Honda XRV Forum banner

Big Fat Cheque Presentation - suggestions

12K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  z-weiser 
#1 ·
I was just thinking it would be nice to put a full stop to the First XRV Longest Day Charity Ride 2008 in some way.

What I was thinking was something along the lines of, say, in 3 months time when all the cash is in, we organise a get together at Rykas with all those involved, and have, say, Debs, present a ''cheque'' to a rep from MacMillan.

We could get some local press coverage etc.

It would help draw a line under this years event, publically recognise the effort and contribution of all involved, and give us some Kudos for our fund raising efforts next year with sponsors.

What do you guys think??

ps - obviously all riders would be there with their bikes in the pics, so hondas to the front, BMW's and KTM's to the back. Obviously. :D:D:D

#6 ·
Yup - Raymo certainly doesn't hang around on it ........:D :D

#7 ·
Yup - Good Idea

#11 ·
There's a cafe in Windermere that claims to be half way between JOG and LE.
Alternatively, and it fits with the timing. Let's get someone from MacMillan to the National and do it there or even at LE.

#19 ·
I've just spoken to Calvin Lovelock at the Devon Office.

He's going to get back to me but the National Meet is in the middle of their ''world's biggest coffee morning'' fundraising event.

He suggested we could organise a ''coffee morning'' at the national, to top up the coffers, they could have a rep there to say a few words and accept the cheque from us, and some local press for publicity to drum up some more interest in their fundraising efforts.

Sounds good ??????????

#22 ·
I was going to suggest we get the Land's End hotel to host a Macmillan coffee morning but as I have never met such a miserable, unhelpful bunch of hoteliers in my life, I doubt we'd get anywhere even if we asked.

#28 ·
Yup, I couldn't agree more.

The "organisation" at The Lands End Hotel was diabolical.

We've had those rooms booked for over 3 months, they knew who we were, what we were doing, where we were coming from and roughly when we'd arrive. They couldn't really have made us feel less welcome if they'd tried. It's not even like they were full or busy.

To not offer any suitable food was an absolute disgrace. They asked me when I arrived what we were going to do about dinner, and did I want to book everyone in. I said that as we were going to be arriving in dribs and drabs we'd probably just sort ourselves out with bar food as and when we were ready. "Oh we stopped doing bar food at 4pm" says the guy loitering near reception, "we're just doing the 3 course a la carte at £25 per head now".

When I suggested they could maybe organise some bar food, the chef appeared and said he didn't have any food in that he could do as bar food. For that read "I cant be arsed".

Sure, they probably get "end to enders" like ourselves through the door every day....but for fcuks sake make SOME effort to make your paying guests feel even a little bit welcome.

I may have been a little short with Tubbs behind the reception desk (League of Gentlemen anyone?!) when on our return from the pub around 11.30 she was in a flap about people who hadn't checked in and the fact that she was going to have to lock the door at 12. I pointed out to her in no incertain terms that not one of us had been told that there was a "curfew" in place, that we were all paying guests, that someone might just have to stay up and that we were all out there in the pub spending money behind the bar there because they were too lazy to offer us any food or hospitality where we'd payed to stay!

Then the barman was getting snotty cos he was still having to man the bar at the unearthly hour of 11.30.....all in all, a big pile of crap.

There was no hot water when I arrived either. After 13 hours head-down riding in pouring rain, fog and freezing cold all I wanted was a quick hot shower and a beer. I abandoned the idea of a shower after at least 5 minutes waiting for the water to come through. I reported the defect to Tubbs at front desk and said "You have to let it run you know". I responded with "well there's a limit to how long I'm prepared to stand naked next to a cold running shower". She had no response to this. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah and the breakfast was crap too.

Not really a glowing report.

#32 ·
Yup, I couldn't agree more.

The "organisation" at The Lands End Hotel was diabolical.

We've had those rooms booked for over 3 months, they knew who we were, what we were doing, where we were coming from and roughly when we'd arrive. They couldn't really have made us feel less welcome if they'd tried. It's not even like they were full or busy.

To not offer any suitable food was an absolute disgrace. They asked me when I arrived what we were going to do about dinner, and did I want to book everyone in. I said that as we were going to be arriving in dribs and drabs we'd probably just sort ourselves out with bar food as and when we were ready. "Oh we stopped doing bar food at 4pm" says the guy loitering near reception, "we're just doing the 3 course a la carte at £25 per head now".

When I suggested they could maybe organise some bar food, the chef appeared and said he didn't have any food in that he could do as bar food. For that read "I cant be arsed".

Sure, they probably get "end to enders" like ourselves through the door every day....but for fcuks sake make SOME effort to make your paying guests feel even a little bit welcome.

I may have been a little short with Tubbs behind the reception desk (League of Gentlemen anyone?!) when on our return from the pub around 11.30 she was in a flap about people who hadn't checked in and the fact that she was going to have to lock the door at 12. I pointed out to her in no incertain terms that not one of us had been told that there was a "curfew" in place, that we were all paying guests, that someone might just have to stay up and that we were all out there in the pub spending money behind the bar there because they were too lazy to offer us any food or hospitality where we'd payed to stay!

Then the barman was getting snotty cos he was still having to man the bar at the unearthly hour of 11.30.....all in all, a big pile of crap.

There was no hot water when I arrived either. After 13 hours head-down riding in pouring rain, fog and freezing cold all I wanted was a quick hot shower and a beer. I abandoned the idea of a shower after at least 5 minutes waiting for the water to come through. I reported the defect to Tubbs at front desk and said "You have to let it run you know". I responded with "well there's a limit to how long I'm prepared to stand naked next to a cold running shower". She had no response to this. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah and the breakfast was crap too.

Not really a glowing report.
I TOOK GREAT DELIGHT IN BLOCKING UP THE LOO BEFORE I LEFT ..THAT'LL TEACH THE BUNCH OF OBNOXOUS TOSSERS :thumbup::thumbup:

I'll be putting my comments on this crap hotel on the tripadvisor site. May I suggest you all do the same?

That said it was an ace trip with ace company..what more could anyone ask for (pse don't mention food, hot water etc) :p:p

#30 ·
First off i think that John O Groats could have made a much bigger effort with their pathetic excuse of a breakfast pack disgust an unripe orange, juice, an uncooked roll and a couple of biscuits ! Considering we had practically taken over the entire hotel :sad:

As far as the lands End hotel was concerned it was blatantly obvious we were not welcome there. We took some photos of the pretty poor defects in our bathroom,never mind the sign (which we also have a photo of ) stating that during peak times hot water was unavailable :mumum:

The kitchen were not prepared to provide food for us, except those who arrived earlier and were offered a meal at £25 per head ! We paid for a taxi to the nearest local pub for food . On arrival back the hotel we descended to the bar were the bar man through a strop put on his coat and said that it was the end of his shift and that he was going home which he did, his attitude towards us was absolutely disgusting :knob: i think if he hadn't left when he did Phil W would have dragged him over the bar :thumbup: . By the way for those of you who thought LV's English had miraculously improved you were wrong !;)

Debs

#39 ·
First off i think that John O Groats could have made a much bigger effort with their pathetic excuse of a breakfast pack disgust an unripe orange, juice, an uncooked roll and a couple of biscuits ! Considering we had practically taken over the entire hotel :sad:

As far as the lands End hotel was concerned it was blatantly obvious we were not welcome there. We took some photos of the pretty poor defects in our bathroom,never mind the sign (which we also have a photo of ) stating that during peak times hot water was unavailable :mumum:

The kitchen were not prepared to provide food for us, except those who arrived earlier and were offered a meal at £25 per head ! We paid for a taxi to the nearest local pub for food . On arrival back the hotel we descended to the bar were the bar man through a strop put on his coat and said that it was the end of his shift and that he was going home which he did, his attitude towards us was absolutely disgusting :knob: i think if he hadn't left when he did Phil W would have dragged him over the bar :thumbup: . By the way for those of you who thought LV's English had miraculously improved you were wrong !;)

Debs
Yes I did want to, I hate knobs of the highest order, and he was right up there with the best .As for breakfast what a joke I got there at 9 to be served by some miserable foreign girl at 9.48 with raw sausage bread with oil poured on it and the rest was cold, oh the egg was runny so 10 out of 10 for that. As for seaview breaky well,I brought it home for posterity.

#38 ·
Well, The campsite up the road was ace!!

Nice cumfy ground, Sleeping bag was exactly the right size, The showers were free, With plenty of piping hot water, and really large private cubicles. even the bar was cheaper than the bar in the hotel. (I didn't drink at the campsite though, I wandered back down to the hotel and had to put up with Gerry Adam's stroppy ways.)

Had a Great weekend tho!

The cheque presentation sounds like an excellent idea,

LE gets my vote for that, we could be royal pain in the arses for the hotel staff then go up the road and stay on the campsite.
(and I'll bring the wife next time so she can see some of Cornwall)

MX5Ringer

#41 ·
i hear that some inconsiderate bugger woke you up in the middle of the night!!

thanks for your patience on the way home on sunday matey!

you could've got off and left me - i really appreciate it that you didn't!

thanks again

Z:iconbiggrin:

#44 ·
My hotel in the cairn gorms was stunning (free)
my hotel in the carpark of the real JOG hotel relaxing (3rd time free)
my (will send money to whoever pre-paid) bed at L/E perfect(free)
The girl who served me breakfast beutifull ( will star in my next movie)
SEE where i'm going with this. regards mel

#45 ·
My hotel in the cairn gorms was stunning (free)
my hotel in the carpark of the real JOG hotel relaxing (3rd time free)
my (will send money to whoever pre-paid) bed at L/E perfect(free)
The girl who served me breakfast beutifull ( will star in my next movie)
SEE where i'm going with this. regards mel

Sounds like a real ******* :mad:

My campsite was free, them cornish people need to wake up sooner :rolleyes::D
:D:D

#49 ·
The National would be good for a cheque presentation but would hamper any ride outs and may limit those who cannot make it for all 4 days but if it's not then somewhere in the middle of the country would better serve those from all over, preferrably west side to enable the lads from Ireland to get there if they want to come over.

I would prefer a separate event for this over a Friday night travel, Saturday presentation, travel home Sunday type thingy

#55 ·
YES YES !!! this was a cheque presentation thread once !!

I'm with Paul-S on this, I'm not going to the national meet , so will not be able to join in the cheque handover if it's done there.
Somewhere in the bowels of this thread there was a suggestion about doing a handover somewhere midway between JOG and LE (lakes??) I like the sound of this. I'd really not like to piss another £200 of fuel going to Devon/Corwall , just to present a cheque???. It also gives those who cannot do a whole weekend the chance to play a part.

So , lakes then ?? for cheque presentation :thumbright: Where and when - I'll be there.:toothy8:

OR is it a done deal and your gonna do it without Wee Jackie Boy there
:( SULK! :(

#52 ·
Was telling some of the guys at work about your ride and one of them said that you might be able to claim back the tax paid on fuel. Don't know if you can but might be worth looking into as a bit more money for charity and not the goverment is always good.

Once again well done to all who took part

Delboy

#54 ·
as some of you know i didn't make it in til quite late at lands end so i missed all the shenanigans with the hotel staff but i was in john o groats at a reasonable time and thought there handling of the situation was quite pathetic and i have to agree with you tom from what i saw the young girl left in charge of things clearly didn't have a clue and even though she turned that damn piece of paper over 55 thousand million times(well a few anyway)it didn't seem to help her i ended half a mile back from the pub which was a buggar to meet with everyone....but i had no idea the lands end place sounded worse still they didn't seem to be very professional at either end w~~kers...

#60 ·
'However I think the Lakes is the better option for the ease and higher attendance of those that want to catch up with folk they met or didn't.'

I'm up for that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.