Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running the bike on Bridgestone trailwings they don't tend to last very long. Any ideas?

Anybody tried continental trail attacks?

The back has only done 1200 miles and is nearly bald. but it was on single track roads in Scotland.
Tracey :p

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I'm happy with my Gripster, so long as the trail is dusty/dry, altough on the black stuff I've had no issues (can't comment on longeivity as yet as new in Nov):toothy5:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have found the best tyres to be made of rubber and filled with air.:D

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
If you are looking for road tyres then I use Dunlop 607's, I think thats what there are called but as Lutin said, very topical subject.

·
Registered
779 Posts
On road only, bridgestone BT45's.

Off road, conti TKC's or heidenau K60's.

Other choices include the tourances and anakees which both get good reviews, or avon distanzia's but these are divide opinions very effectively as to whether they're any good, so personally I avoid them.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Here we go...

Ive used BT45's since last April and I cant fault them at all on the road. Did try them on dry solid off road in the Pyrenees but didnt really do much to test them. They lasted 2.3k around France in July, very hot temps and aggressive riding with full pannier kit on - and another 8k commuting before the centre was bald enough to replace.

Trying Tourances next as hopefully not commuting daily all year round and I want to do more green lane type riding - hard base to begin.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Here we go...

Trying Tourances next as hopefully not commuting daily all year round and I want to do more green lane type riding - hard base to begin.
Why do people insist on this type of tyre for laning... they are rubbish at it despite all the manufacturer garb that they dual sport they really are at the bottom of the pile for lanes

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Why do people insist on this type of tyre for laning... they are rubbish at it despite all the manufacturer garb that they dual sport they really are at the bottom of the pile for lanes
My Distanzia's have problems coping with my garden, they are OK on the roads though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the ideas, you have all given me something to think about over the next few weeks.
I will let you know what I choose and how they perform.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Lmao at this. Your prob not wrong Phil but compared to my BT45's I'm sure they're amazing especially in Norfolk where the mist I will tackle is hard base sand in Thetford! Nothing even slightly resembling a hill in Norfolk either..... never mind comparing to Welsh mountains.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Lmao at this. Your prob not wrong Phil but compared to my BT45's I'm sure they're amazing especially in Norfolk where the mist I will tackle is hard base sand in Thetford! Nothing even slightly resembling a hill in Norfolk either..... never mind comparing to Welsh mountains.
After using a pair of tourances off road I honestly don't think you gain anything over a full on dedicated street tyre (no grip, vs... no grip!), especially on such a heavy bike as the alp. Just take it offroad with the BT45's but avoid mud and wet grass, you'll probably be surprised at how much you can do. The amount of hills I've had to jog or push the bike up cos the tourances just won't grip is unreal. Can't wait for some decent off road tyres ;)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just realised I was being a bit negative in my last post after getting back from an amazing off road ride- carry speed through slightly muddy sections and stick to rocky bits and avoid thick mud like the plague and you can do quite a lot with tourances, though that applies to BT45's also I suspect. Go near mud or wet grass and expect to get some serious drift on, and don't even think of going into deep mud. Most trails I've been on today have had a decent amount of rocks which provide enough grip to haul me and my alp up the trail. It's all about choosing where to ride when you've got inappropriate tyres ;)

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
pure road work, then pirelli scorpian S/T's - I have these on my xt660z tenere, my XTZ750 super tenere and on my 600 transalp. good all round all weather tyre. good mileage from them as well.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What do you think of the TKC80's :rolleyes: I believe they are good off road but what about on the road :confused: , which is what I'll be using the bike for the majority of the time. Else it BT45's. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts