Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Do we have any resident bicycle guru's?? I seem to remember we do.
Anyway.
I have a cheap bike, but the lad has been riding it and snapped the rear axle.
I've bought a new axle from Halfords for a tenner but I can't see how to get the rear gears off.
I think I need a special tool. Does anyone have one that I can borrow and post back?
Here's some pics.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
There is a special tool and they differ depending on the gear set - probably easiest to pop the wheel down to Halfords - it only takes seconds to do.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Top advice don't get one!!!!!!!!!

Why pay all that money like road tax, insurance fuel and maintenance then leave the bloody thing in your garage.
ride the motorbike

but looking at your photo is that a black ring with slots in it a nut with a lefthand thread. Try tapping it with a hammer and punch

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
A tenner, it'd have been cheaper to goto the booty and buy a wheel ;)

You are supposed to use a special tool but what i used to do (and has been mentioned) is use a flat head screwdriver and tap it round with a hammer. Used to work for the crank too :)

If i had the proper tool you could have borrowed it, i'm sure someone must have one?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top advice don't get one!!!!!!!!!
Why pay all that money like road tax, insurance fuel and maintenance then leave the bloody thing in your garage.
ride the motorbike
Ummmm I already have one thanks and I can't ride my motorbike around Center Parcs!!! :D

jasonbc said:
but looking at your photo is that a black ring with slots in it a nut with a lefthand thread. Try tapping it with a hammer and punch
Done that... it's not moving.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A tenner, it'd have been cheaper to goto the booty and buy a wheel ;)

You are supposed to use a special tool but what i used to do (and has been mentioned) is use a flat head screwdriver and tap it round with a hammer. Used to work for the crank too :)

If i had the proper tool you could have borrowed it, i'm sure someone must have one?
Yes but I think the tool fits inside the hole and fits in the internal splines, I can't get in there with a screwdriver to smack it. I'm also not sure whether the outer locknut thing needs to move as well.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
They are not left hand thread -the normal pedaling motion tightens them so it lefty loosey to undo BUT they are always tight hence the splined bits

The normal way is to mount the special tool in a strong vice put the wheel onto it and use the wheel to undo it

The tools used to be cheap and Hlfords used to sell them

There is another tool like a chain and handle to get it tight on after but it tightens with pedaling just be careful for the first steep hills as ther will be some slip if the tool is not used perhaps

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Yes but I think the tool fits inside the hole and fits in the internal splines, I can't get in there with a screwdriver to smack it. I'm also not sure whether the outer locknut thing needs to move as well.

DON't take the outer lock thing off -all the bearings will fall out!

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DON't take the outer lock thing off -all the bearings will fall out!
Ahhh ok that's the advice I was after. I least I know not to mess with that bit then!

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I picked up a complete "park tools" tool roll a while back that has several special tools for removing cassettes. PM me your address Dave and I will post 'em down. One is bound to fit. You also need a "whip" (bit like a oil filter removal tool) to hold the cassette while it is undone.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up a complete "park tools" tool roll a while back that has several special tools for removing cassettes. PM me your address Dave and I will post 'em down. One is bound to fit. You also need a "whip" (bit like a oil filter removal tool) to hold the cassette while it is undone.
I've just seen the price of the Halfords one's which are only £7, they also do a whole bicycle maintenance set for £30 so I may well plump for that.
Time and again I seem to need to rip the bikes to bits after the kids have wrecked them and struggle with the tools, so it may be a good investment.
I'll PM you if I need to take you up on the offer.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
The "whip" thing is not needed to remove the cassette it is for tightening back on and also for removing individual sprockets

Ah all my cycling history is coming back now.

Make sure the tool is a very exact fit or it will shear - the tool usually goes if it's cheap but the sprocket splined can also crack

It's an easy job with the right tool

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
The park tools tool roll I got is an abcolute must for bicycle maintenance. There's about £200 of tools in it if bought separately. I saw it in the window of a bike shop in Lancaster reduced to about £75. I offered a cheeky £50 in cash which they accepted.:D I have completely rebuild several bikes with it and only ever defeated by one bottom bracket. I like the cable cutters best - you cannot do bike cables properly without one.

I would have thought postage for 2or 3 of the tools would £7 anyway so get the halfords jobby.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi chap , i have this item in my garage ( didnt nick it !) im only in bridgy
so if you need it come and get it or i can meet you.:p

or bring the wheel and we will do it here,no probs.

cheers. boo. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi chap , i have this item in my garage ( didnt nick it !) im only in bridgy
so if you need it come and get it or i can meet you.:p

or bring the wheel and we will do it here,no probs.

cheers. boo. :thumbup:
Ok thanks Boo.
I think I'll buy the kit anyway as it will come in useful. If that doesn't work out then I will pop down on the bike and see you.
Thanks mate.
Cheers
Dave

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
As you say, it all comes flooding back. If it's just a couple of knackered cogs, use the chain whips to take the cogs off and just replace those that need replacing (the cassette bearings last for ages).

If more than three or four are gone, change the whole assembly with the special tool. Keep the old cassette for spares (see above).

A couple of weekends ago I spent a happy Sunday dismantling an old bike and re-assembling some of the bits onto a frame I'd been given. Every time I said to myself "looks like I need a special tool for that", I found the special tool in my toolbox! Ah, the joys of a misspent youth.

(Mind you, not much call for 1" headset spanners nowadays.)

·
I can ride all day.
362 Posts
You need a shimano freewheel removing tool, around £8.00 to buy, or most shops will charge a £5.00 to remove it.
No chain wipe needed, tightens when you pedal.
Do not undo the ring with two tabs on, or your need a new freewheel at around £20
You should of looked at the hub first before buying a axle, chances are the bearing race inside the hub will be shot to, which will end up with a new wheel at £25.00
Hope this helps
:thumbright:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You need a shimano freewheel removing tool, around £8.00 to buy, or most shops will charge a £5.00 to remove it.
No chain wipe needed, tightens when you pedal.
Do not undo the ring with two tabs on, or your need a new freewheel at around £20
You should of looked at the hub first before buying a axle, chances are the bearing race inside the hub will be shot to, which will end up with a new wheel at £25.00
Hope this helps
:thumbright:
Well I've bought the Halfords tool set.
The cassette removal tool is very slightly too big! By about .5mm I reckon. Arrggghhhhh! It has the same number of splines, 12. Anyway I decided to get the file out and I have edged the tool to make it fit... with a bit of hammering. :D
But I still can't get the damn thing out and I'm putting a huge amount of force on it. I take it it's not reverse thread or anything like that??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I've bought the Halfords tool set.
The cassette removal tool is very slightly too big! By about .5mm I reckon. Arrggghhhhh! It has the same number of splines, 12. Anyway I decided to get the file out and I have edged the tool to make it fit... with a bit of hammering. :D
But I still can't get the damn thing out and I'm putting a huge amount of force on it. I take it it's not reverse thread or anything like that??
have you pushed the locking tabs back ? if not king kong wont get them off !!
if you are stuck pop it down and ill do it here for you. :thumbup:

cheers Boo

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Are you using the wheel as the lever that is -is the tool in a vice with wheel on top? Not sure about the tabs mentioned - I never had a cassette with them but it may be so.

You should then turn the wheel anti cock wise to undo - it's a normal thread but if there hs been som heavy pedalling then it will be tight. Also if you have jammed the tool in it may have the effect of tightening the threads and so making more difficult to loosen - they are delicate threads.

Think about it the torque needed to loosen must be similar to the torque applied by the cyclist standing on the pedals climbing a 1 in 3 hill etc - tight!

Failing all soak it in WD40 overnight but you may have to rebuild the bearings and regrease.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts