Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'll be turning 18 this summer and have a holiday booked this August to Scotland with my Dad. I have recently bought an XRV members old bike (xl650v Transalp) I would love to tour the world when i'm older and like I know my Dad will be doing and I am hoping to do some smaller trips myself. The main objective, as ever, is money.

Could anyone advise roughly how much they have paid in the past for a trip, what accomidation they made use of etc?

Need to know how much to save...

Davie

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
How much? Depends how you do it......

Camping: cheap site about £5 a night. Posh site double or triple that. In Scotland wild camping is also a real possibility = £0.

Hostel/camp barn = £15 to £25 a night.

Food.... Self catering between 50p and £10 a day depending on how you do it, what you buy etc. Roadkill is free.:D

booze entertainment and stuff - up to you, either nil or loads o money.

petrol. Well probably 50 mpg x planned miles. A tank's worth a day is probably enough once you are north of glasgow.

What happened to going to France. That was your last big plan wasn't it;)

Other. Ferries if you need them, breadown insurance, bike prep before (or after). You will have added about 2000 miles so tyres, service, brakes come round faster.

I would allow somewhere between £30 and £50 a day including fuel. More if you are hotelling it or doing big mileage each day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes France was my first dream... my dad talked me into going somewhere closer to home as a first trip although France isn't that far lol. but any ways yes i don't mind camping rough or eating rough... I'm used to that from the canteen in work any ways thanks for the advice...

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Re: Bike trip at a young ageDfffgfm !? B b ? Cost?

I have got two sons 18 and 20 so I know how good you are at planning and getting organised at that age. Book you ferry across to Scotland NOW. then you are comitted, you will save up and you will go. Next start being nice to the Scottish XRV contingent who will have no end of advice on where to go, stay etc. I have been on 4 tours of Scotland by bike and think it is ace. You will love it. Oh and I also had a trip to northern Ireland and think that's brill too. Have a good trip

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
if youre in NI then france maybe quite a distance, scottish highlands would be a better starting point i think, especially if your camping with their right to roam or whatever law the lucky jocks have.

price wise it depends on a lot of things, how far, how long, where staying, etc.
a trip ive done a few times now and can generalize about as an example is a long weekend fri-tue or midweek mon-fri to france, riding around every day and camping in municipal sites.
ive always found costs usually pan out in order of highest first-
petrol
ferry
campsite
food

so you can see what you get up to has a big effect on cost. cheapest option is sitting round the campfire with your dad passing around a baguette, a sausage and a milkchurn of wine you just got out of the farmers pump for 15euros.

you can travel on £30 a day camping and cooking for yourself in france quite easily but obviously its nice to eat out and have a few bevvies and that. restaurant prices in france and spain have gone up a lot in the last few years but there are still fantastic roadside cafes like le routiers where you can fill your face for little money, then camp at night.
ferry prices go all over the place depending what time you sail, but all seem to cost more at the weekend. i took my 10yr old to the d-day beaches last year for 2 nights away and sightseeing and including the LD lines overnighter (no cabin) from portsmouth it cost me £300, which was a lot but we went to touristy places, crammed a weeks worth of french food into two days and stayed in a half decent hotel for the night.

but thats me, france is nearer than london to me so its easy. nobody looks at their own area, if i were you i'd explore south of the border and avoid ferries altogether to start with

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Bike trip at a young ageDfffgfm !? B b ? Cost?

I have got two sons 18 and 20 so I know how good you are at planning and getting organised at that age. Book you ferry across to Scotland NOW. then you are comitted, you will save up and you will go. Next start being nice to the Scottish XRV contingent who will have no end of advice on where to go, stay etc. I have been on 4 tours of Scotland by bike and think it is ace. You will love it. Oh and I also had a trip to northern Ireland and think that's brill too. Have a good trip
hahaha your right i'm kinda lost when it comes to planning lol aye thanks for the advice....

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Thanks for the advise dave some stuff there deffenitly worth considering....
no probs david, welcome to the fold, as they say, one trip away on the bike and you'll be hooked mate.

someone mentioned the youth hostel association, i forgot that. they are well worth a look if a tent is a bit too rustic for you, probably the next cheapest form of accomodation. they have quite a few places, ranging from empty barns to hillside shepherd huts to the traditional bunkhouses to individual rooms in decent hostels. you do have to join the YHA to use the facilities but its only £14 or was when i did it one year (at 40, so you dont have to be a yoof) their website explains all.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well based on my last 7 trips on various continents including 4 raids across Hadrians Wall I always end up spending about £800 a week, that includes the three F`S of Fuel food and ferries.

I have to say that Scotland works out less than that about £600 a week.

I camp and take my own food but do eat out some nights.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hi mate,

On my own trips to Europe I usually find two up touring we can usually have two weeks in Europe for under a grand, we camp, so much cheapness.
Touring Scotland, well I would head towards the west coast, Oban is a lovely town with good food and cheap campsites. From there I would head for Fort William, tourist trap but worth a look, then further northwest towards the coast again, Kyle of Lochalsh has some nice campsites and you could cross the bridge just to say you've been to Skye, although you really need to take one of Rickskye's tours to say you've really "done it!" Then up to Ullapool, good campsite and award winning chipshop for grub. From there take Geoff's favourite road up to Durness and across the north coast to John o Groats. Down to Inverness then you have the lovely A82 down Loch Ness side to take back to Fort William. From there back south to home.
Check the miles, plan your days rides and off you go! If you'd like to meet up with some likeminded folk just put up a post to say when you'll be in what area, I'm sure someone will be available!
Best of luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well based on my last 7 trips on various continents including 4 raids across Hadrians Wall I always end up spending about £800 a week, that includes the three F`S of Fuel food and ferries.

I have to say that Scotland works out less than that about £600 a week.

I camp and take my own food but do eat out some nights.

Thanks just what i was lookin for :) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts