Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great day out yesterday with Dick Dasterdly and CraigRevo. Ive put some photos and videos on ABR.

BIG Bike Trails Mid Wales Part 2

Took in some great trails, including the Strata Florida both directions, a bit of the Monks Trod (couldnt resist...NO TRO signs...but we only did 200 meters before I got stuck!!!). Loads of deep water crossings eg over the knees whilst standing on the pegs. Thats over waist deep!! Amazing what the bikes will do.

Managed to drop my bike in a river. Luckily it was only a foot deep where it went down.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Nice one Mike, Its a difference what a weeks worth of rain does in mid Wales. I always watch the weather a fortnight before doing strata :toothy10::toothy10:. If your coming on the Kids weekend I can show you on the map how to bypass the Deep bike eating bog on Monks.

I have been looking at making a snorkel for my Little tank for such roads as Strata.

Good advice about dry kit after doing strata, or any long trails. Vader wondered why I made him take extra clothes for Me and him, The Berstard used his and my dry stuff, and I had to man up and ride 95 miles home slightly chilled.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Mike, Its a difference what a weeks worth of rain does in mid Wales. I always watch the weather a fortnight before doing strata :toothy10::toothy10:. If your coming on the Kids weekend I can show you on the map how to bypass the Deep bike eating bog on Monks.
The Strata wasnt really a problem on the KTM (still the mind boggles to how challenging it is on a GSA!!!! with road tyres). The water was still low (Ive seen YouTube footage of it flowing so I know we had it easy....just had a look at your photos and the level was about the same). Last time I did the Strata it was all the DEEP puddles that were challenging. But the authorities have now dug drainage channels to reduce the depth due to the Enduro rally next week.

BUT, the other byway at the end of the Dam. How you and vader rode through them puddles on your bikes Ive no idea. You must be mad. I had water up my screen and a huge bow wave infront and just got bounced from rut to rut.

Yep, Id like to know the secret route to the Trod. We entered from the Dam side (where the No cars sign is). 100 meters up the deep water channel started that I managed to get through (bog either side that I got stuck in on the return journey). I travelled another 100 meters to the next water channel and decided as I was on my own (the other 2 were waiting before the first puddle) Id best not risk it.

See you at the kids meet - off camping with the eldest later today after work, she is sooooooo excited. First camping trip on the bike with Daddy.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
... Vader wondered why I made him take extra clothes for Me and him, The Berstard used his and my dry stuff, and I had to man up and ride 95 miles home slightly chilled.
So Vader took extra clothes and wore them on the way back, and you didn't. And somehow this was his fault? :-D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
So Vader took extra clothes and wore them on the way back, and you didn't. And somehow this was his fault? :-D
You tell him;)
well actually he took the dry clothes not me but he did not need them anyway as Yeti's dont feel the cold:toothy10:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mike, I think you must be a Rain God. I'm going to bring a wetsuit for the next outing, as it seems bog snorkelling is your true calling.

Glad you had a good trip, looking forward to trying that route. Might need to rig a snorkel on the xl, its airbox is way lower than the AT's. Or take the AT.

Tim.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you had a good trip, looking forward to trying that route. Might need to rig a snorkel on the xl, its airbox is way lower than the AT's. Or take the AT.

Hello Tim, I'll arrange another trip down that way in a couple of months, will get the Stella out of the way first before planning. Will give you plenty of notice. But, yep, Id rig a snorkel. Some of the puddles are deep and that river on the SF can get wild. Ive seen youtube footage that not even Id try!!!.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Hi Mike,
Nice report, & pic !
Didn't you post a similar type pic of your AT in similar conditions some time ago ?
Either way you have a smile on your face

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice pic Mike. I see your KTM has taken over as your pride and joy: 'In at the deep end'?
It had....and I had taken photos ready to post up a For Sale ad this evening. Now checkout the KTM forum. Damn un-reliable KTM's. Verdict still out.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't you post a similar type pic of your AT in similar conditions some time ago ?
Yep. I really want a job as a bike tester. Id be an asset to any bike company. If it lasts with me then its a good bike. After a few teething problems (battery and fuel pmp) the @ has been reliable (not counting punctures and consumables). First problem with the KTM that Im not happy about. Esspecially after all the abuse it got last Friday, I thought it was a great bike. Still do, just hope the problem I have now is something easy to fix / remidy.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts

I have been looking at making a snorkel for my Little tank for such roads as Strata.

Good advice about dry kit after doing strata, or any long trails. Vader wondered why I made him take extra clothes for Me and him, The Berstard used his and my dry stuff, and I had to man up and ride 95 miles home slightly chilled.
But nothing will ever equal the cold felt on the XRs all the way home at 50 mph with DaveS suffering pre pnuemonia after breaking the ice on Strata:D

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But nothing will ever equal the cold felt on the XRs all the way home at 50 mph with DaveS suffering pre pnuemonia after breaking the ice on Strata:D
J sent me the link to those photos. I was amazed to see the "ice breaker" walking through 2 inch thick ice. Nutters! I was cold just looking at the photos.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
The ice breaking bit was fun!! It was the 70+ miles home in -6/7 soaked through that turned out to be a bummer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts