Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press release from BMW:
BMW S 1000 RR takes on supercar in this Sunday’s episode of Top Gear on BBC 2
New series kicks off with a bike v car race, featuring BSB-EVO Champion Steve Brogan

A BMW S 1000 RR, the double championship-winning supersports bike, features in a high-octane superbike vs supercar race on this week’s episode of the hugely popular BBC Top Gear show.

Steve Brogan, the 2010 Mirror.co.uk BSB-EVO champion, will be racing the 999cc, 193bhp stock road bike around the legendary Top Gear test track. He’s up against a £150,000 Ariel Atom V8 – a 475bhp, 550kg supercar powered by two 1300cc motorcycle engines which have been bored out and turned into a V8.

Brogan, who dominated the BSB-EVO class on a race spec BMW, takes on the supercar which costs more then ten times as much as the stock BMW S 1000 RR.

In a neck-and-neck race around the famous circuit, viewers of Sunday night’s show will get to see whether the bike or car, at the hands of a mystery driver, crosses the finishing line first!

Anyone wanting to know the result will have to tune into the show on BBC2 on Sunday 23 January at 8pm.

Steve Brogan said: “I had a lot of fun filming with Top Gear. I had a few laps in a car then it was out on the stock S 1000 RR. We got some good weather when we filmed it in October and the track was nice and dry so I could push hard. I turned the traction control off as I wanted to use some wheelspin in the corners.

“The car was very quick – and had more than double the horsepower of the bike. But the power to weight ratio was in my favour, so it was a fair race. I rode hard, it was very close! You’ll have to watch to see who came out on top though.”

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Steve Brogan, the 2010 Mirror.co.uk BSB-EVO champion, will be racing the 999cc, 193bhp stock road bike around the legendary Top Gear test track. He***8217;s up against a £150,000 Ariel Atom V8 ***8211; a 475bhp, 550kg supercar powered by two 1300cc motorcycle engines which have been bored out and turned into a V8.
A £150,000 super-tuned car against a £13,000 stock bike??? :confused:
If they raced a £150,000 tuned BMW S1000RR against it, they could put a turbo on and put it up to 400hp+. I hate when they race stock bikes against tuned cars. :mad:

...still, I look forward to watching it. :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Press release from BMW:
BMW S 1000 RR takes on supercar in this Sunday’s episode of Top Gear on BBC 2
New series kicks off with a bike v car race, featuring BSB-EVO Champion Steve Brogan

A BMW S 1000 RR, the double championship-winning supersports bike, features in a high-octane superbike vs supercar race on this week’s episode of the hugely popular BBC Top Gear show.

Steve Brogan, the 2010 Mirror.co.uk BSB-EVO champion, will be racing the 999cc, 193bhp stock road bike around the legendary Top Gear test track. He’s up against a £150,000 Ariel Atom V8 – a 475bhp, 550kg supercar powered by two 1300cc motorcycle engines which have been bored out and turned into a V8.

Brogan, who dominated the BSB-EVO class on a race spec BMW, takes on the supercar which costs more then ten times as much as the stock BMW S 1000 RR.

In a neck-and-neck race around the famous circuit, viewers of Sunday night’s show will get to see whether the bike or car, at the hands of a mystery driver, crosses the finishing line first!

Anyone wanting to know the result will have to tune into the show on BBC2 on Sunday 23 January at 8pm.

Steve Brogan said: “I had a lot of fun filming with Top Gear. I had a few laps in a car then it was out on the stock S 1000 RR. We got some good weather when we filmed it in October and the track was nice and dry so I could push hard. I turned the traction control off as I wanted to use some wheelspin in the corners.

“The car was very quick – and had more than double the horsepower of the bike. But the power to weight ratio was in my favour, so it was a fair race. I rode hard, it was very close! You’ll have to watch to see who came out on top though.”
I reckon the bike won,the Atom is very fast but in the strait the bike acceleration will show.
I'd back the bike every time every time:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The last time they tried this the Atom won.
They are biased towards the car anyway, in a true car verse bike they should use London rush hour.
The across London challenge was won by a push bike.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i love the atom, even the standard model, i reckon it must appeal to every biker because even though its a 'car' in the broadest sense, its just plain bonkers. this V8 version is, well, :blob7::blob7::blob7::blob7:

so i dont mind if the car wins, like craig said the programme is mega biased toward 4 wheels, thanks to that clarkson spanner (though he got some browny points from me for the vietnam special, for riding the scooter. but i had to take them back again because he vowed he would never ever ride a 2 wheeler, so hes a liar as well as a twonker)

top gear has long ago gone away from cars we can all aspire to and afford, so im not surprised they choose a £150K to take on a £13K bike. if thats how much they had to had to spend to come close then it just shows up how much value bikes are, in the "bang for bucks" stakes. the atom is as impractical as the sports bike, so why spend so much for the same performance?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I would love to see them take on the Y2K bike in a drag race, what Would they choose?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts