Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Not bad at all. The first one really should have the black engine & gearbox of the second one to finish it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kind of liked the way the final drive, gearbox, engine and front A-arm makes a combination of silvering mechanical unit in the Black & White package.

I would black out the front end and part of the final drive.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Red/white does look good. Reminiscent of the classic PD...

Especially with the Bings on yours. :) Though they look so small on an 1100.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks interesting! Is there a thread were You explain what's ben done to the bike?

Looks a lot different from a normal 75 Anniversary model

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
It was a standard Anniversary model when I got it but has a few alterations, no thread on here but I'll run through them on this thread when I get a chance this week if you want.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, if You have the time, please.

Stronger subframe, bigger tank, carbs, lots of changes, and judging by the rest of Your bikes, this one must be well sorted.
The one in my post above is actually 4-sale here in Sweden, and I might pop by and give him an offer.

/Kjell

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
As requested, I found the bike in England, an original 75th Anniversary model 1100 with what I've always thought was a cracking colour scheme, Ive had various oil head GS's, started with the 1200's and worked backwards through the range, IMPO the 1100 is the one which works for me, I prefer the 5 speed box compared to the 6 speed of the 1150.

Bile was delivered to Steve Scriminger at Scriminger Engineering to have the electronics ditched and 40mm carbs fitted which came from an R100 RS, I'd used Steve before for work and knew how good he is with BM's. THe oil head R900 RR Dakar bike used a sleeved down 1100 engine with carbs, as far as I'm concerned BM only moved to fuel injection to meet emissions legislation. Carbs totally change the character of the bike and suit the 5 speed gearbox. No throttle lag, no reduction in MPG yet with increased performance and the removal of electrical components which simplifies maintenance and gives a starting point for a long distance bike.

I flew over to collect the converted bike and spent a few days touring in the UK, the stock system cases where replaced by a more robust and usable set of panniers from Project VND, new Wave brake discs fitted together with a set of Ohlins front and rear, upgraded head protectors plus hand protectors from the 1150 GS and a Touratech seat. The change in character and performance with the carbs is something that has to be experienced to be believed but the before and after dyno runs will give you and idea. :p

I'd a couple of long trips planned for the bike, to increase the range I sourced and 1150 GSA tank and sent it up to my painter together with a set of one off graphics, I wanted to retain the paint scheme but give it a bit of a twist hence the 1100 GSA graphic which causes all sorts of confusion from those who "know" BMW's :D

Another advantage of the GSA tank on the bike is it has fuel outlets on each side of the tank to take a balancer pipe, with these I can get separate direct feeds to each carb rather than using a tee piece.

The original rear subframe went over to Vern at Project VND for some strengthening as did the side stand which was lengthen to deal with the bikes standard lean angle which has caused toppling under load, the man's an artist with a TIG welder!

Quick trip to the finishers and the freshly powdered coated subframe is ready for fitting.

So that's the story so far, not much else I intend doing to her, she does everything I need and is the bike I take when the other half wants a few days away, love it :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn You and the Horse (BMW) You rode in on! :D

Now I just have to buy that R1100GS and make a Thunder Edition copy out of it.

Great to hear You like the five speed gearbox better.

I know BMW did something to their gearboxes för the R-series in 1998 and then again in 1999.
I always thought the fivers were stronger then the sixes and that can't be a bad thing.

I really like the change from Injection to carbs! I would imagine that one could even use other then BING, like Mikuni or something.

Now that would be nice, I could get a numberplate holder with the text; Honest officer, Thunder made me do it!

Again thanks for the info!

/Kjell

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
I really like the change from Injection to carbs! I would imagine that one could even use other then BING, like Mikuni or something.
Having spoken with Steve slide carbs give the best top end, vacuums for torque hence I went with Bings!

Interestingly the RS inlet tubes fit straight on to the oil head, another sign that BMW had carbs in mind when the bike was designed :)

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
The 1100 has gone to a new custodian, I'm having to rationalise the stable as I'm not getting out on the road as much these days, but believe me it's been like Dogs Trust vetting new owners for one of their charges when it comes to finding a new owner for my babies. :D

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts