Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods: wasn't sure where to put this.

Hi,
Off on my holliers :cool: this week (ohhhh yeah), and Im gonna get the battery out. But whats the story with the fuel?

I read somewhere that there was a "treatment" you could get for it.
Ive heard of purifiers & treatments.

Do i put the stuff in and go for a spin or do i leave it in there?

Any ideas on what i should go for?

thanks

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Unleaded fuel has a shelf life of 3 months (i.e. remains volitile) I have two bikes and regually leave them standing for over a month at a time with no problems.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
excellent

thanks for that :thumbright:
I would just go for a ride.. so that there is "not that much" fuel left in the tank. So when you get back you bike does not have 3 week old stuff in it other then that i would not worry about doing anything about your fuel.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would just go for a ride.. so that there is "not that much" fuel left in the tank. So when you get back you bike does not have 3 week old stuff in it other then that i would not worry about doing anything about your fuel.
Now thats a precription!

well ok so.
Good idea

·
Registered
485 Posts
For three weeks I wouldn't bother about the fuel.If you had said six months then you could have put some fuel stabiliser in the tank if you wanted.You can buy it from mower shops,agricultural suppliers etc.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts

ahhh... now,.... you see,....

I would do just the opposite if i was leaving my bike for a while, especially over the winter period, I'd fill the tank brim full & leave it like that. The theory being that brim full prevents evaporation & more importantly prevents the forming of condensation in the tank which a) degrades the fuel & b) rusts the tank from the inside out.

I know a lot of people here who "winterise" their bikes that way every year. If it's just a one off, I wouldn't really worry about it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhh... now,.... you see,....

I would do just the opposite if i was leaving my bike for a while, especially over the winter period, I'd fill the tank brim full & leave it like that. The theory being that brim full prevents evaporation & more importantly prevents the forming of condensation in the tank which a) degrades the fuel & b) rusts the tank from the inside out.

I know a lot of people here who "winterise" their bikes that way every year. If it's just a one off, I wouldn't really worry about it.
That makes sence. Bleedin 'ell... Im after doin 90 miles tonight! But i get ya, its only 3 weeks.

It was great by the way. I rarely go for pleasure rides in winter, I leave it at the commute. But tonight was great, loads of grip and not too cold. We get days like that in the middle of a cold spell. So thanks for the prescription xander:thumbup:. Fell in love all over again.

G

·
I would do just the opposite if i was leaving my bike for a while, especially over the winter period, I'd fill the tank brim full & leave it like that.
There are two schools of thought about this for winter or other long-term storage. One is to do as you say - fill the tank as much to the brim as possible to prevent condensation BUT put fuel stabiliser in too. The other is to run the tank as empty as possible so that when you want to use the bike in the spring you can fill up with nearly a tankful of fresh fuel, diluting the stale fuel that's left in there. In this case fuel stabiliser isn't so important.

I think the latter option is better if you have dry storage (I mean really dry) and the first option is better if your garage can get a bit damp. Personally I run the fuel down to about a quarter and leave it like that for the 3 or 4 months the bike's off the road. When I want to put it back on the road I go and get a gallon of super unleaded, chuck it in the tank, start the bike up and ride to the petrol station. Brim the tank with super unleaded and add fuel injector cleaner (the bikes I tend to not use for the winter are injected) then go for a long ride to blow away the cobwebs. I've done this with both steel and aluminium tanks and never had a problem.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
I run the fuel down to about a quarter and leave it like that for the 3 or 4 months the bike's off the road. When I want to put it back on the road I go and get a gallon of super unleaded, chuck it in the tank, start the bike up and ride to the petrol station. Brim the tank with super unleaded and add fuel injector cleaner (the bikes I tend to not use for the winter are injected) then go for a long ride to blow away the cobwebs. I've done this with both steel and aluminium tanks and never had a problem.
I do this as well.. but i usually drain the old fuel and use it in my lawnmower..:p

Moon.. Remember this is only three weeks.. so i recon it makes little difference.. I was just given him an excuse to ride.... :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts