Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks - not sure where to put this in the forum so admins feel free to move !

As some of you may know I'm involved with Mountain Rescue and the team's been asked to put on a first aid course for Southport Superbikes . Its the weekend of 15/16 April, basically arrive Friday, 1st Aid Saturday and ride out Sunday. Location is Dunsop Bridge in Bowland. Cost includes full board and bunkhouse accommodation is provided, and you'll get a HSE 1st aid certificate at the end of it. The whole thing is £125 - more details at Bike Based First Aid Weekend - ::. UKGSer.com .::

where Jim has posted the details. All bookings through him (01704 536192 and he's in parts) - should be a good do !

Cheers

Iain

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its "packaged" to include all of the costs for the building etc I'm afraid. May be the opportunity to run a 1 day bikers one in Garstang as well if the interest is there ?
If there's any spare slots once the bookings are taken I'll see if we can get some day places
Iain

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I went on this course - I took my 90,000 mile TA and even so I raised the standards of the bikes as it was 100% BMs all from Southport Superbikes otherwise.

More seriously though this was a super day's course and I am now properly qualified as an emergency first aider for the next three years.:D

The course covered all the basics - ABC - and all that and was literally hands on most of the time. As it was tailored specifically for bikers and one of the trainers was a biker there were loads of relevant examples and what-ifs specific to biking situations. But more than that the course extended to practice on bike specific situations - like the difficulties of feeling for injuries through bike clothing, removing a helmet and when to do it and this included going outside to simulate life like situations - casualties in helmets, bike gear, and lying awkwardly against fences and so on, incluing a multi casualty simulation. All great stuff a when you are on the spot very realistic.

The course took place in the Bowland Pennine Mountain rescue team's training centre in the Trough of Bowland. If you have been over the trough road you will know where this is - just south of the picnic area. It is a very spectacular remote setting in the hills with good facilties and the guys from Southport Superbikes staying over for the weekend in the camping barn that is part of the centre and all food and booze - well beer in kegs from Bowland Brewery, included. I think bed and full board was £70 for the weekend and looks like very good value to me.

XRV should hold a similar meet-up and training day, its well worth it. Me and Iain would be happy to organise if enough interest - we would need 10-12 definites and a max of 15.

Iain took some photos so hopefully he will post some up when he gets back later.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What's the chances of running a days course at the national?

We will all be there, camping or staying over and with similar kegs in store. I'd be up for it.

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
What's the chances of running a days course at the national?

We will all be there, camping or staying over and with similar kegs in store. I'd be up for it.
I was thinking the same, it's the one place where we'll have people from all over the country. I'd be up for it if it fits in

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts