Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been too long since I've been on the forum, so I reckon I've got a goodie to come back with!!

I had a problem with the front brakes not releasing properly. It started kinda subtly :? and then got worse and worse to the extent that I was stuggling to get the bike on and off the stand- pushing backwards up the slightest incline almost impossible!! Thought I was getting weak :shock:

Well - when there is a problem, I get hold of (that'll be figuratively :? ) the great Mr Yen Powell. Ian helped me remove, as in force, the calipers off the disk and give them a clean up - not wanting to venture into the 'having to bleed the brakes' domain!! Sadly, this didn't help and Ian informed that it was going to have to involve removing the pistons, replacing the seals BLEEDING the brakes :? :cry: :shock: and also that he was not going to be around to help - Uh, oh :shock:

Anyway, I heeded the wise advice afforded to me by the great Mr Powell and got stuck in - expecting to be screaming for help before long. Most surprisingly, even more so knowing my very limited knowledge in this area :oops: - I managed to do both calipers ang bleed them within about 4.5 hours!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My bike feels totally different and the front brakes now both work and release!!! Bonus!! I reckon I've done a lot of miles with the brakes holding me back, I'll see what the fuel economy does now!!

When I mentioned all this to Ian, he suggested that I (try) to explain what I did, so, here goes.........

To start with, I left one of the calipers on the disc - this may well have helped me later on. I removed the other caliper, removed the caliper bracket and pads and cleaned things as best I could with brake cleaner.
Thanks to Ian's advice, I SLOWLY pumped the brake lever, watching the pistons start moving up. As soon as one piston got ahead of the other one, I held it back with a G-clamp, making sure that I could get them both out as far as possible before losing the pressure.

By the way - be warned 8) I did manage to cover a fairly large area with copious amounts of brake fluid :roll: finesse not one of my stronger points!! :oops:

I removed one of the pistons and popped it in a jar, labelled, so that it would go back into the same bore. I removed the other piston and cleaned it up and put it in a different jar. (For me, that's pretty scientific!! :wink: ) I allowed the rather crap looking brake fluid to run out, removed the bleed-valve completely (it was rather stiff) cleaned the thread and spread some copper grease on the thread before replacing it. I used a toothbrush with the brake cleaner to clean out the bore (bloody thing still tastes funny :shock: ) and I had to use a small allen-key to scrape out the deposits in the groove for the dust-ring!! I topped up the brake fluid reservoir and allowed the fluid to gravity feed through the ports at the bottom of the bores.

When I was happy that the fluid looked new, I ensured that there was plenty in the reservoir, loosened the bleed valve and checked that there was still fluid coming in through the ports.

Bloody hell - look how much I've typed - Cheers, I'm off for a coffee 8)

That's better :wink: So, the fluids still flowing, in goes the first piston - seems to battle a bit, then rather suddenly pops in!! Yup - more brake fluid flying around the place!! :roll:
As the second piston pops in, you can hear the air being forced out of the bleed valve, which I then closed. With my trusty neighbour at the brake lever - this definitely is a two-man operation, I got him to squeeze the brake lever about four or five times and hold it in while I opened the bleed-valve.

It would be worth mentioning that the friendly Haynes chaps talk about a piece of clear pipe over the bleed valve, seeing as I chose to ignore that spot of advice :roll: I now know how far the brake fluid shoots!!

As soon as there was a bit of movement in the pistons, I put the caliper back together and replaced it on the disc. I then bled that side, which only took a couple of minutes - yup, minutes!! I kept looking around to see what I'd left out, as I was told that I would really struggle.

Anyway, did the other caliper in the same way and did the test-ride at about midnight that night - what a great feeling of achievement to get something like that right 8) , I did feel pretty good. Well, that was almost two weeks ago now, and the brakes are as good as ever. I hope that I've shed some light on this - maybe I was just lucky.

Phew - that was a marathon session, I'm outta here!!

Ciao :wink:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great, thanks. I have the same problem and I am building up to the same solution as part of my great 'winter overhaul'. The bike is currently sitting on my brand-new abba stand, looking quite naked and pathetic! I'll also do the back brake too while I'm at it, and I actually have a bleeder pump which I've used once before.

My previous experience of this has been a single-piston brake, and so your account answered one of my main puzzles - how to get ALL the pistons out instead of just the first one!

Question: did you use new seals, and where from?

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
well done pete put your hand over and behind your head and give your self a pat on the back :D

nice one mate :thumbright:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
How cool is this :lol: :lol:
If one of the clever mods could now match your cool report to my pics wich i stuck a while back into the pic section,everyone would be much better off.
I was lucky,chad was showing me how it is done.I took pictures all the way through :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Well done. Nothing more satisfying than a job well done and saved yourself a packet in the process. :wink:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Way to go African Twin! I detest brake fluid along with the best, but I guess sometimes we just have to get in there and have a swim... One question - age and mileage (of bike!).
Ta
Steve

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Spend the money saved on hookers, beer and **** immediately!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Recycler said:
Spend the money saved on hookers, beer and **** immediately!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: I could not do that :shock: :shock: :shock:

i do not smoke :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiya!! MarkH - I ordered the seals through our local John Pease, who I believe ordered the parts direct from Honda. For these sort of parts, it certainly is worth going for the genuine kit!! I've just had a quick look for the invoice, afraid my 'Lob it and forget it' filing system is acting up again :oops:
Each set of seals was around the £8.00 mark - you'll need four of those. I replaced the pad retaining pin and pad pin plugs as well, they were pretty cheap - couple of quid each!!

Hiya Steve!! 8) My bike hails from the sunny year of 2000 and has 18000 miles on it - still a youngster, just like me :wink:

Thanks Chad 8) 8) - about time I showed my ugly mug 'round these parts again :shock: that reminds me, that avatar :oops: time to change it yet?........ pleeeeeeeeeeez :lol:

One of these days I may even get round to that ride report................. :roll:

·
2,428 Posts
Thanks African; kinda looking at my 01 with almost 14k on the clock a bit differently now :(
I drove a few Volvos in my time (hey; not ALL Vulva drivers are like that!) and did all the calipers on two of them. But with old hunks of metal like those were, it's a bit like working on some old steam train. Must admit that i had hoped those days were behind me. Why don't they make em like they used to :cry:
Ciao and thanks for the info. And yes, it *would* be deeply cool (for this mechanically challenged soul) to get those piccies by Mr Vadar and your words together.
Ciao!
Steve

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Steve - I also drove a Volvo for a while - Hullo, my name is Pete and this is my first meeting..... :? A friend(?) of mine suggested that I wear a hat, remove the rear-view mirrors and disable the indicators, driving at 40 in the middle lane non-negotiable :shock: hey!! It was a nice motor 8) .... really!!!!

Sorry :oops: I digressed!!
If or when you decide to have a go at your brakes, I'd be quite happy to give you a hand - hope I'm not getting beyond myself here, but what the heck, my brakes still work!! :wink:

·
2,428 Posts
Fantastic Ian - that would be kool and all the gang! I guess you could smell the terror in my words!

A 2007 job I expect - your words really reminded me that it's kinda helpful to get to them before they get too stuck :?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
What Peter doesn't mention is that all his skin fell off his hands from the brake fluid and I suspect he drunk some, as he appears to be speaking in a very poor impression of a South Efrican accent. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
YEN_POWELL said:
What Peter doesn't mention is that all his skin fell off his hands from the brake fluid and I suspect he drunk some, as he appears to be speaking in a very poor impression of a South Efrican accent. :scratch:
Who me :?: :?: :?: Having an accent,lies blatant lies :wink: :wink:
Pete

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
Lord Vader said:
YEN_POWELL said:
Pete
Nein, not you, the other Peter, Africa Twin :D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
YEN_POWELL said:
Lord Vader said:
YEN_POWELL said:
Pete
Nein, not you, the other Peter, Africa Twin :D
See chad i told you i do not have a accent :lol: :lol: Yen said so :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
2,428 Posts
Steve C said:
Fantastic Ian - that would be kool and all the gang! I guess you could smell the terror in my words!

A 2007 job I expect - your words really reminded me that it's kinda helpful to get to them before they get too stuck :?
Aargh, just realised i got myself in a name tangle there - African, I meant you when I said Ian - somehow, your Hello my name is Pete got translated into gobbledegook and when translated back into Earth speak came out as Ian. Don't be too hard on me - I can't help it :oops:

Anyway, the answer was Yes to your kind offer!

I don't have a garage, BTW, so it could be cool in January...
My rear pads are down on their limit so I'll have those off soon, so it'll maybe then I'll have a go - or maybe it'll be then that I have a look to see what state they're in and then decide :D

Ciao!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Goeie Middag Manne (en vroumense, natuurlik!!) 8)

Don't worry Bob, ahh Arthur, I mean George, :? STEVE :lol: , I've never been good with names and I've also been called a lot worse than Ian :shock: , more than just once - or twice........ :roll:

The good news is........... I have a garage - WHOOPEE!!!! :wink:

Mmm, rear pads, now that'd be territory I've not ventured into, but hey 8) always good for a laugh :shock:

Aww c'mon Ian, you promised not to tell about me losing ALL the skin on my hands :roll: - they are looking much better now, picking my nose is much less painful :shock:

Whatever you do, don't drink brakefluid............. ahhhm neat, mix it with tea or coffee, then it's fine :oops:

·
2,428 Posts
Mostly, for some reason, i seem to be called Stuart. No idea!
Anyways, how hospitable is THAT!?!
So, I'll bring the whole shootin match to your garage - great idea :D

If I work up the courage to tackle the little devils of course!

Ciao
Steve

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No worries!! 8) 8)

The really great thing is that the uber Africa Twin Mine of Knowledge and Experience, the Right Honourable Mr Yen Powell :lol: (that'll make him happy 8) ) lives about a mile away :wink:

Any screams for help can be quickly answered!! Actually, I'll put the kettle on and he'll be quite happy to pop round!! :lol: :lol:

Right - I'm going for a ride :lol: just because I can!! 8)

Ciao!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts