Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...

A couple of weeks back I was out for a very gentle "confidence building" ride-out on the Vara, with my newly CBT'd girlfriend following on behind on her little Yamaha SR125. It was maybe the 3rd or 4th time we'd been out together since she'd had the little bike, and she really needed a nice sunny days ride to boost her confidence.

We were half an hour into what was going to be an hours very slow ride down B roads to a country pub for lunch then a ride back home. She's not a natural biker but had been enjoying our little potters round the local area. So it's a lovely sunny day, we're riding along some lovely tree-lined roads and haven't been above 40mph the whole time, but she's doing really well and it's like a dream come true to me to have a girlfriend who rides her own bike.

500 yards before a junction (my TomTom tells me) a Mercedes Estate pulls out ahead of me. Not close enough that it's hugely dangerous, but close enough that it registers as being too close. You'll know what I mean. As I pass the turning he just came out of and glance in my rear view mirror, I see a little silver VW Polo pull out between myself and Yvonne on her SR. This time it's definitely too close, it's a long straight road and I can see there's no traffic after the 4x4 that's behind Yvonne. No need at all to pull out.

I approach the junction and begin to slow for the Give Way. The Mercedes estate ahead of me pulls through the junction and proceeds up the road. I look to the right and there's a car towing a caravan approaching so i slow to a complete stop. Literally the second I put my foot down there's a big, crunching impact behind me.

Next thing I know I'm on the ground, but I'm still being pushed by the car that's hit me. I roll clear and into the gutter at the side of the road, then jump up and rip the passenger door open of the car that's hit me, giving the driver a "right mouthful", as they say. Yvonne's sitting shocked on her bike behind the car so I tell her to turn it off and pull it off the road. I run down to the guy in the 4x4 behind, ask him if he saw what happened and get him to give me a lift up with the Vara which we then wheel across the road and out of the way.

Anyway, to cut a long story slightly shorter, the driver of the car VW Polo that hit me turns out to be the elderly wife of the guy who was driving the Merc that pulled out infront of me - clearly intent only on following her husband and not paying proper attention.

Damage to myself was minimal, with just some heavy bruising to my side and lower back and a bit of whiplash. Damage to the Vara appeared at first to have been caught by the crash bars, hand guards and pannier racks, but on closer inspection looked to have a bent frame and "popped" rear shock.

The long and short of it is that I've just today agreed a price with Messrs Nash to write it off :( Seemed like the best way all round really. I wouldn't want to either ride or be responsible for selling on a bike that's been fairly heavily damaged in that way.

So, au revoir my trusty Vara...you have served me well old friend. :salute: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Is bad enough when you sell them but when you have to say good bye like this it really hurts.At least you did not get injured and that is the main thing:thumbup:
and what......??????????????????:D:D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
And .....urrrrmmmm....well......what happened was.......

.....well I can't post it in here can I?! :rolleyes:
Well there got to be a place on here where you can:D:D:D
Got your txt from last night.Had a fun evening???:D:D

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Can we fit the engine in my Alp ???? :).......no ??? :(

Oh Yeah........sorry to hear about that Rob....;) :rolleyes: :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are u not claiming from her policy ?

Sorry to hear your off.

I got knocked off my TDM by a guy pulling out from a side road who appeared to be a big bag of lies and driving somebody elses car without his own insurance but luckily the person who owned the car has insurance so she is liable to pay me off.

1.5 months ago, a red VW polo with loud pipe almost bumped into the back of me as he failed to see there is a zebra crossing.

Better watch out especailly those girl drivers with big sunglasses and a lot of pink stuff in their cars. I am sure you know what I mean!:thumbup:

Are u planning to get another Vara?

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
What a way for it to go :(

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
Sorry to hear of the accident, hopefully it's not put Yvonne off 2 wheels.

Glad to hear you are not seriously hurt and the insurance has settled the claim already. :thumb:

I am seeing at least one bike related accident every week on my 16 mile round commute, 2 I have witnessed being bad riders racing through busy traffic but others have like yourself been on approaches to or on roundabouts or junctions. Looks like the adverts to watch out for bikers are falling on deaf ears!

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Vara mate :( but very happy to hear that you are ok. :thumbright::D:D.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
rob you had no idea how hard it was keeping this quiet mate...i was relieved you were well and happy you now have you new steed mate:cool::thumbup:

and goodbye trusty vara you indeed did serve our robster very well:cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Iv'e lost count of the people who I've talked to, about your gnarly Vara getting up the Sommellier. An icon it was ! Oh well, main thing is your healthy and sorted again.Easy pal ! :)

·
17,680 Posts
Iv'e lost count of the people who I've talked to, about your gnarly Vara getting up the Sommellier. An icon it was ! Oh well, main thing is your healthy and sorted again.Easy pal ! :)

an icon it was :cool:but the reason it got to the top was the iron will and determination of its commander:D:D:D:D:D

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
an icon it was :cool:but the reason it got to the top was the iron will and determination of its commander:D:D:D:D:D
Indeed...Brave Heart Barron....:brave:

Better take him down to Smithfield meat market.....

.......and show him where they chopped up William Wallace...:D

If only it had been Mel Gibson.....:rolleyes:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Only just spotted this. Main thing is you're OK Robster.

·
17,680 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glad to se you survived without anything more serious than that, a hefty shunt to pop the shock, small car must have been going at a fair lick.

Hope your Lass registers that as experience, I know how seeing stuff like that can initially be scarry, coming back to bikes after too many years myself.

No consolation I know but it's no different in Singapore, lost count of the number of times I have had to glare at drivers that are squaring off my rear tyre at the lights. Funny when I flip the kickstand down they suddenly find the reverse gear :rolleyes:

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Sorry Robster dunno how I missed this. That's crap - but the ONLY thing that matters at the end of the day is that you and your partner are fine.

Seems like you got a bmw now too :cool:

:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts