Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 1st post :smile:

I bought a 57 reg Varadero for my weekly commute between Hartlepool and Bristol and I like the bike and have had it a month and 2k+ now

I got it wearing well worn continentals and it handled ok on the motorway at speed, (Although a bit slidey and lacking feel chucking it around in the wet in the city)
I've just fitted Michelin Anakee 3's which I have on my Peg and love, wet, dry fast, slow any type of riding, in fact I love Michelins and have them on several of my bikes. But now at speed it gets all floaty, weavy and vague, is it the tyres? the bike? just this combo? anyone else experience this north of 90/95mph.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Check the pressures, mine are vague at normal pressures. Riding solo with pressures for two up and they feel great.

Sent from my iPad using Stumps

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My SD01 has only ever had Avon Distanzias or Metzeler Tourances. I also over inflate to 2-up pressures. I've never experienced any kind of weaving, at any speed (including those you mention) or any loading, although I've heard others discuss it. The only time I get what could be described as a floaty, vague feeling is in a strong cross wind. Leaning into this is not the problem. The bike seems to go light as if being lifted. Unnerving but I can live with it.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Light as if being lifted lol
Must be strong wind to lift a Vara!!

Looks like I need to stick some more are in the tyres, I did notice the odd squirm yesterday that kind of felt like the rear tyre was deflecting.

sent from my 'phone

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers gents, I'll try a bit more air, checked the pressures and it was 36/36, blurb say 36/41 for 2 up can't see that making much difference, I've put in 38/42 we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Fryup, not looking forward to the ride tonight, weather forecast says rain most of the way and I'm knackered from a weekend of DIY and gardening! I could do without all the bloody average speed cameras as well! But the Varadero is well up to the job, I could be on a 916 or R1!

·
Registered
71 Posts
My SD01 has only ever had Avon Distanzias or Metzeler Tourances. I also over inflate to 2-up pressures. I've never experienced any kind of weaving, at any speed (including those you mention) or any loading, although I've heard others discuss it. The only time I get what could be described as a floaty, vague feeling is in a strong cross wind. Leaning into this is not the problem. The bike seems to go light as if being lifted. Unnerving but I can live with it.
I thought it was just me.... Several times whilst riding with a strong crosswind such as on the M5 near Burnham-on-Sea it's been dangerous. I've even considered coming off the motorway to use the A38!! As you say it's very unnerving and all the more galling when recently a BMW GT just purred by without a care in the world :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just logged on to ask this very question, as I have the same issue. It only seems to have shown up since I fitted new tyres, but that could be my imagination. Just tried the bike without my top box, but no different. Can you let me know the verdict on the tyre pressures, it is a bit un nerving to say the least. Other than that the bikes ace. Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Changing the tyre pressures made no difference, I didn't expect it to really as I already had 36/36 in, like yourself Lee I only noticed on the new rubber what did you fit? That said I think I'm getting to the point of just ignoring it because I don't think it is going to amount to anything more serious.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cured mine today. Head bearings were badly adjusted, basically set too tight so the steering wasn't moving freely. Impossible to notice until you get the front off the ground, but I adjusted it today and test rode. Much better. Tyres are Conti Trail attacks, Standard pressures ( 36/36 ). Rear shock set to factory standard, so as to eliminate that as a problem, but I may up the preload again a bit. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Lee I'll check that, it had well worn Trail attacks on when I bought it, just put Anakee 3's on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine were new tapered bearings, and fitted the day before I got the bike. Probably why I never noticed the problem in the first place, the whole bike was new to me. When I got the front in the air, the bars wouldn't fall to the side, and they should if the bearing are adjusted correctly. Let me know how you get on :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just been out to check and like yourself I would expect the bars to flop with the front wheel of the ground, no flop in fact they need a push to move them not much resistance but they will only move what you push them and no further, so I'll free it off a bit and try again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts