Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is behaving strangely and I am trying to figure out why...?

It blows black smoke and backfires for about 5-10 minutes until it warms up, then it's all fine. With the choke in - no problems, choke out - backfiring and smoke.

It started doing this the morning after I put some fuel and it was in a petrol station I used for ages. Never had this problem before.

Any ideas?

Cheers
:D :D :D

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
could it be that something has worked loose and is leaking when cold but once warm expands and stops the leak - as to what, sorry not that technical! :oops:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Black smoke from the exhaust normally indicates a over rich mixture,i would check if your choke is working correctly,another cause could be a sticking needle valve in the carbs which would certainly cause a misfire. i would also consider changing the spark plugs, you may have a faullty plug or plugs.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spark plugs are only 4 weeks old, so I don't think the problem is with them. One interesting thing I've noticed is that the petrol station I used last week is being demolished. Makes me question the quality of petrol they were selling before closing down :roll:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Doesn't it mean that you have not become Pope?

·
Registered
448 Posts
If thats the case,it might be worth ditching the petrol in the tank ,replace the fuel filter ,clean the fuel lines & clean out the carbs i realise it will be a lot of hassle but it would eliminate dirty petrol.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: post

mal said:
If thats the case,it might be worth ditching the petrol in the tank ,replace the fuel filter ,clean the fuel lines & clean out the carbs i realise it will be a lot of hassle but it would eliminate dirty petrol.
Was thinking of just emptying the tank and filling up from a different garage as an easy option.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MacP said:
YEN_POWELL said:
Amen to that...
Did I miss anything? :?

Haven't been watching TV or reading newspapers for a long time now... :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Black smoke = burning too rich petrol
blue smoke = burning oil (I know you'd think this would be black smoke wouldn't you)
white smoke = burning (boiling) water, (mostly only affects grandad when he hasn't used the car for a week and only goes 2 miles to the paper shop in it anyway), or you have just been made the next Pope.
Petrol quality unlikely to be an issue these days, could be naff diapragms, gung or grit in a carb jet? suggest squirting redex carb treatment in first, if this helps then maybe you need to strip and clean the carbs?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Kiroh

You may be alright just draining the petrol, i would drain it into a bucket so you can inspect the contents of the tank, if it looks contaminated i would also change the filter & clean out the carbs,please do not smoke whilst checking or this could be your last post :D

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Dilbert said:
blue smoke = burning oil (
white smoke = burning (boiling) water
alternatively...

YEN_POWELL said:
White smoke = You are the Pope
Black smoke = You are not the Pope
Blue smoke = The Cardinals are getting stoned again, prepare for a long wait.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
xrv_jim said:
Dilbert said:
blue smoke = burning oil (
white smoke = burning (boiling) water
alternatively...

YEN_POWELL said:
White smoke = You are the Pope
Black smoke = You are not the Pope
Blue smoke = The Cardinals are getting stoned again, prepare for a long wait.
yellow smoke = you left the kippers in your silencer too long again :lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: post

mal said:
...please do not smoke whilst checking or this could be your last post :D
... if I smoke, I'll be seeing (not becoming) the Pope... :lol:

Will post an update when I get this sorted. Probably a weekend jobie.

Cheers

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dodgy petrol

As expected - it was the petrol making the problem. Now I've got 20 litres of dodgy petrol :twisted:

Any ideas how to get rid of it? I've considered pouring it down the drain or feeding it to zoo animals already...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Time to clear out the loft and build a lovely bonfire! :twisted:

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
Apart from the normal environmental considerations of putting it down the drain (unless you goto a petrol station and sort of tip it down theirs... have you asked your local council? They might have a facilty to dump it. Or a scrap dealer...

Of course you could always get a couple of milk containers - sorry suitable containers - and syphon it out then use it in a lawn mower, BBQor bonfires.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Kiroh
good to see you've solved your problem,as for disposal i would not in any circumstances put it down a drain ,you could in theory cause a explosion and blow up some sewer worker

1 - 20 of 30 Posts