Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, recently joined the forum after buying myself a ‘93 Transalp. It needs very little doing to it but I’d like to plan some repairs and basics. So, been asked before no doubt, but what’s the best source for buying spares and consumable, cables, electric parts, bearings etc.

First off I need a new starter solenoid, eBay offers loads, from £5 to £50 :sad1: Any favourite suppliers?

Lots of them say the connections are back to front. Simple enough to swap wires, but there’s six wires.... :(

447CB767-A235-4678-951D-C98F0112104D.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I’ll check them out. :thumbright:

Eta. They sell the starter solenoid, aftermarket, £36. I see on the Bay of evil identical looking items are for sale anywhere between £3.77 and £37. Are they perchance all the same unit?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If the pictures are the same the item probably is, for Chinese sourced items, of course the seller may just use 'library' pictures.
Are the expensive items just the cheap ones priced higher? or are the cheap ones the dud expensive ones! but some are good & OK.
Reputable dealers eg David Silver, Wemoto etc may be more more expensive than some but they have a reputation to maintain so problems may be sorted.
You pays your money & etc!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
david silver is good, but pretty pricey.

i have used these people:

https://www.wemoto.com

also.. the Transalp 600 shares many parts with the Honda Revere/Deauville 600/650 and the Africa twin 650/750

this is a good site for part numbers/diagrams etc

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/600-MOTO/TRANSALP

ebay germany often has a lot of used tranalp parts too

www.ebay.de

i have seen this site too, never used it though

https://www.msa-direct.co.uk/honda_xl600_transalp_parts/1991_to_1993.html

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
Pattern parts can vary as dod says above , but sometimes the likes of David Silver source parts from the manafacturer of the original equipment , so it does not have hondas mark up on it , I know a supplier of parts that lists 3 throttle cables for the old RD yamahas , he has cheap chinese ones at about £17 pattern ones from the same factory that supply yamaha , at £30 , and genuine ones at £54

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pattern parts can vary as dod says above , but sometimes the likes of David Silver source parts from the manafacturer of the original equipment , so it does not have hondas mark up on it , I know a supplier of parts that lists 3 throttle cables for the old RD yamahas , he has cheap chinese ones at about £17 pattern ones from the same factory that supply yamaha , at £30 , and genuine ones at £54
The Wemoto site has Transalp throttle ‘push’ cables, one at £9.95, one at £26.60 Be interesting to see the actual difference in quality.

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
I bought a secondhand golf turbo diesel years ago , it was immaculate, the missus went shopping and someone let a trolley run away in the car park and it scraped the wheel arch, so i enquired from VW how much a set of GTi plastic arch trims where, £30 each was the reply , phoned german and swedish , Italian made pattern parts £17 the set , German pattern parts £25 the set , I had recently had a fiat and the plastic rapidly faded on that, so ordered the german ones, rubbed down and painted the damage, went to fit arches when i looked at them there where marks on them where someone rubbed off some writing inside , they had not done a very good job on one , it was the VW/AUDI symbol and part number they had rubbed off , and put a different number on , result

Reactions: King Herald

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wemoto are excellent, I have been using them for years. David Silver is good but expensive as they sell original Honda parts. After my last accident I needed to replace the belly pan which is only plastic, I was shocked to find out it costs £180.00 new! I got one used off ebay for £40.sprayed it and it looks great. I reckon for some parts it is worth going OEM like front sprocket etc for other stuff I shop around

1 - 9 of 9 Posts