through the nose for non brand oil. I think it's personal choice but top price oil is the emperors new clothes

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
This is direct out of the Honda Africa Twin Owners Manual....

Use only high detergent, quality motor oil certified on the container to meet or exceed requirements for API Service Classification SE, SF or SG.

10w 40 is the best grade for you to use. The next best would be 15w 40/ 15w 50. Any grade after SG is okay to use as this exceeds the SG specification. IE, SL

You need to use a JASO MA grade oil which is specifically designed for use in motorcycle engines with WET clutches. Either MA1 or MA2. Apparently MA2 is suitable for use in vehicles with Catalytic Converters. As the AT doesn't have this an MA or MA1 oil would be best. MA2 oils apparently have less anti wear additives in for use with a Cat. So the MA oil would have more anti wear additives in and better for engine life.

So a 10w40 grade oil which meets SE, SF or SG with a JASO MA-MA1 rating is the oil to go for! Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The long answer is;

Most motorcycle engines have a "wet clutch" with the plates immersed in engine oil.

Almost all car engines are "dry clutches" in a bell housing, separated from any oils.

Car oils have friction modifiers in them, to prolong engine life, and if you use them in a motorcycle engine, the same friction modifiers might make the clutch slip.

So the answer is, to use either motorcycle specific oil, OR a basic car engine oil that doesn't contain any friction modifiers.

A basic (car) mineral based 10w40 engine oil will suffice for an Africa Twin engine. Fancy car oils, synthetic or semi-synthetic might cause problems.

All motorcycle oils should be OK. I've used fully synthetic (which is an overkill to be honest) Motul Racing 5w40 and 15w50 oils in my own AT without any problems in the past.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've read in the past car 10w 40 diesel engine oil is o.k. for wet clutches,never tried it myself but others have with no problems.

Reactions: Egypt xrv

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all bikers for the great info :thumbup:
i found in Egypt that
wolf 20w50-sg/cd mil will it be good for my AT ???it is 20 -5- so good for hot climate and it is SG but what is MIL and is it for wet clutch ?? thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ok i use 10/40 semi car oil .....

I run my Drz for 10 years and 43k no problems and original clutch , a 96 GSXR 600 again many miles no problems and same here for the AT again no problems ....

Cant really say anything else :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts