Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Awesome! So looking forward to this. The XT-644 Army Special tyres arrived the other day. They look the business even off the bike!

Do you think it's worth changing from 40 tooth rear sprocket? Or is the rally mainly open roads/sections? It's got enough torque to use off road, I was just thinking of slow speed control.

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Glad the tyres look good, I may have to try some!

I normally try to down gear the bike if I can, mainly to ease going down steep hills! I usually drop 1 tooth on the front and add 1 on the back, keeps same chain size.

The Keilder seems to offer no massively technical sections, so standard gearing should be OK.

There are still spaces at the Brechfa on the 10th if you fancy....

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Those army-special tyres seem quite good! Feel crap on the road, and give me a wobble above 75, but in muudy looseness and slippy fireroads they felt really good!
Slippy, bumpy up hill sections were fantastic fun, and playing on the little Alp was fab! :p

Still probably needs gearing down, for going down hills mainly, other wise a faultless ish Alp performance!

(Report to follow...)

:blob2: Roll on Pikes Peak!!

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nice one mudwiz - gulp, it's getting close! Bit nervous, mostly excited. Booking a trailer today, then need to get the sump guard back on, tyres fitted, and do some practicing!

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
I thought you had a van and trailer? I've got a single trailer on hire but might be able to swap for a double?
I've a car and triple trailer, but at this time of year it's great to ride to the rallies too. I'm also planning to ride to the Ryedale in July.
SOOOOOOOOOOOO lookinf forward to it!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I've a car and triple trailer, but at this time of year it's great to ride to the rallies too. I'm also planning to ride to the Ryedale in July.
SOOOOOOOOOOOO lookinf forward to it!
You riding there on knobblies? They'll be slicks by the time you get there! :D I'm impressed, 10/10 for dedication mate, my only worry in my case is crashing to the extent I couldn't ride it back. As it's my first ever event like this it will be handy to have the van there to use as a base and fill full of 'essentials'

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
It'll be fine!

Essentials - petrol! I've 2 20l plastic bottles for Africa, just a question of how can I fill them up here in the UK, and a couple of 5l cans for the fuel truck...

Numbers should be out tonight, front ones supplied, side numbers required! I've sets of Tesco wheeliebin numbers to do that job, as I'll have no chance of getting any before the event!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts