Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my @ it had a Scottoiler fitted already, the previous owner had fitted it in the little storage area next to the battery, given that storage space is at a premium I had always planned on moving it to a different location and I'm now on my second attempt at finding the perfect place but I'm still not happy with it.

The first place that I moved it to was under the panel on the L/H side, this was not a good place as to make adjustments to the flow I had to remove the panel (doh!)

The place that I've fitted it today can be seen in this photo here---¬ photo_12_.JPG
OK, not the neatest use of Sugru and cable ties but if I keep it here permanently I'll rig up something a bit better if I keep it here, what I'm not happy with is the hose from the reservoir looking messy, It has to go this side of the frame so as to make sure that it misses the chain. The Scottoiler website has a several ideas on where to put it (http://www.scottoiler.com/images/stories/Reservoir_positions_general.pdf) and there are some possibilities but it's entirely possible that a member has found the killer location which is one of the reasons for this post. I don't want to fit if anywhere where it'll be in a direct line for all the crud from the wheel and it's got to be easy to get at to fill it up, any idea's folks?

On another chain lube matter, I wasn't happy with the quality of the lubing that I was getting from my single Scottoiler nozzle, my problem was that one side of the chain was getting lubed but the other was too dry, the Scottoiler twin feed nozzle is quite expensive at £25 so I looked at the Tutoro twin feed nozzle at a fiver, It's got to be said that the twin feed kit from Scottoiler is a comprehensive kit of parts whereas the Tutoro jobbie is just a twin feed nozzle with nothing else supplied at all but being a tightwad that is what I bought.
To do a ghetto Tutoro TFN/Scottoiler hybrid is quite easy and this is how I did it: First of all you'll need to have a few bits and bobs around and what I used was a bit of bright mild steel plate a few Cm long and I enlarged the hole that was already in it so that I could mount it underneath the plastic chain guard on the swingarm, I then bent it into position and then fitted the delivery hose from the reservoir with the twin nozzle fitted into the end of the hose in the place that allowed the twin nozzles to contact the chainwheel and then just bent the end of the steel plate over the hose to keep it in position, yes, it was a bit of a faff but I saved £20!

Here's a picture showing the twin nozzles and the steel plate fitted to the chainguard
photo_11_.JPG

And here's another showing the steel plate fitted behind the nearest bolt on the chainguard

If it starts to rust then I'll make one out of alloy but this was all that I had to hand at the time.

Anyhow, I suppose I should have done a search before posting this question but there is stuff other than a question contained which some may find useful...

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Mine is under the right hand side panel on top of the rear shock resevoire - the pipe is fed over in front of the battery and down onto the swing arm

Where you have yours now you could do with rerouting the feed pipe inside the frame - your leg will press / rub against where it is at present - mine has all the paint worn off the sides of the frame

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Paul,
If I run it inside the frame I fear that it's too close to the chain. I don't like it where it is though.

Got any pictures of where yours is fitted?

Cheers and thanks,

Allan

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
I've got my reservoir stuck onto the nearside radiator lug. A tube donated by Mr Steve T attached to said lug tucks it in nice and easy. To refill, just pull reservoir out of tube and re fill, no panels to take off :thumbup:
A bit longer to route the supply pipe, but been on the bike now for 3 yrs and no issues at all

Sorry, no pics... too late and too dark :D

Good luck :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hey Paul,
If I run it inside the frame I fear that it's too close to the chain. I don't like it where it is though.

Got any pictures of where yours is fitted?

Cheers and thanks,

Allan
Allan if you look closely you can see the pipe just above the shock reservoire - I don't have any pictures of the other side

3.jpg

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got my reservoir stuck onto the nearside radiator lug. A tube donated by Mr Steve T attached to said lug tucks it in nice and easy. To refill, just pull reservoir out of tube and re fill, no panels to take off :thumbup:
A bit longer to route the supply pipe, but been on the bike now for 3 yrs and no issues at all

Sorry, no pics... too late and too dark :iconbiggrin:

Good luck :thumbup:
That sounds good Lowflyer, what kind of a tube is it that was donated, is it the thing that Scottoiler sell?

Any chance of a picture when its light? (pretty please)

Allan if you look closely you can see the pipe just above the shock reservoir - I don't have any pictures of the other side

View attachment 18560
Thanks for that Paul, I'm liking Lowflyers installation at the mo tho!

Allan

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
No, it's a bit of a table leg, honestly, just a metal tube big enough for the reservoir to slip into :D
The widening at the top of the reservoir stops it sliding through.

I'll take pics at the weekend :thumbup:

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it's a bit of a table leg, honestly, just a metal tube big enough for the reservoir to slip into :D
The widening at the top of the reservoir stops it sliding through.

I'll take pics at the weekend :thumbup:
Thanks for that low flyer, unless you've got a novel way of mounting you don't need to take a picture because I can see how you've most likely fitted it. I've had a look at mine and I think that this is a good place to have it so I'm going to order the cradle from Scottoiler for my own installation, thanks for the idea!

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, here's an update to my quest for the best place to mount a Scottoiler on the @

I bought a Scottoiler cradle which is a device that serves the same function as Lowflyers chair leg above, I then cable tied it to one of the fork stanchions and it worked just fine with just enough clearance at both left and right lock (or so I thought) unfortunately it moved and I must have squashed it because the RMV now has a crack in it and some of the bits have jumped ship (DAMN) I'm now left with a non working Scottoiler in a new position which is in front of the left hand radiator cable tied to the mesh guard.

I don't think that this will affect the workings of the rad much if at all (he says with fingers crossed)

So, anyone got a spare Scottoiler RMV for sale?

I'm also going to post this request in the for sale/wanted forum

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
I bolted mine next to the clocks using one of the four mounting bolts and the plastic ring type mounting (if you haven't already got one from the scottoiler kit). I used to be able to adjust it on the move and obviously it's difficult to forget to top it up, as you see it every time you look at the speedo.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bolted mine next to the clocks using one of the four mounting bolts and the plastic ring type mounting (if you haven't already got one from the scottoiler kit). I used to be able to adjust it on the move and obviously it's difficult to forget to top it up, as you see it every time you look at the speedo.
It's a good idea Yen but it wouldn't work or be practical for my bike because I've got one of them there panels fitted that surrounds the clocks, Even if I didn't It would be too easy for some twit to mess around with because my bike is kept on the street (yes I am a bit paranoid but it is one of the things I think I have to consider)

I want to have stuff easy to get at but hidden enough to not invite attention from the klepto's and messers!

Thanks for the idea though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts