Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my wisdom today, I decided that I'd fit my fender extender in a method different to the instructions, thought I'd use my pop riveter instead of the sharp little self tapping screws that came with the fender.

So, all is going well until I thought, I'll just take the mudguard off to fit the extension, it'll make it neater, straighter etc etc.

Undid the large bolts that fasten it to the forks and then noticed the metal bar obstructing it's removal across the top. This bit

For some reason I completely missed that it wasn't just a piece of metal put there to make life awkward for people taking mudguards off but looks like it's actually an important piece of the brakes!

So after undoing one of the bolts, I immediately noticed a fluid leak, so did the bolt back up and began banging my head off a wall for not looking properly before doing it.

So - what is it? what's the fluid? brake/hydraulic ? have i buggered something up by sort of bleeding it ??

To make matters worse I ended up putting the fender extender on with the little self tappers anyway because I was annoyed at myself, and thought sod it, I'll follow instructions from now on.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
which bolt did you undo? I fitted a fenda extender a couple of months back and didn't have problem loosening the bolts that hold that brake pipe on and moving it out the way. From memory the bolts I removed just held the pipe in place. The banjo bolts are down on the caliper.

Whatever, if you have a fluid leak you need to (a) fix it and (b) bleed the brakes. There's a thread somewhere on doing that. If not the handbook tells you which order to do it in.

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which bolt did you undo? I fitted a fenda extender a couple of months back and didn't have problem loosening the bolts that hold that brake pipe on and moving it out the way. From memory the bolts I removed just held the pipe in place. The banjo bolts are down on the caliper.
I loosened a bolt on the end of the pipe, it's a horizontal one that looked to me as though it just held the end of the bar in place, but the leak happened straight away, not a steady flow of fluid but enough to prompt an oh s**t moment.

I'll refer to the handbook and see if I can work out what I've done, luckily she's going in for a minor service next weekend so I'll get the mechs to give the front brakes a once over as well.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Ha ha! Sorry mate, can't help but laugh! :D:D:D But it does serve a purpose posting it up here,,,, as a warning to others who do not know any better to leave well alone! Please all remember brakes can make the difference between life and death, if you're not sure do not touch!

If you tightened the bolt back up to the same tension as it was originally and there's no fluid leaking, especially while under pressure from the handle you should be safe to ride to your service engineer. If there's no extra play in the handle should be safe enough, possibly no air introduced.

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to have served a purpose Jim!;)

Happily nothing is leaking now, and everything seems secure, but yeah it'll teach me to think twice before undoing nuts and bolts!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Never mind, a learning curve mate, we've all had our blonde moments, I once drilled a hole through a front mudguard for an extender, thinking to myself "be careful when it goes through the mudguard as the tyre's right behi,,,,,,,,, F*CK!!!!!!!! Ptssssssssssssssssssssssssss!"
We've all been there. is there still plenty of fluid showing in the master cylinder window? If so all will be fine. Better luck next time mate.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
just make sure you havent let loads of air into your system. there are so many banjos, pipes and drain screws in that linked abs system i wouldnt like to go near it and i build helicopters!

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fortunately it's a 99 carbadero and so doesn't have the abs system fitted,

tbh I never go near brakes nowadays as a don't have a degree in quantum physics and applied nanotechnology engineering. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts