Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads / Ladies,
Blake here from NZ, have been a lurker on the forum for a few years but just purchased my own RD04 after falling in love with my father in laws one a few years ago.
its an "interesting" looking bike with some cool history, the old owner road it for 50,000kms around south america in 2008. after that it has has a complete engine overhaul and is mechanically very sound. it was "built for purpose" with a lot of the factory plastics being ditched in an attempt to make it practical as possible for touring, he used plastic jerry cans as panniers tucked right in close to keep the rear section no wider than the handle bars. i like this idea, but also dont like the yellow / checker plate.

my plan is over winter to strip the bike for a bit of a birthday / learning the bike, source a stock front fender and potentially tail section, and if i can side covers. i also might try mould my own side covers that are nice and narrow to keep its current pannier system. will then paint it white and slap some Rothmans decals on it :)

so if anyone has any of those parts available, or if you know where to source them, id love to hear for you!!

bike in current state -

cheers,
Blake

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i have done a lot of work on this over the last 6 or so months on and off, its almost finished. I have been posting about the build on another forum and forgot i had a thread here also so will write a brief update and add a bunch of photos on my progress making this ugly duckling not so ugly.

The first job was to build custom fibreglass side panels and tail section. Its my first time glassing so was a good learning experience. I started with insulation foam for the plug, a layer of epoxy over that which was then bogged smooth. Gel coat and matt for the mold then gel and cloth for the final piece. many many many hours work went into these parts.

Thats the tail piece, was good to practice on and i knew the process a bit better for the real time consuming bits, the side panels..

Got given this old photo of the bike from a previous owner ha, explains some of its rough bits.

Similar thing with the plugs for the side panels. ended up removing the bolt holes as they were too hard to get nice

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spent forever sanding back the old paint on the fairings and made repairs to all the cracks using acetone and dissolved ABS, even made some missing parts which worked a treat.

New tyres and a small led lightbar fitted

Working out position and clearances for new exhaust (sus linkage is removed to reduce wheel to max travel to assure clearance from brake caliper

Slapped up some panniers for my soft bags

Panels and tank all primed ready for paint

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next up was to sort the wiring. The reg rec was fine but i checked the plug and it was just about shot, so decided to upgrade to a genuine mosfet FH020 while i was here. Grabbed one from a wrecked 2016 CBR500f for 100 bucks (NZD)

I have a few accessories and didnt want to add strain to the existing wiring so decided to add a small fuse distribution board controlled by a relay off the ignition circuit. added another relay to control the led lightbar off the high beam circuit.

Relays tucked away nicley

Discovered the 4 flashing LED indicator farkle. Fixed this by changing the wiring to the turn sigal indicator bulb by grounding one side of it and adding 2x diodes to the signal wires. tucked them in a old fuse tube to prevent them from being damaged and keep things tidy.

The PO obviously had stuck choke plungers, tried to extract them and damaged the housing so just jizzed half a tube of grey RTV in there which plugged up some other passages and made the bike very hard to start. i got a second hand set of carbs out of austria which solved that and the chokes now work well.

Made up a stainless exhaust and had a friend tig weld them up for me. Can see the new motoz rallz tyre on the back there too.

Some older hotgrips added for winter riding

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
were you trying to say something there Wilky? it just double quoted my last post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have a big issue, bike is running very rich. Pulled chokes apart and seems I have a mismatch of parts. The chokes are not sealing. There appears to be minimal travel in the choke lever and my plungers are the short 18mm long ones with no needle at the end. Think I might have rd07 plungers. Will order some correct plungers but can anyone tell me if the rd04 choke cable is the same as the rd07? Want to make sure I have the right cable also as there seems to be minimal play it this one, just having it hooked into the lever seems to engage the choke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts