Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning folks.........just fired up bike to go out for a spin. let it warm up whilst getting ready. came out and spotted a few mystery spots under the belly pan. looked a bit closer and there is about 4-6 teaspoons worth of coolant in bottom of the belly pan ( nice green /yellow ). shut bike off. checked coolant level anyway. all ok there. took belly pan off. had a real good look around with my dentist mirror thingy and not a sign of leakage anywhere. letting bike cool right off now to see if contraction does anything. then fire up again. as it is, there aint a bead to be seen. bloody typical ( honest mr mechanic....theres a thumping sound on that side:rolleyes::rolleyes: ) any ideas good folk............ride out on hold for now, obviously !! cheers ade.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Probably just a loose hose clip.Prepare yourself with visual access to all your pipes. Run up the motor till it gets well hot and is putting a bit of pressure in the system.With a bit of luck you may see a fine jet or just a trickle someplace.you can often get little pools in one place and find it came from somewhere inches away with now't but dry in between. :)

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that mate...........have run it right up to the fan cutting in / out a few times and not a bead / sign of coolant..............how annoying is that !!:confused:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
OK stick a load of kitchen roll sheets around the engine area and up under the tank.Try again run up the motor when the fan Kicks in hold the revs at 2/3 thou' til water pressure gets well up and if that doesn't shed any light it's probably f*****D and you'll need to replace the whole bike. :)

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK stick a load of kitchen roll sheets around the engine area and up under the tank.Try again run up the motor when the fan Kicks in hold the revs at 2/3 thou' til water pressure gets well up and if that doesn't shed any light it's probably f*****D and you'll need to replace the whole bike. :)
yes i think you`re right......always yearned for a c90 :rolleyes::rolleyes:. will try kitchen roll and report back:thumbup:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
a loose clamp has my vote, but the only time ive ever had anything like that was on a different bike and some coolant appeared under the bike whenever i stopped. i looked all over every part of the cooling system, and cylinders, looking for a leak. turned out to be the expansion tank overflowed slightly from an airlock in the system, after a good flushing and renewing coolant it never happened again.
i reckon they didnt put enough coolant in the mix at the last service and the ratio of water was too high allowing it to boil up slightly when switched off (the fan and water pump cut out with the ignition, so coolant stayed put on the same hot bits for a while, bubbling away building up an airlock)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Never had a coolant leak from a Vara but my Tiger used to spit out a little from the overflow after sitting around over winter or just after being filled. As long as it's sealed itself and isn't hosing out you're going to have to take a run to see if it leaks again. Chances are it won't! Not sure where your overflow exits, some under the bike, some don't get that far! Check the pipe for recent coolant.
My opinion?Just run it as normal but keep an eye on the coolant level before a run.

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never had a coolant leak from a Vara but my Tiger used to spit out a little from the overflow after sitting around over winter or just after being filled. As long as it's sealed itself and isn't hosing out you're going to have to take a run to see if it leaks again. Chances are it won't! Not sure where your overflow exits, some under the bike, some don't get that far! Check the pipe for recent coolant.
My opinion?Just run it as normal but keep an eye on the coolant level before a run.
thanks for that jim........have left it for today with kitchen roll etc under the bike ( belly pan off ). will check it all over and fire the beast up in morn and give it a run. hate leaks of any kind. always gives the impression the bike gets neglected rotten ( which of course it aint ). will keep ya informed. thanks again all for suggestions etc.:thumbup: cheers ade

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
..........the only time ive ever had anything like that was on a different bike and some coolant appeared under the bike whenever i stopped................
well doesnt that say it all? the bike i was referring to before was a sprint ST 955i.
the reason im now a honda man.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
................... hate leaks of any kind. always gives the impression the bike gets neglected rotten ( which of course it aint ).......
all the care in the world wont stop some parts rotting, hoses cant stay flexible forever, brake hoses cant stay inflexible forever,etc.
the constant use/hot/cold cycle kills everything eventually- there is a proper engineering name for it i cant remember after a pitcher of pimms, but basically if stuff didnt wear it wouldnt work. apart from the obvious stuff like clutch plates or brake pads and tyres, threads wouldnt stay tight without friction and friction=wear

sound like my apprentice master droning on and on again........

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Two possibilities,
1. A pipe has started to split and it is dripping coolant.
2. It was spilt when being filled up and you missed it until now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts