Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any part in the big bike rally challenge? I have just put myself down for the rally class entry at the cambrian rally on my transalp, anybody have any experience?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
I did the Cambrian Rally twice in it's first few years.

At the time most of it was gravel forestry tracks with a few snotty bits, nothing that a Transalp wouldn't get through with a bit of determination. It's easy to forget that you aren't actually racing for large chunks of the rally and that you may be sharing some of the tracks with pedestrians or non rally vehicles. My advice would be to take your time on some of the faster sections so the corners don't have you panic braking, especially on a heavier bike. The course had single/double arrows on all corners which let you know how severe a turn is, pay attention to them!!

You will be sharing the rally with some very quick riders so be prepared for getting out of their way, if I did it again I'd leave at least one mirror fitted as with the winding tracks it's easy to think a bike is behind you when it's actually two miles behind you, but just the other side of some pine trees. The late great John Deacon was in the two rallies I did, but I don't think I gave him much of a run for his money.

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Excellent!

The Alp is never going to really challenge for any places, but on the Cambrian it will get round sweetly.

What've you done to it to make it ready? There are a few sensible changes to make, although I didn't do them before the D2D, and survived. I'm hoping to be there too, although I'm not playing in the Rally Challenge this year. :blob3:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well most important mod i've made to make it rally ready is putting on some dakar stickers........! Well i'm putting on shinko 244 front and back. Ground clearance is my only real issue, i'm doing an xr fork conversion, but i don't think it'll be done by then, so i'm putting on a metal xrv sump guard. High mudguard although doesn't look to be that muddy. Non relevant it has a new exhaust which sounds teriffic! This will be my first time on a big bike but the old transalp is a great transition bike as it pretty much handles like a little bike, not too big or wide. What are you riding mate?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No i really want to get down there but i made a promise to the missus to take her to the motocross that weekend, what a novice making promises....... I have a mudguard going spare though it would need some trimming it's a bit long. You have any pictures of your bike?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts