Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say i had today one of these very rare days where i was really happy to push my bike into the garage and close the door with absolutly no desire to get on it again soon:(:(
It all started this morning,we decided to meet at Chad's to go to the Ace for the Adventure day.As we where leaving the rain started.I said to Deb i would take it easy as i had ice forming on my garage wall(Deb was going in the car to chad's as Jamie-lee was baby sitting the chatletts).
On the way to chad's there is a little S-bend section, as i aproached it(slow as i was a bit concerned about the road surface) i hit black ice:(.
For a change i managed to stay upright but the bike was going side ways front and rear.
When i managed to stop i was a mental wreck.First i tried to phone Deb to warn her about the Ice but no answer.Then tried to phone chad to try to warn chads mate Dean which i knew was also coming to Chad's,no answer.At no time did i think of running around the corner to stand there and warn deb:rolleyes:
Well Deb came sliding around the corner sideways about 3-4 min after me fortunatly without hitting anyone or anything
She went ahead to chads to try to warn the other bikers and i went there in 1st gear with my hazzards on.
After i got to chads we found out that Dean went down on the black ice with his bike but only with minor damage and no injury at all.Got up picked up his bike pushed it to the side only to be hit by a Ambulance which lost controll on the Ice:rolleyes:
Again he was lucky as the was no damage to him and the bike only took a glancing blow from the mirror of the ambulance.
When we eventually all arrived at chads i was saying i would take the car to the ace as it was to dangerous and i can not afford to damage my ride to work.
After 2 buckets of coffee and maybe 1 hour later the roads had cleared enough for us to go to the ace by bike.My confidence was shot to pieces at that stage and as you all know that is when you ride like a T#@t:rolleyes:
The ride to the ace was horrible as it absolutly chugged it down and i was seing Ice in every corner.It was good to see some familiar faces at the ace and meet some new ones(some of them with strange hair colours:rolleyes::toothy7::toothy7:)
On our way home i was nearly taken out by some idiot kid in a fiesta which obviously does not know what mirrors are for.I was in the fast lane doing 71mph:rolleyes: when he pulled into me and pushed me into the rumble strip thingy
Tell you,when i arrived home i was very happy to push my bike into the garage and close the door.
I know my riding will be worse then normal for a few days till i get my confidence back.

Now the question i have a nd i had a word with chad about it is this

Does Fear make us a better rider or worse??

I know i was worried when i was in germany and took it nice and easy and concentrated so much while riding that every evening i was absolutly [email protected] but i never dropped my bike.
Today i was worried about the rain(but did NOT think of black ice)and took it steady.Again i stayed upright
BUT
I also know that i will ride for the next few days like a dipstick cause of the fear in my head of coming across ice again

So is fear helping us or making things worse:confused::confused::confused::confused:

and now i am getting pissed:toothy7::toothy7::toothy7:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Does Fear make us a better rider or worse??
Id say a certain amount of fear keeps you more aware and alert, but beyond that id say you start to go down hill rapidly, almost like the fear is making decisions for you.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
That is a hard one to answer, When your confidence is shot it takes a while to get back into the stride. I think if you dwell on it too much you will become to scared to enjoy yourself. Get drunk and forget about it, tomorrow is another day.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
as to our conversation it really is subjective a little fear is a good thing it keeps you honest.

but high levels of fear make you freeze up so your not fully in control and will act irrationally .

but to much confidence can also make you a bad rider..

its all about finding a balance,, today was nasty if it wasnt for that rain it would have just been a normal frosty morning..its one of those nasty little curve balls life throws at you:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep i know stumpy,i also know that i will be ok again in a few days.I dealt with that sort of thing a few times now,i just wondered does fear help or make it worse.
I ride my bike every day in all conditions,due to that i have close calls on a regular basis.So i do not get the shakes very often iven if the bike goes down.Its just this is something i was thinking about the other day on my way to work.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Bloody hell Pete, If today scared you,Us normal people would have she'it there pants. Have a Beer on me But.:D:D

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question LV but coming back from the Ace today I was cruising with the flow of traffic in the middle lane, when I had that sixth sense the car to my right wanted to occupy the same space on the M40 as me. Sure enough, with no indication the [email protected] attempted to pull into my lane, a quick jab on the brakes and I was fine, but generally a sh1tty ride today. And wet and cold. :(:(

Maybe it was national drive like an idiot day today!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Fear is different to confidence
you have to get over the fear to be able to relax, if your too tense your riding will get worse and you'll tense up more

in all seriousness LV get a lighter bike and get off road, get your confidence back and enjoy it again

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bloody hell Pete, If today scared you,Us normal people would have she'it there pants. Have a Beer on me But.:D:D
You just drink [email protected] Orange juice:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Maybe you going to have a beer with me on thursday;):toothy2::toothy2::toothy2:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fear is different to confidence
you have to get over the fear to be able to relax, if your too tense your riding will get worse and you'll tense up more

in all seriousness LV get a lighter bike and get off road, get your confidence back and enjoy it again
I got not problem with my confidence.I know i will be back to normal tomorrow or the day after.I am planing taking my little panzer of road as i can not afford 2 bikes at the mo to improve my riding

I just was interested what you guys think about the fear thing.Does it help or hinder

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
It was a Sunday.

But they did seem worse than usual today. I had a sudden braking moment. It was as if people couldn't stay in their lane.

In my case a car going round a corner just south of Vauxhall Bridge went for far into the other lane the car that was in that lane had to stop completely.

I was both brakes full on trying to remember not to steer into the corner while braking, so heading for the kerb. I was just short of the kerb as the stopped car was able to start and I was able to ease off the brakes and use a bit of throttle to take the corner quite comfortably in the end.

Got home. decided to leave the bike out and get changed and go and tinker in the garage. By the time I had come outside again it was hailstones. Rained solidly for the hour after that too.

I really am bored of this cold weather now.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will buy you a proper Beer none of the Grolsh stuff, proper Welsh beer :teeth:
Nope tried that,the only reason i drunk that was cause it was free:D:D
and it tasted sh..

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I got not problem with my confidence.I know i will be back to normal tomorrow or the day after.I am planing taking my little panzer of road as i can not afford 2 bikes at the mo to improve my riding

I just was interested what you guys think about the fear thing.Does it help or hinder
Where TF has your AT gone then,obviously I haven't being paying attention.

Pete the fear is just one step beyond 'over anticipation'.Your a great rider,gotta be with your mileage......chill :).

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Pete the fear is just one step beyond 'over anticipation'.Your a great rider,gotta be with your mileage......chill :).
DITO :thumbup::thumbup:

D

·
0 Posts
During the war my father trained as a pilot intructor. He continued piloting as a Master Pilot (WO1) until 1967 when he retired (he was also a biker and made me one too). If any pilot had a 'prang' the first thing that was done on returning to base was to get him back in the air to give him his confidence back. This method ALWAYS worked. Sorry to hear about your little adventure but you did exactly what the pilots of old did. Good luck but Im sure you will be fine. May the Airforce be with you!!! (or is that Luke skyrocket?)

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
During the war my father trained as a pilot intructor. He continued piloting as a Master Pilot (WO1) until 1967 when he retired (he was also a biker and made me one too). If any pilot had a 'prang' the first thing that was done on returning to base was to get him back in the air to give him his confidence back. This method ALWAYS worked. Sorry to hear about your little adventure but you did exactly what the pilots of old did. Good luck but Im sure you will be fine. May the Airforce be with you!!! (or is that Luke skyrocket?)
but
i dont have a problem with all of this as i know i will be ok tomorrow or the day after
I just wondered if fear helps us riding or makes it worse

1 - 20 of 60 Posts