Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
God Botherer
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just returned from 4 days touring around France, my wife and I.

We purchased a pair of autocom systems at excel earlier this year so i could talk to her as she is a newby rider and needed confidence.

Autocom sold me a pair of midland g7 walkie talkies which are frankly pants!

The box says up to 2 miles range but that is cobblers, if i lost sight of her she could not hear me at all which completely misses the point 'cos if she can see me she don't need the radio as she knows where i am.

Anybody got any experience of this or had any better results?

Rob

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It may be the position you had them mounted. Most radios need a clean signal to and from the aerial.

·
God Botherer
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that 'cos they were originally under the seats but i moved them both to our tankbags and they were no better.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
One of my mates and I played with bike to bike a couple of years ago and it was not worth the bother. He had an all singing, all dancing Kenwood radio and I had a cheapish Alan one. The quality was the same from both radios and it seems that line of sight is as good as it gets with legal PMR sets. On the other hand.............if you are willing to risk prosecution there are more powerful sets out there! :D

Andy.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Kymmy would be best to answer about legal high powered radios

Might seem a bit daft but you have got them both on high power haven't you?
I have a set of Midland G7s, what's claimed on the box would never work in reality but I find them very good for up to a Km certainly further than you could shout.
I have mine in the handle bar brace bag, I bought the Midland cos Autocam sell them and I couldn't afford the Kenwood PMR

I managed to get a set of Kenwoods from fleabay but the seller failed to state they were MURS (link to gov site) make me an offer if you want them.:angel9:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
kymmy is really the one to ask about radios but i'm sure your supposed to try and have the aerials as vertical as possible for maximum transmission range..not having them laid on their sides in a tankbag/topbox.

according to a nerdy book on the subject i read the other day it said that the radio waves propogate away from the antennea like ripples in a pond and by turning the aerial 90 degrees on its side, the plane of transmission is altered and so much is sent into the ground, so much straight up in the air and the only in two directions on the horizontal plane

better to have the aierial pointing straight up then this ripple they spoke of would emanate in all directions away from the radio and have a far better chance of being picked up again by another reciever

i dont really know anything about radio's but that is what this book said:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts