Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Why does it seem to be never ending at the the moment always something needs doing. Had a problem with the XR dying on full lock to the left. Thought brake in cable around the headstock pulled all the loom out found one dodgy break in a cable so cut it and soldered it properly. Taped all the loom up again wired it all back up had same problem. Noticed decompressor cable dragging on the headstock spent 2 hours trying to re-route the cable to no joy eventually got short of ideas so sprayed the cable and the headstock with Mr. Sheen polish. That lubricated the cable and the frame job sorted and stopped the decompressor killing the bike on left lock.....Ran the bike up problem sorted :p:pthen found another problem somewhere along the line the horn's stopped working. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Metered it out and found cable broke in the lefthand switchgear so then had to cut all the cable insulation to get to the cores and found one broken cable so soldered and sleeved that up and now that's sorted :p:p

Took the Varadero down to mother's today to bring the Gasgas home as I need to change tyres on the XR and the Gasgas for a couple of upcoming events. Started the Gasgas up started riding it home and it won't steer to the left: headraces are gone. So now I have 4 tyres to change in the morning and head race bearings to get and fit and change oil and filters on the XR as that's now done 150miles since rebuild.

And a new front Comp 4 just cost me £58 and Pro-clean tyre lube £6... Prices are going up!!!!! and my patience going down..

And just forgot I have to MoT father's BMW this weekend

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Once you start there is no going back.
It is a never ending cycle just like decorating.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
If you've got a garage, I have no sympathy:D
Just received my service bits and carb rebuild kits for my , new to me, R65. Weather says awful for the weekend, but really itching to get the carbs off, stripped and cleaned, replace all fuel lines etc.
Although, as you say, I've just spent £80 on some gaskets, a couple of plugs, filter etc:rolleyes:
I thought about totting up, once, how much I spent on bikes; I decided to stop after a while, I got an 'E' on my calculator:rolleyes:

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you have to work outside without cover, what about a gazebo with sides in it. You can erect and take them down pretty quickly and you will be out of the elements. A lot of racers use them in the paddock.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
If you have to work outside without cover, what about a gazebo with sides in it.
Good idea, not sure how to fix it down. It not called Windmill Hill where I live for nothing:D

RodYork, as you say, washing your bike can uncover things. When I first got my ZZR, whilst doing the first wash, I discovered the rear hanger was just about hanging on!

I do hate finding bodge jobs though on some S/H bikes. I know we all bodge at times, but there are bodges and there are bodges

·
Registered
352 Posts
i've left my AT go lately with neglect on my behalf. not mechanically just not cleaning the ****e off through the winters etc.now i have a rusty bike and loats of work to do. powder coating frame etc. gutted my dream bike looks like a piece of crap at mo but its all my fault!

regular maintenance like yourself is the key, little money often.
rather than big money rarely!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well all in all i've had quite a constructive day on the Gasgas. Got up early got the headrace bearings out only the bottom one was knackered the top one looked like new. I did get it off in one peice and took it to 3 local bike dealers all of which said "£28 for the set can get it for monday" :(:(:(.

So went to a couple of bearing suppliers that we use at work they matched it and said £5 + vat get it for monday:(:( Good price but too long to wait so went to another supplier and they said we've only got top quality ones at the moment they're £8 and on the shelf :p:p:p so got home fitted the head races used enough ultra salt grease around both bearings and the frame to last the bikes lifetime.

Then fitted 2 brand new comp 4 enduro tyres went to put front wheel back in and noticed next to no brake pad on the front :(:( so went out and got a set of them and fitted them.

Repaired the speed sensor so at least when i use it on the road now i will know roughtly how fasy i'm going, replaced the crap flap on the bottom of the air box which protects the rear shock then tried to tidy up the graffix which are beaten and becoming unstuck.

Booked father's tractor (1150 gs) in for the mot and decided against changing tyres on xr as i would be using new comp tyres on th eroad before a comp so will leave them a week of 2...

And now it's P*****G down here and i have to drop the Gasgas to mothers and bring the Varadero home

1 - 9 of 9 Posts