Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 600TA doesn't have a clock, so I've been using an old analogue wristwatch lashed onto the handlebars. This is fine except at night.

In winter when I ride to work I want to have something that is visible all the time in the dark, without me having to press an illumination button, etc.

So what are the options ?

I've seen the Oxford Bike Clock - which I presume has to be prodded to light up.

I looked at the vapor bike computer, which for £75 is permanently backlit, and does time/distance/rpm/temperature...blahblahblah. Trouble is I just don't want another lump of high-tech on my bike to attract thieves. I've already got a wired PDA & bluetooth gps hanging on the bars.

My preferred option so far is a Tritium watch, which for about £60 can be read in pitch darkness and can be quickly removed.

Anybody got a better idea ?

TIA,
VSH

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Or you could make your PDA display the time.

... or the GPS.

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, you've got me thinking...which is a rare occurance !

As it happens I take the PDA out of its waterproof mount when going to work in Central London (and the GPS is just a solar blue tooth mousey thing anyway). Good point though :thumbup:

I like the idea of the LEDs for illumination, as I already have a relay-switched battery feed, operated off the rear light. A couple of blue ones would be quite slick.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I bought a luminous clock from M&P. Unfortunately I bought the self-adhesive one, rather than the bolt on one. It was in France, at about 90mph on the motorway inthe soaring heat when it suddenly shook, wobbled twice and disappeared forever. M&P never responded to my complaint about the crap glue so now I never quite know what the time is again.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Don't fit a clock to a bike, it only makes you think you're going to be late for whatever you're going to, better to chill and go at whatever speed you feel like, then if you're late you can always use the excuse that you haven't got a clock on your bike :lol:

(makes me even more impatient, if that were at all possible :shock: )

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dilbert said:
if you're late you can always use the excuse that you haven't got a clock on your bike :lol:
(makes me even more impatient, if that were at all possible :shock: )
Wise words, but unfortunately being late is not an option - I've never been late for work (in this job)....I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that if I was I would be docked money, given a written warning and put on a monitoring plan. If it happened a second time I'd be given a final warning, and if it happened a third time I'd be sacked, and unable to work in the industry again. I saw this happen to a colleague of mine.

This is why I need to see the clock !!! It isn't so much that I'd ride like an idiot if I was late as I allow myself plenty of lateral, but if I'm delayed or diverted on the roads it's good to see that I'm still going to be alright.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
being late is not an option
Not until you start work eh? Then running late becomes compulsory.

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whealie said:
being late is not an option
Not until you start work eh? Then running late becomes compulsory.
Nice one Whealie - I knew someone would have to pick up on that :lol:

That's the irony really. If I'm 5 minutes late getting to work they make out like I crashed the Royal Train. Once I'm at work, If I'm delayed by 45 minutes they don't bat an eyelid. :roll:

Hey Ho, at least I'm not on piece work or I'd never earn anything, arf arf.

·
Professional Geek
393 Posts
I've always taken a trip to Argos, looked in the catalogue for the cheapest watch with the "light" button on the front rather than the side, like this one:

Then simply strapped that to the top yoke of whatever bike I've wanted to add a clock to. Works a treat, and usually only costs a tenner.

When you need the time in the dark, just push the button on the front. Easy...

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that suggestion.

As it happens I've arrived at my cheap & cheerful solution now. I've taken my existing watch and pinned it onto the keyring. Then I've clipped a £6 tritium 'light' dongley-thing onto the keyring.....it doesn't require batteries, doesn't need charging in daylight, doesn't have a button to press.........it just glows permanently. And an added bonus is that it doesn't stay on the bike to get knicked, and if I drop my keyring whilst walking in the dark from the car park to the depot I'll be alerted by the 'eerie glow'.

Snorted :thumbup:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
if i want to know the time i just look at the clock on the GS :mrgreen:

you left yourself wide open for whealies time gag shorty :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chad said:
you left yourself wide open for whealies time gag shorty :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yea, I sure did. But hey, am I bovvered ? 8)

And If I had a quid for every joke about time keeping, I'd be riding a solid gold GS :shock: :lol:

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Austin said:
what's one of these then and where can I get one from? SOunds like a good thing to me.
They come up regularly on eBay, there's one here at the moment..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190052539634

It's radioactive :shock: and glows for at least 10 years. Just like luminous, except that it doesn't need to be 'charged up' in daylight first.

Should be perfectly safe, but I won't try eating it or stuffing it down my trousers. :idea:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Von Short Hausen said:
Austin said:
what's one of these then and where can I get one from? SOunds like a good thing to me.
They come up regularly on eBay, there's one here at the moment..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190052539634

It's radioactive :shock: and glows for at least 10 years. Just like luminous, except that it doesn't need to be 'charged up' in daylight first.

Should be perfectly safe, but I won't try eating it or stuffing it down my trousers. :idea:
hmmmm, that looks like all the blokes in my family sorted for christmas then!!! :D :D

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Austin said:
hmmmm, that looks like all the blokes in my family sorted for christmas then!!! :D :D
Yea, they're quite entertaining - but not fantastically bright for illuminating other things. It shows up the watch OK when it's actually laid across it, but it doesn't actually 'throw' any light - I don't want you going out and buying 100, then taking out a contract on me cos they're sh+te. :shock:

They're quite fun to clip on ya jacket when you're walking around in the pitch dark. Yea, I know, I have to work hard to make my own entertainment ! :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts