Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion or experience of these machines -

I am looking for a lighter machine, dual purpose, leccy and kick start and carry two up for the odd jaunt,

I liked the look of the Yamaha Tricker, but am put off by small wheels, being an import, and also very hard to find...and man, do they cost if you can find one:(.

so I am looking at Beta Alps - the 200 would be enough for what I need,

I have ridden crf230's, dr350, and XL, XR 250's but I want something a bit more refined and light.

They don't seem many about????

any other suggestions welcome..

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Not that one, but I've ridden the 350 Alp which uses the DR350 engine. It is tons lighter than the DR, and I don't know what they did to the engine but it's much better than either of my DR350 engines. I think it's just the exhaust and airbox changes.

The bike in the water is the one I rode, it still belongs to my mate in Wiltshire (he's had it about 5 years now I think). He's not stalled it, he left it there to help someone who had got stuck in front of him and was just getting back on it.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
A good Serow is worth a look Pat :thumbright:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input - I have been doing a bit of research - good serow hold their value too, DRZ is too big for what I want. The Djebels are a rare beast too,.

I still like the more "trials" look of the Beta alp, but apparently the foot position is too far forward for serious work, - they can "reverse" the pegs to assist so that may be an option - along with the "fishing" for the gear change and rear brake,

I used to reverse mount the gear change to 1 up - 6 down on a cafe racer, (that was a long time ago!) which might be a possibility, only the brake to sort out then.

One other thing -a titchy paper element beta oil filter is... have a guess??????

£15.00!!!!:rolleyes: - I can speak Yorkshire too..... OW MUCH????!!!! so will enquire at Suzuki to see if they can match one up, just in case.

Still looking for Mrs Right! -

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
came acreoss the Scorpa T ride, which is a dual purpose enduro / trials machine,

has any one had a ride on one?

Second hand - rare & expensive - so still researching - any opinions still welcome:)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
came acreoss the Scorpa T ride, which is a dual purpose enduro / trials machine,

has any one had a ride on one?

Second hand - rare & expensive - so still researching - any opinions still welcome:)
We came across a couple riding his and her T-rides in the Pyrenees last summer, nice looking bikes :thumbleft:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bob, that must be a dream come true! enough dosh for 2 x scorpas - and a partner who rides too.

Any progres on the Harlvessons front?

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Hi Bob, that must be a dream come true! enough dosh for 2 x scorpas - and a partner who rides too.

Any progres on the Harlvessons front?
Here are the T-rides........

the bladders across the tank carried extra fuel as petrol stations are scarce in the Pyrenees.

I didn't go with the Halvarssons in the end, I bought one of these from germany.....

https://www.polo-motorrad.de/en/rallye-jacke.html

Bob.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a nifty way to mount a rear view "wide angle" mirror.... might have a think about that....

Still hunting down a 200 Beta Alp......:confused:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally after a bit of ferreting and searching.... here it is....

Seems a great machine - just got to get it out on the trails -Rosedale is a bit far to sample those northern green lanes...

A suzuki 200 oil filter is just over £6.00 - less than 1/2 Beta price.:D

Typically - as with buses, you wait for ages - nothing...... then get one and straight away one comes up on ebay!!!:confused: if anyone else is thinking about these machines...

Beta Alp 4T 200 2003 on eBay (end time 22-Aug-10 18:04:13 BST)

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi there, I've been looking at that alp on ebay, I am interested in it, but trying to find out about these bikes is next to impossible,

I dont suppose you could tell me if they would be comfy enough on A/B roads, would it sit at 50-55 mph, or would that be screaming it too much?

I had a dr200 djebel a couple of years ago and that was fine on the road and the alp is the same engine, is it geared differently to to the alp?

many thanks
taffy:thumbright:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nice one Pat :thumbleft: get yourself up here for some trail-riding ;)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Nice little bike that. Went out with a guy who had one a few weeks ago on one of Cabbage's runs and it was very capable. I seem to remember that he had nil probs on the roads at 50/55 mph

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You are right - info is thin on the ground - you have to trawl the internet to pick snippets up.

only had a short time to test it out so far - 50/55mph seems to be about right - I don't know what it's geared to at the moment - it does come with a smaller primary sprocket - (not used) so it may be standard.

seat seems a bit hard and suspension too but haven't played with settings.

it's well known - see earlier in the thread - footrests are too far forward for serious trial work.

smallish frame - I'm 5'10 and it will getting risers asap.

steering lock is very good - better than an AT - not quite as good as an out and out trials machine - but almost.

On the ++side - leccy start AND kicker -

very nimble and light - two up capability - rear pegs which I like to have the use of if necessary.

mine has a great alloy after market exhaust - got the original too and a sustantial 5mm alloy sump guard.

one of the reasons I looked for one is I really like the styling, colour and looks of it, especially the 2003 models as opposed to later versions - which is just the way I am - it's important to ME!:D

also I think they will hold their value if looked after - they are about - but good ones that aren't bashed to death on trials and LDT's are rare - If I don't get on with it:confused: - I'll be able to sell it again without too much trouble.:D

hopefully see you at the national Bob & Phil - maybe work out a visit up your way - just missed the last Ubley meet but don't think it's the ideal place for it - but wouldn't mind it for a play in the woods.

If there is anything else - let me know but have limited testing at the mo!

·
Registered
8 Posts
cheers for the info, I'll let you know if i buy it :) I could head up the welsh region of the 2003 yellow beta alp 200 owners club :thumbright:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

strangely enough

Beta Alp, 4T (Black/Red) 200, for sale, (Berks).
2002, less than 4k (km) looks genuine IMHO, in really,really good untampered etc with nick, taxed and tested (both next year), everything working and running great.

I like it but the gf lets me surf and mtb and is whingeing a bit about it, plus having checked out local lanes most of the ones I rode 10 or so years ago have been had away - so there isn't that much local and the trials tyres aren't liking the road. £1450 inc DEP lift stand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts