Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a grumble and I will feel better when I have finished!!!

Picked up a K&N air filter this morning. About 2pm decided I would fit it. This being the first time I have done any work on the TA since buying it in May. Read the Haynes manual - fairing off, tank off, fit filter, put it all back together. About an hour and a half I thought - including coffee and biccy breaks.

2hours later, 18 bolts/screws, 8 plastic fasteners, and 6 major fairing components later I have got the fairing off. An hour later and 1 bolt and 4 pipes later I get the tank off - course its dark by now. Did the rest by headtorch!! Who designed this bl**dy bike.

Filter goes on doddle- but it is still 8 screws to remove the filter cover. But fairing and tank off in 3hours just to check/change the filter - someone at Honda should be SACKED!!!!! Also just read further in the manual - to check the plugs also involves removing the fairing - FUC*ING H*LL!!!

Of course I got thoroughly pee'd off with the breather pipes at the back of the tank so I cut them. Eventuall got some pipe joint thingy's at carcare and just shoved 'em together - don't give a toss right now if they are joined or not.

Putting it all back together was bit easier - but that 3-piece b*stard stone guard took about half an hour. And do those plastic trim clips really work?

Washed my hands and went straight to the pub. 4 Pints of "Top Totty" and I feel a bit less harassed, but don't even want to look at the TA again.

Tools needed were only 8 and 12mm spanners, 1xallen key, phillips screwdriver, pliers, scissors!! It is just that everything is awkward, hard to get at, needs 4 hands with qaudruple articulated fingers or multiple alignments.

I know it was a first time job and it will be quicker and seem easier next time but that fairing is a genuine PITA and enough to get me seriously considering selling the blood thing!!!

NOT HAPPy!!!

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Austin Winckler said:
I know it was a first time job and it will be quicker and seem easier next time
first time you need to take care and not rush the job, takes me 10 mins now to remove the fairing (suppose it could easily be done in 5 with everything to hand).

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
I take it you split the fairing to remove it?

From what I gather, all you need to do is remove the screen, cluster surround, unbolt the headlight and slide the complete unit foward.

Easy!

Having never done this though, I could be wrong!!!!

Fairing need only be slackened to remove the tank and access the air filter.

Mines due a full service now so I guess I'll soon find out how easy it is!

Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like Wheeliebin says,take your time.
Once you have done it,it is quick to do.
I spray WD-40 towards the rubber grommets
that hold the fairing to eliminate the chance of breaking them
when I ease them off the tank.
The breather hoses to the tank are a pain in the butt to put on.
I certainly think it is worthwhile to remove the fairing as this
gives great access without fear of damage.

·
Registered
323 Posts
wheeliebin said:
Austin Winckler said:
I know it was a first time job and it will be quicker and seem easier next time
first time you need to take care and not rush the job, takes me 10 mins now to remove the fairing (suppose it could easily be done in 5 with everything to hand).
Fookin' hell, that's impressive! Done it twice now and while it was easier and much quicker the second time coz I knew where to look without constantly referencing Haynes, it's still a pain in the hole just for the sake of checking filter/plugs. So I feel your pain Austin!

By the way, I found that you only need to loosen the fairing rather than take it off to get at the air box: take out all screws, pull out the gromets and you should be able to shimmy the tank back, prop her up and get full access to the air box and rear cylinder (right hand?) plug.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Two points here.... first , you should ahve got the 600! One screw removes the side panel, three more and the air filter is out!, and second... you should have gone to the pub FIRST!!! Would have been a doddle then :lol:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the support/sympathy chaps - I will time it next time I take the fairing off. I reckon about 30 mins next time and 20 to refit.

Does anone know where to get those fule hose pipes/joints that separate to make tank removal easier. After sleeping on it I am of course now worried about the breather/overflow pipes I abandoned.

Anway, I decided the celebrate today by fitting a bull bar to my Land Rover (a discovery so not really a proper LR - but my '90 got nicked a few months ago]. This made the fairing seem simple - everything was upside down as I had to lay on the floor [freezing] to undo bolts, evry nut/bolt/screw was rusted either so tight it was impossible to undo or just snapped - even the plastic one's it seemed, the "bargain" E-BAy BULL bar was bent. When I did get it on I realised I had done it the hard way and could have managed b undoing only 4 easy access bolts!! :cry:

I think I must like pain. :twisted:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Frustration!

Austin Winckler, your avatar certainly illustrates your post perfectly. Better luck next time. Cheers John. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts