Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What connectors do people use for accessory fuse boxes, so they can connect things like heated gear, GPS etc?

I am looking for some connectors that are smaller than the usual cigarette sockets, easy to connect and disconnect, and waterproof, or maybe have rubber caps you can put over them when they are not in use to stop crap getting in them and the wiring box.

I was thinking of some 1/4” (6.35mm) Plugs, but I cant seem to find any suitable sockets, either waterproof or with rubber covers. Anyone know where I can get these, or have any better suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I would stay away from audio connectors. They are just not designed for power. I use Tamiya (or Kyosho) connectors. You can get them in Maplins and suchlike but they are much cheaper on ebay. Buy them in sets to save money. I don't have a optimate but I believe they are the same connectors that they use. They are certainly the same as the ones on Oxford heated grips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Boris, I'd looked at those, but moved onto the idea of 1/4" / 6.35mm sockets and plugs because they looked very much easier to mount in a panel, simply a matter of drilling a whole and screwing them up ;).

I'd have thought the 6.35mm sockets and plugs would have been able to cope with the current; ~5A @ ~12V, anyone know differently?

Anyone got any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
What connectors do people use for accessory fuse boxes, so they can connect things like heated gear, GPS etc?

I am looking for some connectors that are smaller than the usual cigarette sockets, easy to connect and disconnect, and waterproof, or maybe have rubber caps you can put over them when they are not in use to stop crap getting in them and the wiring box.

I was thinking of some 1/4” (6.35mm) Plugs, but I cant seem to find any suitable sockets, either waterproof or with rubber covers. Anyone know where I can get these, or have any better suggestions?
Some googling I came up with.

Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts.

Motorcycle/Marine Waterproof 12 Volt Accessory socket on eBay (end time 25-Mar-10 23:41:52 GMT)

Motorcycle Electrical Mini - Connectors (2.8mm) - 2 way on eBay (end time 06-Mar-10 18:47:27 GMT)

12V Waterproof Motorcycle Accessory Socket on eBid.net United Kingdom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GSPD750 I was trying to get some flush mount fittings, while avoiding the big fat cigarette style fittings.

I have opted for Boris' suggestion of the Tamiya type connectors, less than ideal from the point of view of mounting, but lots of gear seems to use them.

·
Carpe Diem
28 Posts
nb1

any chance of letting me know if you source any ? I am after the same thing to plug my top box brake light into

thanks

·
Carpe Diem
28 Posts
Hold fire on that

Just found what I need on E bay

2 WAY 1.5mm SERIES AMP SUPERSEAL WATERPROOF CONNECTOR

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
nb1

any chance of letting me know if you source any ? I am after the same thing to plug my top box brake light into

thanks
same here
Hold fire on that

heres a link to it
2 WAY 1.5mm SERIES AMP SUPERSEAL WATERPROOF CONNECTOR on eBay (end time 09-Mar-10 20:56:15 GMT)

looks good but does it stay waterproof when disconnected, thats the problem, when the topbox isnt on?
with the topbox on it would be easy to use any connector, the box would sheild it from the weather and connected tamiya connectors are virtually watertight anyway.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
thread hijack.......

I am rubbish at electrics and always get it wrong about 3 times before it goes right and its usaully a horrible mess by then.

I have 3 different elecrical devices attached to my bike, each wired direct to the battery, each of which could really be switched to the ignition.

What do I need to do and buy to create a sort of junction box with a switched live that I can attached these items to?

What I thought was (and I have thought about this for ages):
cut into a live wire that is switched with the ignition, attached a 1 to 2 connector to it and send one wire to a relay, and the other to the original item.

The relay will pick up a live feed direct from the battery and be earthed (I think the relay needs to be earthed, doesn't it?).

The live switched feed from the relay will then go to some sort of junction box that can take say up to 4 devices by simply bolting on their pre-attached ring connectors as if they were being bolted to the battery.

The junction box will have a common earth for everything attached to it.

This will live under the seat/tail piece/side panel somewhere. ALthough it could also live in the fairing, but I would want quick and easy access

Does such a junction box exist? If not does one exist that can take those 2-way connectors like found on Optimate's and similar (what are those connectors called?). Is my wiring plan OK.

Like I said, I am rubish at this.

I had a look on the Vehicle Wiring Products website and didn't see anything like it, but they did have some junction boxes.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
you need one of these from vehiclewiringproducts
fuse/relay block - Honda Trail Bike Forums

wired direct to the battery with its own in line fuse and switched from the headlight relay switching feed, (which is easiest as its right there in the bottom of the main fuse box), the instrument light feed, or tail light. have a look in the wiki to see how to wire from the fuse box http://www.xrv.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Fitting_heated_grips

this will give you three seperately fused accessory points without having loads of wires coming off the battery. ive got the horn, heated grips and front accessory socket on mine, and still got a spare.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
you need one of these from vehiclewiringproducts
fuse/relay block - Honda Trail Bike Forums

wired direct to the battery with its own in line fuse and switched from the headlight relay switching feed, (which is easiest as its right there in the bottom of the main fuse box), the instrument light feed, or tail light. have a look in the wiki to see how to wire from the fuse box Fitting heated grips - Honda Trail Bike Wiki

this will give you three seperately fused accessory points without having loads of wires coming off the battery. ive got the horn, heated grips and front accessory socket on mine, and still got a spare.
excellent:thumbright: Thank you.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
nb1

thanks
Hold fire on that

this would be perfect but im not paying £35!
MagCode Power System Waterproof 240v AC Mains to 12v DC on eBay (end time 11-Mar-10 11:53:15 GMT)

how about this? optimate stuff uses cheap tamiya type connectors and this with the waterproof cap over it could go on the bike and a plain one on the topbox. they would be plenty waterproof connected up, disconnected it wouldnt matter the topbox would be in the garage
OPTIMATE Accumate 12V Waterproof Charger Connector Lead on eBay (end time 03-Apr-10 11:27:11 BST)
you could probably get the connector from maplins

·
Registered
485 Posts
They should be fine.I have had my heated vest wired up using the Optimate/Tamiya type connectors for years,never had a problem.

how about this? optimate stuff uses cheap tamiya type connectors and this with the waterproof cap over it could go on the bike and a plain one on the topbox. they would be plenty waterproof connected up, disconnected it wouldnt matter the topbox would be in the garage
OPTIMATE Accumate 12V Waterproof Charger Connector Lead on eBay (end time 03-Apr-10 11:27:11 BST)
you could probably get the connector from maplins

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
bought one of these now, just got to splice it into the brake light wires.

its gonna take some thought where to put it though, i want the connection to be out of the way of sight and weather but easy to connect/disconnect. i think it will tuck in out of the way in one of the recesses in the topbox plate, but i will have to see.
also it involves drilling two 10mm holes in the topbox, which ive got to pluck up courage for.........

·
Registered
256 Posts
I picked up one of these from BMS, in the car electricals section, for a couple of quid, and am going to be fitting it to my Alp. As you can see it has 6 fuse spaces so will give plenty of outlets, and i'm going to attatch the main feed to one side with a 6 way split, and then my accessories to the other side of the box. It doesn't appear to be 100% waterproof, but near enough if put in the right place on the bike. At least then it should eliminate the jumble of wires under my seat, and the numerous separate fuse holders I have under my seat.
This will effectively be a second fuse box for the bike.

Titch:thumbup:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
good find titch

if you put it under the seat with the other electric gubbins it'll be fine, none of that's waterproof either

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
hmm, wired up my LED array into the brake light wires and it all works except they are really dim. theres a problem somewhere with the ammount of juice available, but i can say the optimate waterproof connector works fine. thank god i just slave wired it up to see if it worked before drilling anything permanent

1 - 19 of 19 Posts