Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated above my 89 dominator engined special has gone unused for about 1.5 years apart from starting it about 6 months ago.
Today I dragged it out and after charging the battery tried to start in.i could hear the relay click in but the starter did not spin.Thinking the battery was suspect I removed it and jumped the car battery but I reversed the polarity.
I realised this and corrected it but had already pushed the starter button.
At this point nothing,on checking I found the 30 amp fuse on the starter relay blown I then changed it and still the starter didnt spin but relay clicked, any way after removing the starter gear cover and manually spinning the stuck starter all was ok

However now the bike wont tick over spitting back and dying with a clunk from the decompressor and dies when I try to pull away ,if I rev the motor off load it bangs in the exhaust.
Is this likely to be a blocked carb or have i fried something by reversing the battery.I havent yet changed the fuel I plan to do that tomorrow and fit a new spark plug

·
Registered
527 Posts
If it's been stood that long I would suspect the carb with the choke getting round blocked jets but when you pull away the needle and main jet don't work properly

Carb clean time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: paulfg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks John
went and bought some carb cleaner ready to strip and clean it.removed the tank and found a nest on top of the carb removed said nest and found the vacuum pipe from the accelerator pump to manifold had a big hole in it,cut back pipe now running as before layup.A little rough tick over sometimes spitting back and stalling if set too low but it doesnt have the original air filter so may need rejetting richer
bloody rats

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to change your oil and filter while you are at it just to be on the safe side...There could be moisture in your oil.:thumbup:
yep
the oil was changed pre layup but we had a very cold winter last year ,down to -10c so good advice
thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one other question is the pilot mixture screw air or fuel flow on the Cv carb
.i thought it is air ie IN for richer mixture but now I am not sure

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke too soon when i came to raod test the bike it would not accelerate and was missfiring as the revs rose,applying choke helped, so I stripped the carb and found the part described as jet holder needle jet which has a series of holes in it was blocked.
I cleaned and blew out the carb with carb cleaner and tested today it ran much better.
But I have a question for the carb gurus
I found that the needle has a bend in it so have ordered a rebuild kit for the carb,included is the part shown in the microfische as the needle jet (as sort of brass sleeve shaped thing),my question is how do you remove it?
I assume after removing the needle jet holder that the jet is just a push fit into the carb body but dont want to mess up the body removing the old one.
Also if the bent needle has caused the needle jet to wear could this be a cause of my tickover sometimes stalling no matter how I try to adjust the pilot mixture screw?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The sleeve for the needle just drops into the hole from the float side and is held in by the main jet holder that screws in.

I’m no expert but I would expect any bit that is knackered would effect the running of the engine. Even with the throttle closed that needed flys up and down like a mad man on the slider.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sleeve for the needle just drops into the hole from the float side and is held in by the main jet holder that screws in.

I’m no expert but I would expect any bit that is knackered would effect the running of the engine. Even with the throttle closed that needed flys up and down like a mad man on the slider.
thanks Ian ,so I should be able to push the sleeve out with something soft if it is stuck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
thanks Ian ,so I should be able to push the sleeve out with something soft if it is stuck.
Yes, either through the carbs main flow chamber or from the top when the slide and needle are removed.

Once the jet holder is unscrewed it will just pop out.

:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts