Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use as a stand for working on the bike or just cleaning it? The type that is effectively a metal box look like they are a right pain to get the bike on them and not a one person job.

The ones that jack up using a lever on the side appear better although the lift looks limited for bikes with long suspension travel. I suspect they wouldn't be so good for removing the forks for example as it doesn't get the bike high enough.

Any comments before I go and buy one?

Cheers

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
I would just get a centre stand.. that way you can fix stuff that brakes away from home too. :)

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Sidestand and one car axlestand under the right hand side centrestand mount (just behind the down pipe joint). This puts the rear wheel in the air quickly and easily so it can be removed or spun for chain oiling.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
I bought one of these: http://buystands.co.uk/Buystands/Ultipro.html
(this is the same stand that used to be sold with NWS branding)

It's incredibly solid and looks very well made. I can get my Africa Twin onto it easily without any help, and I'm only average sized (that's averaged sized for a British bloke; not average amongst the 18st gorillas who seems to typify Africa Twin riders around here).

The normal stand isn't quite tall enough to get both wheels properly clear of the ground, but there's a taller version. I bought the normal one as I want to use it with road bikes too, and with the Africa Twin I just put a bit of 1" wooden board under the stand and it lifts it high enough. The bike is balanced quite well, the bike will sit on the front wheel but you can stick summat under the bash plate.

You do need special adaptor for an Africa Twin, as the stand has "spikes" that are designed to go into a hollow spindle or an allen key recess.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
BTW those special adaptors for the ulipro aren't listed on the web site. Simon made them up from photos and dimensions I emailed him. I assume he can now make them to order but if necessary I still have the photos and measurements...

·
2,701 Posts
What do you use as a stand for working on the bike or just cleaning it? The type that is effectively a metal box look like they are a right pain to get the bike on them and not a one person job.

The ones that jack up using a lever on the side appear better although the lift looks limited for bikes with long suspension travel. I suspect they wouldn't be so good for removing the forks for example as it doesn't get the bike high enough.

Any comments before I go and buy one?

Cheers
You don't say what bike it is :confused:
If it's an africa or a transalp I'd get a centre stand. (or use Yen's trick)
If it's an XR or similar the stand with the single lever action lift is the one I use. (I presume you don't mean the hydraulic ones)
If you are removing forks, the front wheel is normally removed first, which leaves plenty clearance.

G

·
I use front and rear paddock stands most of the time. The only time these aren't appropriate is when either the forks or the rear shock need to be worked on or removed, in which case I have a hydraulic lift like this:

It works OK with the 'bash plate' on the bike (my bash plate is a mess so I don't mind it getting scratched) but is more stable with it removed as then the lift can work directly on the frame rails. This kind of lift is a bit OTT for the TA IMO but I needed it for the Harley and since I've have it I've found no end of alternative uses for it ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have said that its an XR type bike with no option for a centre stand. The lifts appear to be the best option, manual or hydraulic. The tip about the car axle stand is useful though & one to remember.

Cheers guys.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
what bike do you have? those box things are only ok for motocrossers, everything else is too heavy!

my mate has a lift like Sproggy's, it works good on his harleys but not for bikes like my varadero or my last bike, a sports bike. you need a flat bottom, preferably a frame, not the sump!

i have a chain pulley on the garage ceiling, last owner replaced two joists with RSJs. this was put in to lift engines out of cars so handles bikes no problems. can lift a whole bike up to head height if i want, its fantastic if you have a dodgy back like me!! (and its amazing how far a sump plug will squirt from that height if your drain bucket gets knocked out of position):rolleyes:

G

·
my mate has a lift like Sproggy's, it works good on his harleys but not for bikes like my varadero or my last bike, a sports bike. you need a flat bottom, preferably a frame, not the sump!
In theory this is true but you can easily make a wooden 'adapter' to sit between the lift and the irregular underside of most bikes. Of course it isn't any good for fully-faired bikes unless you remove the lower fairings and/or belly pan.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
i made one with foot lever to lift the bike and it works perfectly, iwas easily able to remove forks to replace seal on my xr400. if you want photo's of how to do it send me an e-mail address and i'll send you photo's. Cost me at least £5 to make it

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

Cheers
If it's just to clean the back wheel and lube the chain I used to lean the bike up on the side stand and jam a lump hammer under the swing arm near the rear axle on the other side. Remarkably stable although I don't think I would be brave enough to remove the wheel with just this arrangement.

For wheel removal I now use a pair of paddock stands. So much more stable.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone interested in a bike lift. Someone told me that Makro (if you have one near you that have it on sale) have an offer on bike lifts at the moment at around £30 to £40 (forget the exact price). Not sure if they'll be good enough for the Africa Twin being such a big heavy bike, but might be worth having a look at the size/specs. They're the hydraulic type I think.

Sadly with my tax return due and other things I need to buy this month I'm probably not going to be able to get one myself, but if they still have one next month I was thinking I might have a look.

If you've got a makro near you and happen to be passing it might be worth a look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts