Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Got myself a Beta ALP 200 recently and it's a fantastic little bike :) but I'm finding that the chain is catching on a lug on the chain run, especially the split link is it's two pins are more proud and squarer shouldered to accommodate the clip. I'll try and get a location pic later but it's a lug with a threaded hole near to the footrest, I'm convinced something should be in there/has fell out to guide the chain but looking at the exploded diagrams in the manual there's nothing shown in that position..

Anyone with a Beta ALP tell me what you have there :confused: if anything??

Cheers

Si

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the lug, I've just grabbed a pic. I've tapped in a mushroom headed nylon rivet to prevent the splitlink chain pins in particular dropping into the hole (locks the wheel when spun by hand if it catches) but this pushes the chain slightly further up & out - anyone have a Beta ALP that could grab a pic of the frame here for me? :

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,042 Posts
There should be a roller on that. Most bikes have them, one from any trail bike should just bolt straight on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, OK, makes sense. The roller, is it a ballraced affair that rotates with the chain or just a solid fixed nylon billet/roller guide?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,042 Posts
Ah, OK, makes sense. The roller, is it a ballraced affair that rotates with the chain or just a solid fixed nylon billet/roller guide?
On my DR it is one that sits direct on a long bolt and turns because of the loose fit. It only touches the chain when the suspension is compressed or has dropped. Here is a picture of a badly worn one I just went and searched out in the deep drawers of my garage. Maybe it had ball bearings once but I don't think so.

There are usually two, look above the chain, you might be able to swap that one downward temporarily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pic, just had a peek behind the frame and yes there is one at the top :) Strangely the chain doesn't touch it when I lift it by hand although I guess it must as there is clear evidence of contact on the rubbed clean parts. It turns, but it's not raced & feels quite stiff, I'd say it's just sitting on the bolt shank.

Might try putting this on the bottom lug temporarily but it would definately be in constant heavy contact with the chain in this position, it's about 28mm diameter and would lift the chain a fair way and act as a tensioner (or does it run underneath??) I've taken a better pic of the bottom lug & a pic of the top roller :

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,042 Posts
It's well worn so it must be doing something, unless a previous owner put the worn one up top (from the bottom) and put a new one at the bottom which promptly fell off.

They must be pennies, try a bike shop that sells motocross/enduro bikes, they must have a few in stock.

Don't forget to readjust your chain as it may make it a bit tighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts